JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So, scopes or sights with batteries are illegal in Oregon. So, bring on scopes with solar power!
  • Scopes, and sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy are not allowed except for visually impaired hunters (a permit is required. Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.

Hmmm, I have two scopes with batteries for illuminated reticles, which AFAIK is legal in Oregon.

I chose the Leupold VX6 1-6 for my rifles, and got the 'Custom Dials' for them (first set is free). Using the CDS is straightforward, but you do have the additional cost of a good rangefinder.

Leupold has discontinued the VX6. I think their original MSRP was around $1300, but you can find them now for around $700.

Holy cow, Batman! These videos are cool!

This depends greatly on the environment - lower power for close range and higher for longer range. I am also under the belief that you can have too much magnification in a hunting scope. I know of no easy answer for this - buy a good quality scope it costs a little more but you can depend on them. I like the old Varix II 2-7 scopes a lot and have several. A goo 2-7 or 3-9 is a good place to start.
@JRuby is spot on;
The Leupold 2 -7 I bought when they first came out over a half century ago is still my most recommended for all Oregon hunting . Sleek, light, rugged, brighter at low light than my 3-9 of the same family and less disastrous if accidently left on 7 as opposed to 9 when a close up comes by though it rarely leaves 3 setting because I found I could still tell a forked horn at 300 yards where anything less was iffy to impossible for me. Not being able to distinguish legal game features at a distance when they're moving around with a crowd was the primary reason I went to scopes as before that, iron did just fine. Now my old eyes appreciate them even more.
Among other older fine scopes, I have a fairly new Leupold VX3i 4.5x14, and on a hunting rig no less which I used successfully last season. Definitely a fine rig, especially if you are going after weary far off varmints, maybe goats, but in truth, is bigger, heavier, the adj. knobs stick out farther and look branches, and optically speaking, I believe really is an unnecessary overkill for general hunting season needs, maybe even a hindrance.

3-9, 2-10, 3-12.
Don't need much more than that for hunting deer and elk at reasonable distances. Wide FOV is more important. And I've touched on this before.
Really can't go wrong Vx3i, monarch, viper.
My next scope is going to be a tract TEKOA 3-12x42 T-Plex Riflescope | TRACT
I already have fews scope laying around and not enough rifles.
Don't forget to get quality rings.
Talley or dnz
So prepare me? What is a reasonable price for rings?

So, Bill, how does this rule work? The scope is illegal if it uses batteries to illuminate? The rangefinder, I am assuming uses batteries, but it is legal?

IDK, remember I don't hunt anymore! LOL

I think they are saying you can't have a scope that projects anything. A rangefinder uses a laser and lasers are illegal to hunt with. IDK

The future is now, friends. Utilizing the latest CRISS (Counter-Rotation-Image-Stabilization-System), Hornady has once again outdone themselves.

The only drawback to these rounds is that they have to be stored in a bucket of steam. Kind of a bother, but worth it for some folks.

Not really.

But how about this Terminator-esque scope?

OMG, I wish my uncle was still alive and I could see the reaction to the latest stuff? Eventually, there will be smart bullets! Probably the military has them, but the public just doesn't know about it!

OMG, I wish my uncle was still alive and I could see the reaction to the latest stuff? Eventually, there will be smart bullets! Probably the military has them, but the public just doesn't know about it!

And you will be able to sit at home and illuminate your kill with a laser designator for your armed drone. Then you really will be an "Armchair Computer Bullshooter"!!!:p:p;)

No names ring a bell to me.

Ive owned in the $ to the $$$$.

I have scopes in the $$ i really really like as well as a few in the $ that are simply great for their purposes.

If I had to say which is my fave.

I'd say 3-9x40 and nothing more.

That should do just about everything minus long range shooting, but even then it could.

I'd be as bold to say it's the best hunting scope, the 3-9.

Two of my favorites are the Nikon monarch gold 1.5X6X42 this scope is no longer made but can be found used I've shot running coyotes at 20 yards and steel plates at 300 yards with it gathers light better then most scopes I've tried, second is an Aimpoint 9000 sc very fast sight great in low light really good for timber hunting but I can hit my coyote target at 200 yards no problem.

I chose the Leupold VX6 1-6 for my rifles, and got the 'Custom Dials' for them (first set is free). Using the CDS is straightforward, but you do have the additional cost of a good rangefinder.

Leupold has discontinued the VX6. I think their original MSRP was around $1300, but you can find them now for around $700.

So, Howard1955 or anyone else who cares to answer, are these scopes legal in Oregon? I looked up the regs, but I didn't see anything about rangefinders. Any active hunters know if rangefinders are legal here in Oregon? Geez, I could see a rangefinder helping a new hunter, like myself, get used to estimating yardage and not even needing it over time.

So, Howard1955 or anyone else who cares to answer, are these scopes legal in Oregon? I looked up the regs, but I didn't see anything about rangefinders. Any active hunters know if rangefinders are legal here in Oregon? Geez, I could see a rangefinder helping a new hunter, like myself, get used to estimating yardage and not even needing it over time.

If they're illegal, that's news to me. But given the current level of stupidity in elected officials, it's possible.

Yes they are legal you can not use a aiming device that projects a light beem to the animal as in a laser.

@JRuby is spot on;
The Leupold 2 -7 I bought when they first came out over a half century ago is still my most recommended for all Oregon hunting . Sleek, light, rugged, brighter at low light than my 3-9 of the same family and less disastrous if accidently left on 7 as opposed to 9 when a close up comes by though it rarely leaves 3 setting because I found I could still tell a forked horn at 300 yards where anything less was iffy to impossible for me. Not being able to distinguish legal game features at a distance when they're moving around with a crowd was the primary reason I went to scopes as before that, iron did just fine. Now my old eyes appreciate them even more.
Among other older fine scopes, I have a fairly new Leupold VX3i 4.5x14, and on a hunting rig no less which I used successfully last season. Definitely a fine rig, especially if you are going after weary far off varmints, maybe goats, but in truth, is bigger, heavier, the adj. knobs stick out farther and look branches, and optically speaking, I believe really is an unnecessary overkill for general hunting season needs, maybe even a hindrance.
I am still learning. Is the Leupold 2 - 7 that you mention above for 200 yards? If so, it sounds like, unless I was hunting over in eastern Oregon, a 2 would be all I need? Or am I misunderstanding what the 2 represents?

If they're illegal, that's news to me. But given the current level of stupidity in elected officials, it's possible.
Yes they are legal you can not use a aiming device that projects a light beem to the animal as in a laser.
Okay, ya'll, how does the rangefinder sense the distance to the game, as I would think the rangefinder would have to use something that would come back to communicate the distance?

Status

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top