JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I chose the Leupold VX6 1-6 for my rifles, and got the 'Custom Dials' for them (first set is free). Using the CDS is straightforward, but you do have the additional cost of a good rangefinder.

Leupold has discontinued the VX6. I think their original MSRP was around $1300, but you can find them now for around $700.

Again, great and useful stuff! So, here goes! A scope enables the view of the target/game etc., so when a shooter focuses on the point of impact does he/she have to somewhat guess on the bullet trajectory, distance, and so on? At this point, I am guessing that just because the scope indicates you will make a spine shot doesn't mean you will in reality?

We prefer not to "guess" on trajectory and distance. However, the new craze which promotes leaning on range finders and scopes with all-too-accessible and decorated knobs to turn rarely finds an opportunity in the hunting field (television shows that sell range finders and decorated knob scopes notwithstanding).

Prior to the craze, a hunter practiced learning both (trajectory and distance estimation). Having practiced, he then made "educated guesses" as to both in a hunting situation and things amazingly worked out (most of the time). Even a modern-equipped hunter with a range finder and attractive knobs on his scope is an unmitigated fool if he does not practice to learn trajectory and distance estimation without his crutches. When the monster of a lifetime steps out, he will step away faster while you play with your toys.

I just looked that brand up, and they have a lifetime warranty. I read an article by someone who stated that a company who wouldn't put a lifetime guarantee on their product wasn't worth buying! So, I wonder who agrees with the lifetime guarantee for a scope?

Vortex has a lifetime warranty as well. Who WOULDN'T agree with a lifetime warranty?

I agree with spitpatch.

As someone mentioned earlier, since your intended range is less that 200yds, you would zero your scope for 200yds. Then you can pretty much just aim and shoot at the animal that you guess is at 200yds or less.

Trajectory: the scope is mounted above the barrel by 1.5" - 2"... so the bullet leaves the barrel below the line of sight, at some point crosses the line of sight, then rises above the line of sight, then meets the intended spot at the zero range/distance, then continues below the zero, until it eventually meets the ground or some other obstacle.

Ouch!! There must be a story/article behind that one.

OK, just for shoots and grins, what brand has ironclad repeatable turrets?

I get the joke, but how is turret movement applicable to a 100-200 yard hunter that will never touch his turrets once set. He is not a long distance target shooter. (or a sniper)
I guess that went over my head? Sounds like a turret must be a setting that doesn't supposedly change, unless it's zero?

I agree with spitpatch.

As someone mentioned earlier, since your intended range is less that 200yds, you would zero your scope for 200yds. Then you can pretty much just aim and shoot at the animal that you guess is at 200yds or less.

Trajectory: the scope is mounted above the barrel by 1.5" - 2"... so the bullet leaves the barrel below the line of sight, at some point crosses the line of sight, then rises above the line of sight, then meets the intended spot at the zero range/distance, then continues below the zero, until it eventually meets the ground or some other obstacle.
SHAZAM!!!

I am the friend bbbass started this thread for. Many on this forum know I'm new to shooting. I am providing some information to offer some context for further discussion. I understand that the scope should fit the rifle caliber. Also, some scopes are exceptional for dawn and dusk. Is there a scope that is more difficult for hunting use due to too much magnification? So, what magnification do I want to use starting out at 100 or 200 yards? I highly doubt I will be trying for anything much beyond a 100 yards any time soon anyway! It sounds like 9x40 is the standard hunting scope; so, I am guessing those numbers are good for a certain distance? And is the first number (3- 9×40 or 4- 12x50) about the quality of the scope? I have a fair idea that Leupold and Vortex make great rifle scopes. Someone mentioned the Nikon Monarch as an option, and I realize it costs more than a few shekels! And speaking of cost, it sounds like a quality scope is not cheap. So, what do you like? Some scopes have options for figuring out wind, distance, etc., and so what are the must-have features on a scope? What should I be looking for in a scope for target practice and hunting? Does the game I am hunting for determine the scope? If you like, simply share what scope you use on your favorite rifle? What would you say is a good buy for a scope? For beginning, I am thinking of the Nikon Monarch and it costs @ $385. Don't try to answer any (and certainly not all) of my questions. If there is something more specific to what makes your rifle scope exceptional, sell me on it?

Here is a seemingly new concept. Don't know how good the glass is, but the scope connects with the rangefinder via Bluetooth, and provides appropriate windage and holdover. ???? I plan to get one later this year, just because the idea intrigues me.

Sig Sauer SIERRA3BDX Ballistic Data Xchange Rifle - MPN: SOK14BDX01

Midway has a 10% off optics with code: OFFER86898

I guess that went over my head? Sounds like a turret must be a setting that doesn't supposedly change, unless it's zero?

Turrets are the knobs on the scope where adjustments are made for point of impact. On a typical hunting scope, the knobs have a cap/cover that has a dial underneath. The dial has "clicks" and a slot for turning it. When turned, the point of impact where the reticle/crosshairs is aimed moves. The knob on the side is for windage (left/right). The knob on the top is for verticle (up/down).

Some scopes feature turrets that allow the point of impact to be moved by simply turning the knob, rather than under the cap with a slot. This allows for (relatively) rapid point of impact changes. But when the scope is needed to return to the original zero, there must be "repeatability"... ie, the scope MUST return to the same zero, or point of impact. Otherwise it would be pretty much useless.

Last Edited:
Scope questions

Per greenbug:

The illuminated reticle part is legal in Oregon. The part that transmits/receives info via Bluetooth is now illegal per the new 2019 Oregon regulations. So the Sig Sauer BDX system is in fact illegal to hunt with in Oregon as of 2019.:(

(Edit: I know there are complaints about this rule change, but they gotta determine what constitutes "fair chase". How soon will there be guided bullets? Is infrared legal? It's kinda like how they made hunting with inline BP that uses shotgun primers prohibited. BP hunting was not really BP hunting anymore... too much advantage.)

Last Edited:
So, scopes or sights with batteries are illegal in Oregon. So, bring on scopes with solar power!
  • Scopes, and sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy are not allowed except for visually impaired hunters (a permit is required. Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.

WARNING: ATTEMPTED HUMOR AHEAD

The future is now, friends. Utilizing the latest CRISS (Counter-Rotation-Image-Stabilization-System), Hornady has once again outdone themselves.

The only drawback to these rounds is that they have to be stored in a bucket of steam. Kind of a bother, but worth it for some folks.

Not really.

But how about this Terminator-esque scope?

Last Edited:
3-9, 2-10, 3-12.
Don't need much more than that for hunting deer and elk at reasonable distances. Wide FOV is more important. And I've touched on this before.
Really can't go wrong Vx3i, monarch, viper.
My next scope is going to be a tract TEKOA 3-12x42 T-Plex Riflescope | TRACT
I already have fews scope laying around and not enough rifles.
Don't forget to get quality rings.
Talley or dnz

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR