JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
How about you tell us a little more information.

Here are some questions you can answer to help evaluate our responses.

1: your age and eyesight. Any issues?
2: budget, don't ask and say the sky is the limit if you can afford a Simmons.
3: caliber you want to use, or a range of calibers....
4: do you want a parallax adjustment or a fixed parallax.
5: range you wish to shoot at

Be real with us so we can truly help you. Nobody needs to go down the hypothetical rabbit home only to be criticized and critiqued for trying to help.

Short of you giving more answers, you deserve no reasonable response.
1. I'm retired but have 20/20 vision.
2. Already stated that I prefer to keep it $500 or less, but could be enticed to go to $700.
3. 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08
4. Set or adjustable parallax -- not sure which is best
5. Range -- Won't be joining one yet, I understand it costs quite a bit for initial start up fees, so I will go to outdoor free sites for now and measure distance by walking off

As far as being real, that's my style. Being evasive doesn't help me learn.

To be honest, most have poured out endless information on all all these threads, so a little gratitude could go along ways. I'm failing to see how these ending comments are constructive or beneficial.
Just because someone gives a curt answer, we retain the ability to pick up the "offense" or not.

Please consider rule #1 of being excellent to eachother.

To be honest, most have poured out endless information on all all these threads, so a little gratitude could go along ways. I'm failing to see how these ending comments are constructive or beneficial.
Just because someone gives a curt answer, we retain the ability to pick up the "offense" or not.

Please consider rule #1 of being excellent to eachother.
I attempted to answer all of the concerns including being real and honest. No disrespect intended!

I started with a $50 Tasco when I had exceptional eyesight. It was tough since it survived being bashed on a rock on its first elk hunt. Then I had the outstanding Swarovski American 3-9x36, with the German number four reticle. It retained it's zero year to year for only $435. Two trips to the factory for repair. This is a very light in weight scope which handled recoil well. The 36 mm ocular allowed low to the bore mounting . Now I use Leupold due to their waterproof quality and eye relief. Check out Optics for the Hunter, by John Barsness.
Good quality rings and bases are also necessary.

2. Already stated that I prefer to keep it $500 or less, but could be enticed to go to $700.
5. Range -- Won't be joining one yet, I understand it costs quite a bit for initial start up fees, so I will go to outdoor free sites for now and measure distance by walking off

Range, as in distance.

This is the sort of information that should be the OP (or in this particular case, your first post) rather than spread though out the thread.

If you are just learning and don't want to spend a lot on something you may not end up using enough to justify the cost involved then a Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40 would be fine. I have had a lot of hunting success and I mean a lot using these. Used them on 22lr, 22mag, 223, 243, 30-30, 30-06, 401 wildcat, 338, 45/70, 300mag, 7.62x39 and maybe a few more. Always worked fine held zero and made a successful hunt. BiMart usually has a sale on these at least once a yr also.

I don't care for the BDC version I use the Nikoplex.
Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff Rifle Scope w/ BDC Reticle w/ Free S&H — 3 models

I started with a $50 Tasco when I had exceptional eyesight. It was tough since it survived being bashed on a rock on its first elk hunt. Then I had the outstanding Swarovski American 3-9x36, with the German number four reticle. It retained it's zero year to year for only $435. Two trips to the factory for repair. This is a very light in weight scope which handled recoil well. The 36 mm ocular allowed low to the bore mounting . Now I use Leupold due to their waterproof quality and eye relief. Check out Optics for the Hunter, by John Barsness.
Good quality rings and bases are also necessary.
Excellent suggestions!

we retain the ability to pick up the "offense" or not

W81g79Jl8GtMQIqmVnP6YH8paiLH7kHJ0bpg8F1myY2JSW4kgHS7Nds1XP51lee4mcsB6XjA&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio1-1.jpg
:D:D:D

Range, as in distance.

This is the sort of information that should be the OP (or in this particular case, your first post) rather than spread though out the thread.
Oops, sorry! Staying within 100 yards for this year and I will see how it goes. I have no idea how quickly I will advance. It may be that when I purchase a centerfire that my performance may improve. So, my goal is to really be accurate at 100 yards and extend to 200 yards.

So, what I have gleaned so far is a decent scope doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. There are certain features that I want to look for: 2-7 is adequate and 3-9 may be all I will ever need; the 40 is a good number for the object lense; eye relief is a must (it should be easy and comfortable to look through); FOV (and more magnification decreases the FOV); excellent low light transmission (for dawn and dusk conditions); and quality turrets. The scope brands that are probably in my price range are Leupold, Vortex, and Nikon. Also, get quality rings and don't go cheap. And I want a rangefinder, because it would help me with having a better sense for distances. I think that's a decent list, but maybe not exhaustive. Thanks so much to you and many others for your suggestions!!! So, I learned a little yesterday, and I took notes. With that said, there's so much more for me to learn about scopes. So, for those who participated in this thread your contributions were not in vain! :)

Good to know.

You have a couple calibers here that have potential to shoot a reasonable distance if the shooter does their part with an optic.

My suggestion:

3-9 magnification due to 100y ranges
My advice: 4-12 or 4-16 because of caliber selection.​

40-50mm objective is good, 50mm on the 4x optics

With your abilities: go fixed parallax (150y is common) due to inexperience

You can reduce your scope budget and find a Leupold or Nikon well within those ranges for $250. Will leave you ample room for a rangefinder. Knowing your rifles reticle and reading a manual will help you rangefind within your rifles reticle.

A thread like this should never be about throwing money down a bottomless pit that is well beyond your skill level.

Get what you can use that is not too complex before you learn the fundamentals.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top