JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Just buy a burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle and be done. The last one I bought new, a few months ago, cost $131.00 and works great for both deer and elk hunting..

A range finder isn't an aiming device (unless it's built in to the scope which is rare).

So, scopes or sights with batteries are illegal in Oregon. So, bring on scopes with solar power!
  • Scopes, and sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy are not allowed except for visually impaired hunters (a permit is required. Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.

You're quoting from the Oregon Muzzleloader regulations.

For centerfire rifles the pertinent section is:

It is unlawful to:

Use an artificial light for hunting any wildlife, except raccoon, bobcat and opossum provided the light is not cast from or attached to a motor vehicle. This includes laser sights or any other sights which project a beam to the target, including scopes with electronic rangefinders and scopes that receive information from a rangefinder or any electronic device. This does not include battery operated sights which only light the reticle.

I think I've said this before, stop going down the rabbit hole.

Get a Mark 1 Mod 0 fixed 4 power scope (Leupold is good) and learn to shoot, learn to hunt.

Last Edited:
I am still learning. Is the Leupold 2 - 7 that you mention above for 200 yards? If so, it sounds like, unless I was hunting over in eastern Oregon, a 2 would be all I need? Or am I misunderstanding what the 2 represents?
You would be correct in my opine, if you have normal vision.
I'd say 3 power (3 times ) would be max, if a fixed scope, and helpful, for western general hunts albeit the closeness of most units, a few clear cuts notwithstanding, can be served very well without a scope.

As an aside, I got carried away with the subject in my last post, the scope I spoke of should have read 2.5 X 8 not 2-7.:confused: I'm pulling the old card. :rolleyes:

And is the first number (3- 9×40 or 4- 12x50) about the quality of the scope?

disapproving_look.jpg

I mean this in the most helpful way.

Do more reading and less posting. Much of the information that you seek can be found by a simple search on the internet, or even a thread search on this forum.

CLICK HERE for a start...

View attachment 560472

I mean this in the most helpful way.

Do more reading and less posting. Much of the information that you seek can be found by a simple search on the internet, or even a thread search on this forum.

CLICK HERE for a start...

I've suggested this, but it wasn't well received. I think asking questions about what is the best this or that is putting the cart before the horse if a basic understanding of how said topic works isn't yet understood.

I've suggested this, but it wasn't well received. I think asking questions about what is the best this or that is putting the cart before the horse if a basic understanding of how said topic works isn't yet understood.

There are many types of internet trolls...

One of which being trolls who pose as 'newbies' (clueless new members of the discussion group) that pose naive questions hoping to start a fight among the more experienced members.

There are many types of internet trolls...

One of which being trolls who pose as 'newbies' (clueless new members of the discussion group) that pose naive questions hoping to start a fight among the more experienced members.

I've experienced that here, but I assure you that is not the case. So please don't go there!!!

I reckon some folks like to learn by having conversations, and that's fine by me.

Conversations are good, but thread topics made WAY before basic understandings of shooting aren't. I mentioned reading more and posting less a while back, and was BLASTED as not good behaviour by a mod.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top