JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on what I'd like to carry, but can't because I'm unaware if it exists. I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory handguns, I have 2 already, and will likely have more down the road. What I want is basically the XD-E but in the size and magazine capacity of the Hellcat. So you don't all have to go to the website I posted the comparison.

My reasoning is I prefer not to carry a striker fired handgun "locked and loaded". I'm just not comfortable doing it, so I won't. I would carry a hammer fired double action with a round in the chamber and fire the first round double action. This is also how I keep my Beretta setup next to my bed.

Since Springfield won't answer my requests to make said handgun I guess I have to carry the XD-E the way it is, or find something else that is similar, maybe with magazine capacity closer to the Hellcat? Is the reason for the increased size of the XD-E because of the hammer mechanism? Does anyone have any suggested alternatives that meet my requirements better than the XD-E?

Hellcat XD-E
Caliber9mm9mm
Color Black Black
Length 6" 6.75"
Height 4" w/ Flush Mag, 4.5" w/ Extended Mag 5" w/ Flush Mag, 5.25" w/ Extended Mag
Weight 18.3 oz w/ Flush Mag, 18.6 oz w/ Extended Mag 24.8 oz w/ Flush Mag, 25.6 oz w/ Extended Mag
Barrel 3" Hammer Forged Steel, Melonite® Finish, 1:10 3.3" Hammer Forged Steel, Melonite® Finish, 1:10
Magazines (1) 11-Round, (1) 13-Round Extended (1) 8-Round, (1) 9-Round Extended
MSRP $569 $542

The P365 striker is cocked with the slide and is held by the trigger sear.
You still have to pull the trigger to disengage the safeties.
Same with the other striker designs, trigger has to be pulled to disengage the safeties.

Glock strikers require the trigger fully depressed to finish "cocking" it. It's unable to strike the primer on a loaded chamber without a full trigger press.

The SA/DA Beretta PX4 Storm Compact falls in this general area .

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact M&P 2.0 Compact Short Barrel w/ Safety
Caliber
9mm​
9mm​
Color Black
Black​
Length 6.8"
6.8"​
Height 5" w/ Flush Mag, 5" with standard magazine
Weight 27.2 oz w/ Flush Mag, 26.9 oz
Barrel 3.27" 3.6" 1:10
Magazines 15-Round, 15-Round
MSRP $1,000,000
Or less after COVID/Riot/Election $650

If you don't like SF guns with one in the chamber, there are many that have an option with manual safeties (as in, not located on the trigger). M&P detailed above. The one dimension you did not include is width, which for carry may be one of the more important ones. Both the Beretta and M&P are going to be thicker. Thought drift...I find it funny how both Glock (G43) and Sig PP365) make a small gun that "everyone wants" and then they find that everyone wants it...bigger.

Perfect often gets in the way of good when choosing a gun.

you may want to look at a hk p30 or a hk p2000. I have the xde and the hk's. i can say the hk's are just a tiny bit wider, but come with several parts for the grip to change out as you see fit. I quite like mine. Also as a HK it is top quality.

The SA/DA Beretta PX4 Storm Compact falls in this general area .

If you don't like SF guns with one in the chamber, there are many that have an option with manual safeties (as in, not located on the trigger). M&P detailed above. The one dimension you did not include is width, which for carry may be one of the more important ones. Both the Beretta and M&P are going to be thicker. Thought drift...I find it funny how both Glock (G43) and Sig PP365) make a small gun that "everyone wants" and then they find that everyone wants it...bigger.

Perfect often gets in the way of good when choosing a gun.

Thanks for mentioning width, I wasn't really paying attention to that. The PX4 is almost a half inch wider than the hellcat. All I can find for the XD-E is "grip width" but does that also mean slide width or overall width? There doesn't seem to be a standard way to measure this. If 1" is accurate on the XD-E then it beats the Px4, RAMI, P30SK, and E2022.

you may want to look at a hk p30 or a hk p2000. I have the xde and the hk's. i can say the hk's are just a tiny bit wider, but come with several parts for the grip to change out as you see fit. I quite like mine. Also as a HK it is top quality.

You have the XD-E 9mm? Is it really 1" wide overall? I do really like the H&K p30, how does it compare to the XD-E in your opinion?

XD-E is 1 inch wide, the hk p30 is 1 inch and 1/8 wide. The HK45 is also 1 inch 1/8 wide
With the 9 round mag the XD-E is 5 1/4 inches tall, the HK45 with 8 rounds is 5 1/4 inches tall, and the p30 with 15 in the mag is 5 1/4 tall
The XD-E is 6 1/2 long
The HK45 is 7 1/8 long
The p30 is 6 7/8 long

I carry the p30 over the xde. I thought I would shoot better with the xde as I shoot well with my xdm's but I don't. I thought it would be like one of my kimbers due to the minie 1911 look it has, but it is not the same. I'm going to put new sights on the xde eventually and see if that helps but for now it just sits in my gun bag 16014188176922547067099814198686.jpg 16014188520802968516813366468678.jpg .
My recommendation is go to a range that let's you rent a gun and try it. Or ask on the forums to see if anyone has one you can try. I would offer but I'm working in Bakersfield for at least three more months.

XD-E is 1 inch wide, the hk p30 is 1 inch and 1/8 wide. The HK45 is also 1 inch 1/8 wide
With the 9 round mag the XD-E is 5 1/4 inches tall, the HK45 with 8 rounds is 5 1/4 inches tall, and the p30 with 15 in the mag is 5 1/4 tall
The XD-E is 6 1/2 long
The HK45 is 7 1/8 long
The p30 is 6 7/8 long

I carry the p30 over the xde. I thought I would shoot better with the xde as I shoot well with my xdm's but I don't. I thought it would be like one of my kimbers due to the minie 1911 look it has, but it is not the same. I'm going to put new sights on the xde eventually and see if that helps but for now it just sits in my gun bagView attachment 756240View attachment 756241.
My recommendation is go to a range that let's you rent a gun and try it. Or ask on the forums to see if anyone has one you can try. I would offer but I'm working in Bakersfield for at least three more months.

Great stuff man, thank you for taking the time.

Glock strikers require the trigger fully depressed to finish "cocking" it. It's unable to strike the primer on a loaded chamber without a full trigger press.

I have a lot of respect for Glock as a reliable firearm, and obviously they are the overwhelming choice for LE, but for me personally I've just never been a big fan.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews