JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So been doing a lot of thinking and want everyone's opinion! If we were to get an alert here on the west coast like they did in Hawaii what would you do?

Where is the safest place in your house for a incoming ICBM?

What would you do if you were at work?

There are a lot of what if's! So lets talk it out and come up with a plan. Chances are we won't be at home so do you just plan like any other threat or do something more?

OK lets have your thoughts ladies and gentlemen!! ;)

If we were to get an alert here on the west coast like they did in Hawaii what would you do?

If the alert is like what they got in Hawaii on the weekend....
.... I'd do nothing, it was a false alarm.

If it on the other hand, it was real.... and included where it was expected to hit.... from what direction... I'd probably thank my lucky stars that I live nowhere near a target, and can get on the road in any direction with little chance of being stuck in traffic for hundreds of miles.

I'm 15-20 miles from downtown Portland. So providing they get a direct hit I should be fine.
But just to be safe I will take cover. And think happy thoughts.

Like how happy I'm gona be with Oregon's next state wide election results. :D

House? There's a manhole (gigity) right close with my name on it.. I've got a key, too..

th?id=OIP.PH38LyWBitc1xYFRwqw3bAHaHl&w=166&h=171&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

my family and i will be going to the highschool basement. it was a bomb shelter back in the old days. me and my buddies used to sneak down there during school hours even though it was off limits.

LOL! Unless you have access to a known working shelter that IS rated for a Nuke, your chances are about the same weather you choose to ride out the hit on your front porch as if you were on the road, or stuck at work! It's all about how close to the blast you happen to be when it goes off! As to an alert, BOY those buggers in charge of such things better figure it all out! Having a Tsunami, earthquake, what ever alarm tied in with the Nuke warning would sure confuse the hell out of folks, my self included, which threat am I supposed to be reacting to? do I head for higher ground because the alarm sounded? or do I duck against a wall? the alarms all sound the same, how the heck am I to know the difference? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Go get my kid if during the day and head home if possible.

I'd be driving on the shoulder as fast as possible.

If at night then grab my stuff and head for my storage container and cross my fingers cuz I havnt moved my stuff out there yet.

Go get my kid if during the day and head home if possible.

I'd be driving on the shoulder as fast as possible.

If at night then grab my stuff and head for my storage container and cross my fingers cuz I havnt moved my stuff out there yet.

You and everyone else will be driving on the shoulder. It won't get you there any faster.

If it was going to hit anywhere in my "area" there is nothing I could do. If I had access to a bottle? I would be having a last toast with buddies while we waited to become toast. There would no outrunning a Nuke attack. If you are far enough away to not die in the blast the roads, all roads, will be a parking lot. May have to start keeping an emergency bottle or 2 in the car. If we hear one is coming may have time to get them out to have a last drink with those I'm with :)

People are most likely going to do the same thing they did on a day like 9-11.

Whatever people plan to do; the actions of others may be a big part of the situation.

Essential Elements of Friendly Information (EEFI):

Some may be at ground zero
Some may help others
Some may join the military
Some may try to profit from it
Some may only take care of #1
Some may freak out
Some may play it cool
Some may go to a church
Some may form a militia or gang
Some may be defensive
Some may be offensive
Some may mostly talk
Some may mostly listen
Some may quit
Some may demand martial law
Some may be the new govt....

Away from home; get home!

At home; security 24/7/365, activate TOC, verify inventory, contact loved-ones, noise and light discipline!

Estimate of the Situation:

1. Gather Intel; Essential Elements of Enemy Information (EEEI); SALUTE:
a. Size
b. Activity
c. Location
d. Unit (country, or sect)
e. Time
f. Equipment

2. Develope several Courses of Action (COA); war gaming.
3. Choose best COA
4. Act on best COA
5. Supervise & Adjust COA

Prepare and be ready to conduct a Quick Reactionary Force (QRF) mission if loved-ones are in peril...load plan effected & verified, equipment list and pre-combat checks, map reconnaissance, radio eaves-dropping.

Forget the phones; our loved ones should already have a contingency plan, rally point, and a 5 watt hand-held radio....

Good luck!

Last Edited:
This is really a loaded question. Since there really never has been a large attack on the continental US, I really expect that all the fing tax dollars I have paid over the years results in some kind of anti ballistic missile defense system that effectively stops this threat before it hits the ConUS.

A friend called me when he got the alert on his phone and I told him that I don't believe the NorKs can reach Hawaii or the west coast yet. I also doubt that they have the guidance accuracy either. Having said that, close counts with horse shoes and nuclear weapons. I told, just like that scene from the movie "War Games", let's stay on the phone to see what happens. Fortunately he was amused.

I was just telling some family in Hawaii that I would be more worried about EMP.

If the alert is like what they got in Hawaii on the weekend....
.... I'd do nothing, it was a false alarm.

If it on the other hand, it was real.... and included where it was expected to hit.... from what direction... I'd probably thank my lucky stars that I live nowhere near a target, and can get on the road in any direction with little chance of being stuck in traffic for hundreds of miles.

Ditto!!! :cool::cool::cool:

I still got my eclipse glasses... think I'll just enjoy the show. o_O

I have a friend in Hawaii who was on the golf course on the 3rd hole when they got the alerts. They looked at it, though well this sucks, not much we can do about it , best smoke a bowl, and call the drink cart girl for another Bloody Mary before everybody runs off and see how the round plays out.

They are pretty laid back older dudes, had a pretty intense doubt about it all, and basically said f it, what happens happens. Finished their round with hardly anybody else on the course.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews