JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Between 1913 and 1980, this little 7x57 was in use a couple of times a week for pot meat in SE Africa.

upload_2019-3-18_12-52-14.png

I'm curious, how many here talk calibers, but actually have hunted?

Asking for a friend.

Been hunting for about 50 years now... Different game from year to year. I admit most recently to doing more waterfowl hunting in Washington than deer and elk, but that's because they keep screwing with the game regs, seasons, and costs. I realized awhile back that it costs only slightly more to go out of state for big game and better hunting, so lately my deer/elk dollars are going to states that appreciate hunters... That's also why most of my shots are in excess of 300 yards though. I don't have photos to post unfortunately.

Until I go hunting for the first time, I have to decide from others what will work best for me. Or, as several have advised, try before you buy. And, I have to go by charts like this: Right Cartridge for Hunting.jpg

No need for anyone to act like a cat twitching it's tail! I may not ever own every gun known to God and man, so I have to figure out for my next purchase what is the best all-around caliber for deer. In my former thread discussion included elk, so I intentionally limited it to deer this time. I understand that there are several excellent cartridges in the 30 caliber family, and, for performance, are close to the 308--the 6.5 cm and the 7mm -08. Someone posted a lady killing an elk with the 7mm -08 which was quite impressive. It could be that any of the calibers for deer, with a well-placed shot, are capable of something bigger. As someone posted a few days ago, a Cree woman killed a grizzly with a 22. Personally, I hope to never have to be in a situation where I have to shoot with a 22 to defend myself with a 22.

@ the OP, this thread is pretty much just like your other one. And in that one and now this one you keep leaning towards the .308 and it seems you're looking for people to agree with you.

So go buy a damned .308 already and get good with it so when fall comes you are ready and able.

@ the OP, this thread is pretty much just like your other one. And in that one and now this one you keep leaning towards the .308 and it seems you're looking for people to agree with you.

So go buy a damned .308 already and get good with it so when fall comes you are ready and able.
You are the only moderator who makes me feel like you have an ax to grind on this forum. I have been on here about one month, have identified as having no shooting or hunting experience, and I want to learn. (I can't go practice at the moment, because I am waiting for Ruger to send me a new sight for my rifle. FYI. When, I get my rifle sighted-in, I will be practicing a ton!) BTW, my last thread was about the best hunting rifle and this one is about caliber, although the two can overlap. Your last sentence comes across as condescending. Whether you intended it that way or not, it came across as shut up and just go buy a gun! BTW, I probably lean more to 6.5 cm, but I could not go wrong with many calibers mentioned here. I originally thought I wanted to get a lever-action, and the conversations have influenced me to think of a rifle that tends to have more accuracy--bolt-action. The last thread got shut down, because a couple of people crossed the line with each other. Remember, I don't know you yet and can't hear your tone of voice. Therefore, I can only tell you it came across like you were exasperated.

Nah, I think you're putting a little too much into "feelings" here. If I came across any particular way is because I think you've beaten this topic to death. Your "best rifle" thread turned into a caliber debate and now we have this one. So my point was less talk and more hands on experience and learning. It's been stated many times that .308 and 6.5CM will do just fine. The magic answer you seem to be looking for doesn't exist. So make your choice and then practice and get good with it so you can make a clean shot. Shot placement is more important than caliber.

Oh, and I don't care if I'm a mod, I'm still going to post and speak my mind like everyone else does so you can stop pointing it out ok?
:)

Baker County closed the old Lime concrete location... but it was right off the freeway and they couldn't keep people out of it. After somebody broke a leg there, the County ordered complete demolition... at taxpayer expense.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads