JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a friend in Hawaii who was on the golf course on the 3rd hole when they got the alerts. They looked at it, though well this sucks, not much we can do about it , best smoke a bowl, and call the drink cart girl for another Bloody Mary before everybody runs off and see how the round plays out.

They are pretty laid back older dudes, had a pretty intense doubt about it all, and basically said f it, what happens happens. Finished their round with hardly anybody else on the course.
Didn't they (not your friends) kinda drop the ball at Pearl Harbor a while back too.?
come on, guys!

Norks have terror missiles? Scud?
Range? on a good day?
Accuracy? Kidding?
Targets? Wash DC, Hollywood CA, The Islands, Japan?

America have sure-bet missiles? big, little, fat, skinny, short long, red, white?
Range? near, far, any where, any time?
Accuracy? Gnat's butt?
Targets? silly question?

I'm surprised Hawaii didn't see more of this. Perhaps too early in the day and called off too soon.
I'd bet there was some small scale pilfering.
Anyway, this is what I'd expect in most cities if the threat lasted any longer.

upload_2018-1-16_21-5-17.png

A friend called me when he got the alert on his phone and I told him that I don't believe the NorKs can reach Hawaii or the west coast yet. I also doubt that they have the guidance accuracy either.

My understanding of the situation is that guidance or accuracy isn't the issue. The issue with NORK hitting the CONUS is having a reentry vehicle capable of reliably surviving the atmosphere due to the steep reentry angle.

Hitting HI wouldn't have such issues;).

I expect this sort of thing to increase.

There are two perspectives; (1) Is the world perspective and (1) is the God perspective.

The former is the default and accepted by most as a natural way of thinking and planning. The latter is understood by few and generally dismissed by the former.

World has never had a full nuclear war so I have no idea what it would really be like. I doubt a warning would do this old man much good so a nice drink of whiskey while watching the world end on tv would have to do. If I survived the first wave of attacks I would try to move away from the valley to my brothers home way east but at my age it really doesn't matter.

A young man with good energy and the right stuff could make it if he didn't die in the first wave. He would have to be on his best game.o_O

I think if a man wanted to build blast protection in his back yard he could pretty easy. It would be too small to live it but if you got a warning you could jump into your pre made hole. Buy two 3 foot concrete sewer rings and a cover cap and set it in the ground in the back yard with a concrete floor to keep ground water out. Use the extra dirt for shielding. Man hole lid weighs 200 pounds so you would have to hope you new cover withstands a blast.

Great question...

If at work, I'd immediately leave and gather my youngest from school, heading home with her in tow...

Once home, everyone against an inside wall and protect from flying glass and objects (mattresses work pretty good for this)... Prepare for the onslaught...

If we're within the ground zero strike zone, then one last toast with the wife, hug each other and the kids, and say our goodbyes, we'll all be together on the other side, Father God is in charge.

Sobering to think about how fragile mankind is... Can be wiped out in a nanosecond...

World has never had a full nuclear war so I have no idea what it would really be like. I doubt a warning would do this old man much good so a nice drink of whiskey while watching the world end on tv would have to do. If I survived the first wave of attacks I would try to move away from the valley to my brothers home way east but at my age it really doesn't matter.

A young man with good energy and the right stuff could make it if he didn't die in the first wave. He would have to be on his best game.o_O

I think if a man wanted to build blast protection in his back yard he could pretty easy. It would be too small to live it but if you got a warning you could jump into your pre made hole. Buy two 3 foot concrete sewer rings and a cover cap and set it in the ground in the back yard with a concrete floor to keep ground water out. Use the extra dirt for shielding. Man hole lid weighs 200 pounds so you would have to hope you new cover withstands a blast.

No point (IMO) to making a blast protective shelter. If your in/near a blast zone, radiation will get you...slowly. Ewww...

WOW all over the board! So here are my thoughts. Not sure I would make it home so I would use the emergency radio call the wife and remind her what to do and that I would be there as soon as possible. ( Or say my good bye's) Then stay at the shop and defend from looters for awhile might be fun target practice before I go! At least I can go out with a bang! :D

If at home I would head for shelter and get prepared for the mayhem to begin.

WOW all over the board! So here are my thoughts. Not sure I would make it home so I would use the emergency radio call the wife and remind her what to do and that I would be there as soon as possible. ( Or say my good bye's) Then stay at the shop and defend from looters for awhile might be fun target practice before I go! At least I can go out with a bang! :D

If at home I would head for shelter and get prepared for the mayhem to begin.

Looters are the least of your worries if we receive an ICBM. ;)

No point (IMO) to making a blast protective shelter. If your in/near a blast zone, radiation will get you...slowly. Ewww...

I dont know, there may be a chance to live through the blast in a concrete shelter then leave the area while taking anti radiation pills. I believe the valley would either be self cleaning with lots of rain or a death trap if the radiaton lingers. Weather will be a big deal. Dust mask to keep out the particles and rain gear would give a man a chance but he would really have to know something about decontamination. The ISOPHAT ? pills are for 12 days and that' about how much food you could carry. A good healthy man might make it.o_O

I am trying to get my head around how we would be getting these timely alerts, internet alerts, cell phone texts, breaking news right after the daily weather report and high school football scores ?

Hawaii still has a system in place for tsunami's and from the civil defense days....

sub-buzz-9483-1511837763-1.jpg

Now as for the Portland area, the high thinking government officials of the day decided to remove our civil defense warning sirens to encourage warm and fuzzy feelings..{huh ?} So, my question is...err what ? o_O

Civil_Defense_Logo.jpg

I remember as a kid growing up back east, at noon each day they sounded the Civil Defense warning siren... Those were the days, Cold War at its height, fallout shelters in the basement of schools and many public buildings... Civil Defense sirens, practicing for the incoming Russian nukes...

Guess the progressive west coast doesn't need any of that...

I dont know, there may be a chance to live through the blast in a concrete shelter then leave the area while taking anti radiation pills. I believe the valley would either be self cleaning with lots of rain or a death trap if the radiaton lingers. Weather will be a big deal. Dust mask to keep out the particles and rain gear would give a man a chance but he would really have to know something about decontamination. The ISOPHAT ? pills are for 12 days and that' about how much food you could carry. A good healthy man might make it.o_O
I agree.......we have been inundated by myth about nuclear weapons. We used to stand live troops in proximity of free air explosions in the late 40's and early 50's. I know that our modern devices are different but many are designed to produce less actual blast damage concentrating on the EMT and radiation aspects of the event. In the only time(s) the devises were actually used in anger, people never quit living in the blast areas and they are heavily populated today with seemingly little or no ill effects. It would be a terrible event off course but I don't see it as a human life ending moment. Until the mid to late 50's there were serious considerations of using nuclear explosions for civil works projects like making harbors or changing the flows of rivers.

I agree.......we have been inundated by myth about nuclear weapons. We used to stand live troops in proximity of free air explosions in the late 40's and early 50's. I know that our modern devices are different but many are designed to produce less actual blast damage concentrating on the EMT and radiation aspects of the event. In the only time(s) the devises were actually used in anger, people never quit living in the blast areas and they are heavily populated today with seemingly little or no ill effects. It would be a terrible event off course but I don't see it as a human life ending moment. Until the mid to late 50's there were serious considerations of using nuclear explosions for civil works projects like making harbors or changing the flows of rivers.

I completely agree with this..... if it is a limited exchange... I mean hell the US could probably take several hundred nukes and still be not be "wiped off the face of the earth" even though it would change every citizen's life for years to come... On the other hand if its a total exchange.... Nope. Game over.

The Russians have around 7000 nukes. They send them all I hope I happen to be under one directly as what will be left will be a lot of folks slowly dying

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top