JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't care to carry any semi automatics with a round in the chamber, so I practice draw and rack. This eliminates the heavy first round trigger pull, makes the drill the same for all the semi's and being left handed in a right hand world means I can ignore the thumb safety.

This actually makes a lot of sense, training being the same with all semi-autos. What do you like to carry?

Thanks for asking! For me, it's a combination of the things you mentioned. I don't "trust" a striker fired handgun as much. I'm sure arguments can be made that this is unjustified but it doesn't change how I feel. Maybe I could learn to trust them more if I practiced but I honestly just don't feel comfortable with them when a round is chambered and they are ready to fire, unless i'm about to shoot.

The heavy first trigger pull is also a very valid point. I want to be sure that I want the first round to go off. I know that subsequent rounds will have a much lighter pull, and that's fine, I can train for that.

Thanks for responding and elaborating. I totally get it. We have to work with systems we're comfortable with and have confidence in. And that's different for each person.

I love your concept of the perfect carry pistol - if you ever run across it, post what you find. I'll probably go out and buy it too.:D

Last Edited:
See my comments above about the Springfield stikers being cocked and locked.

A suggested alternative to what you want are the Beretta double action pistols. Quality guns there.

My first purchase as an adult, was a Beretta 92, from my dad who had his FFL for a while. Ever been fingerprinted by your dad? It's kind of weird. Anyway, the Beretta is still one of my favorites, even after 25+ years. Has it been that long?? I like the safety features, magazine capacity, and it's just such a pleasure to shoot. If I were going to take a first timer out I would choose this for sure.

This actually makes a lot of sense, training being the same with all semi-autos. What do you like to carry?
When I was in the Navy and standing various ship board watches with a 1911 this is how we carried the pistol. That was over 40 years ago. Right now for EDC I carry a Mod 2.0 40 Shield or Glock 22 in the same condition.

Thanks for asking! For me, it's a combination of the things you mentioned. I don't "trust" a striker fired handgun as much. I'm sure arguments can be made that this is unjustified but it doesn't change how I feel. Maybe I could learn to trust them more if I practiced but I honestly just don't feel comfortable with them when a round is chambered and they are ready to fire, unless i'm about to shoot.
Carrying is all about comfort, comfort knowing that you can defend yourself. If you aren't comfortable with your carry piece, you'll be worrying about it, which will detract from your primary defense, situational awareness.

Carry what you are comfortable with. As you seem to be aware of, will require modifications to how you carry to be comfortable. As for me, as soon as I get my Oregon voter card, I'll be heading back to get my CHL, and I'll carry my officer 1911 cocked and locked with a retention strap.

Carry on and be safe.

Have several CZ2075 Rami's. Fantastic carries for folks whom can grip a standard 75B, or a Compact/PCR well.

A bit higher MSRP, but can be found less on the used market. May be more challenging to find new ATM, due to lower number produced. Likely try Kieths in Gresham first, if one is looking for a new one.

Some come with night sights, some don't.

They accept 75B & Compact/PCR mags, handy for backup magazine carry.

I will defintely give the CZ a look, as several have recommended. You have to love Keith's! The only downside is they are always so busy, but i'm patient. I bought a Kimber from them when they were in the old location, since then an AR-15, 2 springfields, and I think a .22 at a gun show. Can't beat their prices or selection.

The heavy first trigger pull is also a very valid point. I want to be sure that I want the first round to go off. I know that subsequent rounds will have a much lighter pull, and that's fine, I can train for that.

Everybody gets to have their own preferences. Be glad you have those preferences, or you'd have a mess of various handguns with all sorts of different controls and quirks. This last week, I carried a Sig P229 (DA/SA), an M&P (striker) and a 1911 (SA cocked and locked). I like them all and shoot them all. Switching isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it requires constant practice.

I stick with the same platform, although model numbers vary from time to time. I've gotten so used to it, and I shoot them well so I guess it's "creature of habit" type thing for me.

And I think with all the opinions floating around, the one constant is keeping the finger off the trigger. As it should be.

an HK p7M13 is what you seek- but as they're used car money now....

General question about the size of the firearm you're looking for...

I used to look for some balance between the smallest size /effective cartridge/single mag capacity- my thinking being smallest size = easiest to conceal, didn't want an "ineffective" round ( not that I'd be delighted to get shot with .25/.32/.380) and that even with a spare mag, I'd rather have to fumble a change later rather than sooner. Finding a good combination of all three was nearly impossible; the biggest constraint was size.
After arsing around with some tiny 9mm single stacks that were easy to hide, but really, really not fun to shoot, I got a CZ75 and a Browning Hi Power- both really enjoyable to shoot and, as I found, not at all hard or uncomfortable to conceal in casual clothing. Hurtful, but I found absolutely no one at all is checking out my midriff.
In a nutshell- don't let size be the determining factor in your choice- lots of light weight, mid sized, hammer fired guns-older S&W's like 6906 police trade-ins, the CZ metal and poly framed compacts, HK's, 229's etc- go stand in line at NW armory or Kieths so you can finger bang a few.

Carrying is all about comfort, comfort knowing that you can defend yourself. If you aren't comfortable with your carry piece, you'll be worrying about it, which will detract from your primary defense, situational awareness.

Carry what you are comfortable with. As you seem to be aware of, will require modifications to how you carry to be comfortable. As for me, as soon as I get my Oregon voter card, I'll be heading back to get my CHL, and I'll carry my officer 1911 cocked and locked with a retention strap.

Carry on and be safe.
The OWB holster I use for my 1911 when open carrying (heading away from the city) has a thumb break. The IWB I use doesn't, but I rarely wear it for anything besides concealed carry. In the field I want to be sure I don't take a tumble, or worse, have some kind of encounter where I need my gun, but it's come out of it's holster. For that reason I prefer the thumb break. I don't use my IWB for open carry because it's not impossible for it to be snatched.
I only carry "cocked and locked". Just like hunting I feel that an unloaded gun is worthless. If I need to use either gun I likely have very little time to bring it into action. With a semi are you prepared to rack and go with only one hand?
Everybody gets to have their own preferences. Be glad you have those preferences, or you'd have a mess of various handguns with all sorts of different controls and quirks. This last week, I carried a Sig P229 (DA/SA), an M&P (striker) and a 1911 (SA cocked and locked). I like them all and shoot them all. Switching isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it requires constant practice.
I used to rotate carry between a the Shield and 1911. Switching between the two was easy. The thumb safety on the Shield was placed and operated the same as the 1911. Off and on for many years I've also used double and single action revolvers. With enough use my brain learned what gun my hand was holding. I didn't have to think about what I was shooting.

Until the weather changes and requires a jacket, I'll keep loading out the Sig P365 equipped with the 12 round magazines...

When the weather turns colder it'll be either a Sig M11 or Shield .45, depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing...

I will defintely give the CZ a look, as several have recommended. You have to love Keith's! The only downside is they are always so busy, but i'm patient. I bought a Kimber from them when they were in the old location, since then an AR-15, 2 springfields, and I think a .22 at a gun show. Can't beat their prices or selection.
Don't discount Tanfoglio Witness compacts. More choices than CZ on options and same feel as the CZ75. I have 4 Tanfoglios including the Steel Compact that I carry cocked and locked and love all of them. One of these days I may buy a CZ, but no rush. They do make quality pistols.

I would recommend the Sig P239. It is fairly slim, hammer fired and very accurate. If 8 rounds isn't enough to get the job done, I recommend more range time.

Like you, I am not really a Glock fan.

Don't discount Tanfoglio Witness compacts. More choices than CZ on options and same feel as the CZ75. I have 4 Tanfoglios including the Steel Compact that I carry cocked and locked and love all of them. One of these days I may buy a CZ, but no rush. They do make quality pistols.

I'm going to be honest, I had to look up Tanfoglio because I don't believe I have ever heard of them. They have some nice stuff, is there a shop that carries them in the Portland area?

Most striker fired handguns have a striker safety plunger that's spring loaded and physically blocks the striker from moving forward. It requires rearward motion of the trigger bar to disengage and allow the striker to move forward. They're perfectly safe. (Look at a Glock trigger bar. The little vertical hook/nub just rear of the trigger is what disengages it and most striker fired guns have it.)

If you'd still like a DA/SA, I carried a Walther P99c until just recently (~$450-$550). They have a decocker, are perfectly reliable, they're 10+1 and you can get +2/+3 extensions that will fit them as the magazine bodies are the same as the 92fs and the PPQ. I carried 13+1 in the gun plus a 17rd PPQ M1 mag as a spare (the MecGar +2 in the picture actually held +3 and was only $10). CZs are also great DA/SA guns but a bit heavier and more expensive.

I only stopped carrying the gun below because I tried a G43/G48 that holds 15+1 with Shield Arms magazines and begrudgingly, I really liked it.
5d7489a69cec890b5ff33a3dfc12656f.jpg

I'm going to be honest, I had to look up Tanfoglio because I don't believe I have ever heard of them. They have some nice stuff, is there a shop that carries them in the Portland area?
I bought mine through Davidson's Gallery of Guns and had it sent to my FFL dealer. They throw in a lifetime warranty.

EAA (European American Armory), the importer of Tanfoglio and many other gun makes, list FFL's in your area and either have them in stock or send the gun directly to them. Some of the dealers have them in stock, but they go fast.

If you can't find one in stock, try a CZ. They are almost identical and the feel is the same. I stick with Tanfoglio because that is what I could get when CZ's weren't easily imported. It turned out that I liked them so much that I haven't switched to CZ's.

Here is an interesting article about CZ's and talks about the clones including Tanfoglio. Complete History of the CZ-75 and Its Early Clones | Gun Digest

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR