JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Trying to decide the absolute all-around best caliber, the .308 has way more ammunition choices for range practice and hunting. It probably depends on where it's purchased, but most of the caliber's mentioned in this thread are not that much different in price; and will be effective in bagging a deer. At one store, the .308 is far cheaper than anything else, but at Walmart .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are close in price. It may come down to distance where some calibers begin to separate from others. In Oregon, 100 yards seems to be the standard distance. So, no doubt many of the calibers would work. I am not ready to purchase a rifle yet, but I see myself doing a great deal of practice with my hunting rifle. Because I am mindful of cost, the .308 makes the most sense. However, I think the 6.5 cm is closing the gap in popularity, and ammo will eventually become comparable to the cost of the .308. I noticed in 2018, several rifle manufacturers added the Creedmoor to many of their model's.

Just because its in more magazines, doesn't make it more popular. Remember, the 308 is a relative newcomer and it came out in the early 50s. The 270 has been around since 1925 and the 30-06 since 1906. There just isn't much you can say that hasn't been said. But, new stuff hasn't been beat to death yet, so it gets the attention.

Just because its in more magazines, doesn't make it more popular. Remember, the 308 is a relative newcomer and it came out in the early 50s. The 270 has been around since 1925 and the 30-06 since 1906. There just isn't much you can say that hasn't been said. But, new stuff hasn't been beat to death yet, so it gets the attention.
In all fairness, I would need to do a broad comparison of retailers to ascertain real numbers. With that said, I have noticed .308 rifles are two-to-one over any other caliber rifle at Sportsmans Warehouse. Also, ammo is cheaper in .308 than any other caliber at Sportsmans Warehouse, which I interpret is due to popularity. Of course, it doesn't mean it's better, but does indicate it is the most widely used. Creedmoor is widening the gap at Sportsmans Warehouse in rifles being offered and is currently trailing only the .308.

In all fairness, I would need to do a broad comparison of retailers to ascertain real numbers. With that said, I have noticed .308 rifles are two-to-one over any other caliber rifle at Sportsmans Warehouse. Also, ammo is cheaper in .308 than any other caliber at Sportsmans Warehouse, which I interpret is due to popularity. Of course, it doesn't mean it's better, but does indicate it is the most widely used. Creedmoor is widening the gap at Sportsmans Warehouse in rifles being offered and is currently trailing only the .308.
I'd say you are on the right track with 308.

You are also on the right path as hunting goes. Most shots are within 100 yards due to the forests we hunt in.

I've witnessed two types of hunters here in Oregon for deer and elk.

Stalkers and shooters.

Stalkers (from my personal opinion) walk trails, set up tree stands, hide up in a blind, etc. Taking close range shots.

Shooters, also from my perspective not a literal translation, sit up on clear cuts overlooking with bingos or spotting scopes, then take 600-1200 yard shots. They then spend the next 8-12 hours getting the damn animal out of the Devine they shot it in. Lol, don't answer your friends phone calls in elk season if you know better.

I haven't hunted deer since 2015. I went with a light 18" barreled 308. The two prior hunts it was with a 26" 30-06. I ate it so much I decided to buy a smaller gun. I didn't take anything with the 308, however I did sell it to a member here who harvested a nice buck with it last year. So I felt good it did what it was supposed to.

upload_2019-3-17_16-13-21.jpeg

308 will likely get you some cheap practice ammo. If you ever do reload, its also easy to come up with a decent load. Its a reason I like the 270 as well. You can get cheap Federal blue box for around $14 a box and its actually not a bad load for deer. 270 and 30-06 will make up the lions share of hunting loads in most stores. The 243, 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag probably make up 90% of what you'll see in the woods.

7mm Mauser
7mm Rem Mag
7mm-08
.30-30
.30-06
.300 Savage
.30-40 Krag
.300 Win Mag
.300 H&H
.45-70
All make excellent all around deer/ big game calibers , when loaded with the proper style bullet.

As for what makes the "Best"...is hugely subjective.
Where you are hunting , how you hunt , the physical shape that you are in...
What rifle types you like...
How the rifle fits you and the ease of carrying and shooting it , under less than ideal range conditions...
Are all important things to consider.
Maybe they are even more important to think about than what is the "best caliber"...
Simply because , the "Best caliber" rifle in the world , ain't worth a damn if you can't hunt and shoot with it.
Andy

308 will likely get you some cheap practice ammo. If you ever do reload, its also easy to come up with a decent load. Its a reason I like the 270 as well. You can get cheap Federal blue box for around $14 a box and its actually not a bad load for deer. 270 and 30-06 will make up the lions share of hunting loads in most stores. The 243, 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag probably make up 90% of what you'll see in the woods.
So, the Lucky Gunner is on of the biggest online ammunition sites and each caliber shows how many different brands or size offerings that can be purchased. I decided to compare 223, because it's a favorite target load, to compare with the others. Currently, several calibers are apparently in greater demand, but I'll make the prediction in the next five to ten years that will change. The Creedmoor is most likely the more popular competition ammo than for deer. I was surprised that the 223 is the no. 1 ammo, .308 second, and 30-06 third.

30-06 - 79
223 - 161
243 - 37
25-06 - 14
270 - 32
30-30 - 33
308 - 121
6.5 Creedmoor - 25
7mm-08 - 15
7mm Rem Magnum - 20
300 Blackout - 41
300 Win Mag - 34
45-70 - 11

I hunted with a .303 British Enfield, which worked fine for western Washington. I have since bought a .308 and .270 for hunting, but have never hunted with them. I also bought a .375 Winchester in a Marlin lever action, for those times that brush is thick - a 250 grain bullet is hard to deflect. Never hunted with it either. All four of those calibers have their uses, but I would have to go with the .270 if I started hunting again.

So, the Lucky Gunner is on of the biggest online ammunition sites and each caliber shows how many different brands or size offerings that can be purchased. I decided to compare 223, because it's a favorite target load, to compare with the others. Currently, several calibers are apparently in greater demand, but I'll make the prediction in the next five to ten years that will change. The Creedmoor is most likely the more popular competition ammo than for deer. I was surprised that the 223 is the no. 1 ammo, .308 second, and 30-06 third.

30-06 - 79
223 - 161
243 - 37
25-06 - 14
270 - 32
30-30 - 33
308 - 121
6.5 Creedmoor - 25
7mm-08 - 15
7mm Rem Magnum - 20
300 Blackout - 41
300 Win Mag - 34
45-70 - 11

I wouldnt be surprised if 2/3 of the 223 is some sort of xm193 or if 308 loads werent mostly m80 ball and 168gr match. Comparing 308 and 30-06 with just hunting ammo on Federal's website shows 2x more "deer loads" in 30-06 than 308.

If you really want a cheap deer gun that's effective with in 100/200 yards and with low recoil.
I'm going to throw a wrench in here.
Besides 223, the 7.62x39.
Think of the x39 as 30/30. But cheaper and accurate as you can get it in a bolt action and scoped.
cz527
And 2 groups with cheap Russian ammo
Imgur
Me personally I think 308 case is little short for 30 cal while it can be re loaded properly. Might as well get the 06 to shoot the heavier 180 or 220 if need to.

Sounds like you want the 6.5.
Just bite the bullet and do it

Brush gun logic as in big heavy slow bullet getting less deflection by a branch is a bad or stupid idea!
If you have a bad shot...don't take it!

Last year my daughter passed up a shot on a wall hanger bull at 70 yards because she had a bad angle and could have shot a cow instead, that was standing too close in front of the bull . He never gave us a 2nd opportunity.
I was a proud dad.
And little richer...no taxidermy bill

Brush gun logic as in big heavy slow bullet getting less deflection by a branch is a bad or stupid idea!
If you have a bad shot...don't take it!

Last year my daughter passed up a shot on a wall hanger bull at 70 yards because she had a bad angle and could have shot a cow instead, that was standing too close in front of the bull . He never gave us a 2nd opportunity.
I was a proud dad.
And little richer...no taxidermy bill

"Brush gun" is a falacy. I hunted with a guy who used a 35 whelen with 250gr bullets "for the brush". His load had a muzzle velocity of about 2550. Not real fast, big bullet, all good for the brush! He shot through some twigs at a cow and it went down like a wet sack of poo. Walked up on it and one guy says "great neck shot!" Hunter says "I was aiming at her ribs though". The bullet actually keyholed into the neck and hit the spone after hitting a twig.

Well, i gots to ask.... big bodied eastern side muleys or glorified goat sized western side fodder?
a 7mag will blow to heck an eastern buck without proper shot placement and will vaporize the western guys as an example.
match the gun and the load to the animal and distance. ie energy.

In 2011 I shot a spike back in Escanaba Michjgan at about 50 yards with a old jc higgins model 50 in 30-06. I was shooting 30-06 federal 165g standard hunting rounds. I put a exit wound on that deers back that you could pass a coffee mug through. It turned me off as a hunting load and caliber for deer. There are a lot of variables but I think a 30-06 is too much for deer. Yeah I know it's just my opinion. I have shot white tails with slugs that did not do that much damage.

I will fully admit that I will talk about how the milder cartridges are great for deer...

But I never met a magnum I didn't like. Ive used the 257 Wby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and 300 Wby Mag on deer and found them to be great. The areas I used to hunt rarely gave me a shot under 200 yards with most shots between 250 and 400 yards. Heavy for caliber bullets buck the wind and higher velocities keep trajectories flatter.

The 300 Weatherby is an impressive open country cartridge.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top