JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Scopes ... what are you guys talking about? Iron sights work just fine! :p

Kidding. They can help in many applications. Though I've bother with very little over the years, some have been so equipped. Leupold has always put out good glass. (Though I have my reservations about the sincerity of any of this.) On that note, jaja, another one of these threads. I am presently too tired and preoccupied with various matters (personal, business, and pleasure) to elaborate further.

P.S. I haven't read the whole thread, but to anyone getting huffy, remember, it doesn't matter. Exceedingly few things do in this crazy world and even more so in the panoply of history. I'll leave it at that. Godspeed, amigos. :s0155:

Joke threads clutter the board and are disruptive. I'll leave it at that.

Carry on...

I started this thread. If you thought it was a joke, you could have asked or mentioned that instead of accusing somebody of trolling.

Had you bothered to read the thread, you would know it's not a joke thread, of which I've seen NONE in this section of the board. You surely must be thinking of some other board. You've been here since Feb 19,2019 and your going to lecture me on the contents of this forum? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

EFBE5176-7400-4FB4-BB65-A69E64325B72.jpeg

If there is something more specific to what makes your rifle scope exceptional, sell me on it?

How about you tell us a little more information.

Here are some questions you can answer to help evaluate our responses.

1: your age and eyesight. Any issues?
2: budget, don't ask and say the sky is the limit if you can afford a Simmons.
3: caliber you want to use, or a range of calibers....
4: do you want a parallax adjustment or a fixed parallax.
5: range you wish to shoot at

Be real with us so we can truly help you. Nobody needs to go down the hypothetical rabbit home only to be criticized and critiqued for trying to help.

Short of you giving more answers, you deserve no reasonable response.

I am still learning. Is the Leupold 2 - 7 that you mention above for 200 yards? If so, it sounds like, unless I was hunting over in eastern Oregon, a 2 would be all I need? Or am I misunderstanding what the 2 represents?

The scope has adjustable magnification from TIMES 2 up to TIME 7. ANY scope will 'do' 200 yards, in fact, right out to the Andromeda Galaxy.

Okay, ya'll, how does the rangefinder sense the distance to the game, as I would think the rangefinder would have to use something that would come back to communicate the distance?

You read it. A hand-held rangefinder has a digital readout that you look at. The laser rangefinder sends a laser beam at the target at which you point it, which is detected by its return reflection off the target. You can alter the setting to read yards or meters.

However, this is called an ACTIVE rangefinding system because it EMITS a laser beam.

A NON-active rangefinder doesn't emit anything, so it is called a PASSIVE system. It uses a fixed lens and a swivelling lens. When you look through it you'll see TWO images of the target - you then adjust the view until the two images coincide, and read off the distance on a scale. This is exactly how your own eyes work. So-called coincident rangefinders are old hat these days, but because they are PASSIVE they do not infringe any particular State hunting laws, where there are such things.

i use a fixed 4x for most of my hunting as i don't like to shoot at game beyond 400m. i have a compact 300BO rifle with a vortex PST 1-4 but thats the only variation.
varmint hunting rigs, LR, ELR are completely different.

more magnification means a smaller field of view.

i would focus on lens quality, coating = light transmission (low light shooting opportunities) and its ability to hold a zero for a hunting optic.

@OP, as it seems that you have nobody to ask, and everybody here, including me, are falling over themselves in an effort to pass on complicated information about what is, let's be frank, a complicated piece of optical engineering and technology, howsabout you read this.

Everything you wanted to know about telescopic sights but were afraid to ask

Failing that, get yourself to a good-sized gunstore and rob it of all the available brochures from the scope brands that they carry. Most good brands, including US makers like Leupold/Weaver/Bushnell/Nightforce and so on have explanatory leaflets naming the parts. Since you are based in Oregon, then both Leupold [scopes] and Warne [mounts and rings] are based in sunny Beaverton and Tualatin. and while you are in the neighbourhood of Tualatin, there is a HUGE Cabela's store right there with a gazillion scopes and mounts.

On the other side of the river, Sportsmans Warehouse out by the airport is also a good-to-go place. If Ken Palmer is still there behind the counter, he is one seriously helpful dude. Tell him I said so.

But the truth is that you REALLY need to get out with somebody who HAS a scope-mounted rifle, and get your hands on it, and your eyeball looking through it in order to relate to all the stuff that we've told you about.

Right now you seem to be doing the equivalent of asking about suspension spring rebound rates on a future car without ever having sat in one, and it's getting some of us a mite tizzy.

Last Edited:
But the truth is that you REALLY need to get out with somebody who HAS a scope-mounted rifle, and get your hands on it, and your eyeball looking through it in order to relate to all the stuff that we've told you about.

This is excellent advice.
Going out a shooting is a great way to find out what is best...as in best for you.
What someone says is best , generally is....as in best for them...maybe not you.

By the way...there is no such thing as the absolute best in :
Optics..
Rifles..
Or Caliber...
Any of the above only works as good as the person who is using them.

Getting out and learning to shoot and hunt is often the only way to find what is best for you and how you shoot and hunt...
What you learn about something via the internet , face to face conversation , checking something out at a store , maybe vastly different , when you apply or use what you have and learned , on the range...
Andy

Lol.
100$ this guy won't buy a gun till next year. And it will be nothing what people suggested.
Has to be 200 replies ago pharm and I told him tikka in 7-08 with leupold vx2 CDS. I even said then with all this great and simple info given....he won't listen.
Now we are on a 3rd thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top