JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm surprised Hawaii didn't see more of this. Perhaps too early in the day and called off too soon.
I'd bet there was some small scale pilfering.
Anyway, this is what I'd expect in most cities if the threat lasted any longer.

View attachment 421902

Despite the popular belief, the population of people you have makes a major difference in the amount of looting that takes place.

Remember when Japan was rocked by a earthquake tsunami combo. Essentially no looting took place. Compare that to Katrina in the US, the people are what make the difference.

I agree.......we have been inundated by myth about nuclear weapons. We used to stand live troops in proximity of free air explosions in the late 40's and early 50's. I know that our modern devices are different but many are designed to produce less actual blast damage concentrating on the EMT and radiation aspects of the event. In the only time(s) the devises were actually used in anger, people never quit living in the blast areas and they are heavily populated today with seemingly little or no ill effects. It would be a terrible event off course but I don't see it as a human life ending moment. Until the mid to late 50's there were serious considerations of using nuclear explosions for civil works projects like making harbors or changing the flows of rivers.

I guess it would depend on the enemy that nukes us. I have never read what kind of bomb technology our enemies have so I have no idea if they would use neutron bombs with high radiation or dirty bombs that kill over time. It will be the luck of the draw who gets targeted but odds are the big cities will be second to go after military targets. There could be time for a Portlander to get to the Columbia River headed down stream before the first blast.

I think guys who survive the blast will thank their lucky stars if they packed a bag with rain gear and dust mask, along with radiation pills. You can wash off dust exposure and as long as you don't breath it in the you are pretty safe. Without rain gear it all sticks to your clothes and kills you real slow.

If I didn' have rain gear a big black garbage bag would help.

" Now if we were to let loose with some really big nukes on say Salem, Portland, Olympia and Seattle...we could blame it all on Kim Jung and get rid of all this gun control crap "

Dr.%20Strangelove%2C%20slice%201487.png

There are still plenty of fire sirens around in use. Locally they quit using them on every alarm caused they freaked people out. Our department used to blow if every day at noon. They had not been heard in our area in over 10 years, until two weeks ago when a local department ran one a full cycle at the memorial service for a past Chief, and then again a week later when a 30 year Captain retired and rode away his last time on a fire engine.

Being an old school firefighter, that made me bawl like a baby has I watched him ride off while the current Chief and his officers stood there saluting. There is really nothing to describe being in the building when those sirens are going, you feel the vibrations in the building in your gut, and they sure as hell are bad for the hearing.

The siren going off, the doors coming up, people running in the station, the smells of canvas fire hose and turn outs, diesel engines being started, lights being turned on, mounting up and knowing sh*t was about to get real.. never loses its appeal.

But now days, people hear that they are going to ask..' What is that ??" "What do we do ??" "Who is going to come help us ? "

The pills are primarily to protect folk from radiation in the food chain.

Lakes (blocks) uptake of isotope particles in the thyroid.

They do nothing as far as gamma radiation, that's where sheltering in place comes in.

Good enough shelter & ability to wait out the fall towards near background (nominal / "normal") radiation levels...one might live.

Would take extreme luck to do so, having monitoring equipment available and the skill to use it would help.

I'll be watching CNN from my basement "bunker" in the hope of seeing NK being wiped off the face of the earth. Also, I'll likely be sipping single malt whisky.

the thing about SHTF situations is everyone puts aside their political differences because everyone needs each other. Some liberal anti gunner is going to have a skillset that you need to survive, and suddenly they might need your gun skillset to survive the looters. Everyone puts down their differences and works together, talking about killing others over political differences is wrong.

heres a fun interactive map that shows the blast zone radius for Portland for various different types of nukes. Just select a NOKO nuke from the pulldown , your city, select 'detonate' and the kill zone will update, including the estimated deaths and injuries...
NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein

screenshot for a NOKO nuke and portland.

noko nuke portland.jpg

the thing about SHTF situations is everyone puts aside their political differences because everyone needs each other. Some liberal anti gunner is going to have a skillset that you need to survive, and suddenly they might need your gun skillset to survive the looters. Everyone puts down their differences and works together, talking about killing others over political differences is wrong.

heres a fun interactive map that shows the blast zone radius for Portland for various different types of nukes. Just select a NOKO nuke from the pulldown , your city, select 'detonate' and the kill zone will update, including the estimated deaths and injuries...
NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein

screenshot for a NOKO nuke and portland.

View attachment 421972
I might agree with some of that but as for the looter part nope those are people that will take your stuff no matter what situation I have family in Texas and New Orleans and when it was all going down some people where helping others and some where just there to take advantage of the people that had nothing

From most of what I've read, you wanna hunker down for 24 hours, most radioactive decay is fast, and the particles will lose lots of their energy within that time.

Shed the outer most layer of your clothes, try to keep the dust from hitting your skin and wash up. Head away from wherever the wind sent the debris.

My understanding of the situation is that guidance or accuracy isn't the issue. The issue with NORK hitting the CONUS is having a reentry vehicle capable of reliably surviving the atmosphere due to the steep reentry angle.

Hitting HI wouldn't have such issues;).

Hitting North Korea isn't much of a problem either. I'm betting that it will be glowing for the next ten thousand years.

tac

From most of what I've read, you wanna hunker down for 24 hours, most radioactive decay is fast, and the particles will lose lots of their energy within that time.

Shed the outer most layer of your clothes, try to keep the dust from hitting your skin and wash up. Head away from wherever the wind sent the debris.

Depends on where you are in relation to the blast.

Near the detonation area, hunker down in a shielded area for weeks.

Further out from the detonation area less. Also assuming you are in a shielded area.

Also depends on any number of factors if you have a few hours to escape from outside of the detonation area. Rain is very very bad in the fallout sense, as you would have zero time to get farther away (again assuming outside of the detonation area).

As the particulates will attach to the rain and fall in it. vs falling small sand sized to large ash sized floating down over time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top