JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
PORTLAND, Ore. – Police said two boys, ages 11 and 7, tried to rob and carjack a woman at gunpoint in Southeast Portland Saturday afternoon.

The 11-year-old boy had a loaded handgun, police said.

Someone called police to report that an 11-year-old boy spotted another 11-year-old boy with a loaded handgun near Southeast 160th and Alder Street just after 12 p.m., according to Sgt. Pete Simpson.

When police arrived, they spotted two boys who tried to run away when officers talked to them.

Officers stopped them near the Freedom Foursquare Church. They told the 11-year-old boy to keep his hands out of his pockets, but he refused, Simpson said. An officer grabbed his arms and found a cocked and loaded handgun in his pocket.

Police were later flagged down by Ami Garrett, 22, who told them the two boys tried to rob her and steal her truck.

Garrett said she was sitting in her truck and waiting for her parents outside the church when the boys approached her and threatened to shoot her if she didn't give them her truck.

Garrett said the 7-year-old told the 11-year-old to “show her your piece.” The 11-year-old then lifted his shirt and showed Garrett the gun, Simpson said.

When Garrett refused to give the boys her truck, they demanded her wallet and phone and said they would shoot her if she didn’t give them anything.

Garrett drove away and called 9-1-1. As she pulled away, Garrett said she saw the 11-year-old pull the gun from his pocket.

No one was hurt and no shots were fired.

Simpson said due the boys’ ages, they cannot be taken to the Donald E. Long Juvenile Detention Home. They were both left with their parents.

It’s unclear where the 11-year-old boy got the handgun. Robbery detectives are investigating the case

Blame can be apportioned just about anywhere you look, from TV, movies, video games and the parents. Would be interesting to know where the gun came from too?

Absolutely freaking crazy if you ask me.

WTF??? Statements like this is what's wrong with society.Blame the TV?
How bubbleguming old are you? Like20 brah?

Blame can be apportioned just about anywhere you look, from TV, movies, video games and the parents. Would be interesting to know where the gun came from too?

Absolutely freaking crazy if you ask me.

The blame stands with the parents,nothing more.
The PARENTS are the one who are supposed to teach their kids right from wrong.

Nobody else is to blame here

Obviously they have not been watching leave it to Beaver on TV! Instead getting their education in the Hood!

Sad part is no consequences, no change in behavior. If you don't get your hand slapped hard for that kind of behavior at a young age you will never feel accountable for the things you do. A short stint in the slammer makes many not want to ever experience that again. Thats armed robbery folks, not stealing money out of a pop machine. Next time they will shoot.

Children that young are the product of their parents. You can't blame society, Hollywood, anyone else. It is all the parents, sloppy, negligent, poor parenting.

The parents need to be held accountable and charged with the crime, since children that young won't see any real punishment from the system. Especially if the gun is found to belong to the parents.

The up side is that the kid didnt shoot a cop or anyone else and that a cop didnt have to shoot an 11yo boy. Good on the LEO for getting it done without any shooting.
Guarantee these kids are from broken homes, absentee parent or parents. We could solve a good chunk of societies issues if we could cure the crumbling family structure.
Whoever allowed this weapon into the hands of the kids needs a time out.

There are two problems...parents (or more probably parent) and the law. There is no reasonable excuse that thses kids were not put in detention...and had the suffing scared out of them when they were there....mamma should have had to chnage their underware for them.

Unfortunately I read abot a similar thing happening elsewhere...4 boys, age 10 to 12, tried to rob a 19 year old college student. when she would not give up her purse, the 12 year old pulled a pistol (airsoft, but what does a 19 college student know) and threatened to shoot her if she did not give them the purse. I'll go look for that article and post it...don't have the link right now.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/syracuse_police_arrest_12-year.html

I can not believe all the people blaming the parents/parent for the actions of these kids' you all know what happens to to the parents when they try and correct the kids for misbehaving (crossbar hotel). and blaming the parents for letting them get ahold of a gun, give me a break guess the gangbanger would listen to mom n pop and not touch a gun if they saw one or was offered one from a fellow gangbanger.
these guys just believed o when he was talking about spreading the wealth welcome to the new way things are going:s0054::s0054:

I was only a kid about 20 years ago lol. TV and Media were a lot different then, BUT there were still violent movies i saw, diffidently violent music, but i had good parents that made sure i didn't do that. Even with video games like grand theft auto i knew that that is not how life really is. Parents are the only ones to blame. Plan and simple. That kid is lucky he didn't get shot. Just think if the women had a gun. And now that they are going back to their parents, i am sure we will see him in the news again. If the kids are "to young" to do time, then the parents should do 60-90 days... should motivate a parent to make sure their kids don't brake the law.

I can not believe all the people blaming the parents/parent for the actions of these kids' you all know what happens to to the parents when they try and correct the kids for misbehaving (crossbar hotel). and blaming the parents for letting them get ahold of a gun, give me a break guess the gangbanger would listen to mom n pop and not touch a gun if they saw one or was offered one from a fellow gangbanger.
these guys just believed o when he was talking about spreading the wealth welcome to the new way things are going:s0054::s0054:

Far too many obvious holes and far too much of a flawed argument to even bother to argue with.

Far too many obvious holes and far too much of a flawed argument to even bother to argue with.

such as:confused:

Don't we have gun laws that prevent minors from owning and concealing handguns? I don't know how this could happen?
Oh wait, that's right only the good guys follow those.

I'm glad no one was hurt but i'm afraid its only a matter of time before these kids get better at breaking the law.

The Apple doesnt fall far from the tree....

And games like Grand Theft and all these games with guns dont help things but in reality its the fault of the parents NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT. The "BAD" games are rated and the bad shows are all rated for a reason. Its up to the parents to screen what their children watch and do.

WHERE were their parents during all this...?

The children obviously got the pistol from there parents, whom they have probably seen doing this themselves.

Or the kids were just trying to get FAR away from their parents in the truck lol

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews