JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
New guy here. Hard to single one out. There is a class that has become saturated, and somewhat ridiculous, with more arriving. The poly 9mms. Back in the 1980s, we had UJMs or "Universal Japanese Motorcycles" since all were basically similar - only the brand names were drastically different. Well, now we have UPPs or universal polymer pistols. I have not attempted to count the various makes on the market, but it is approaching ridiculous, IMO.

On a broad point here... I don't always rush to upgrade a scope. I've had cheap scopes on guns that general consensus is that the biggest complaint about the gun package is the included scope, before I got my current opinion, I listened to general consensus and replaced the particular scope and put it on another less expensive gun. The first gun certainly didn't perform any better with the new scope but the gun that got the "cheap" scope was hitting tight groups at all ranges needed. So I put the more expensive scope on the cheaper gun so I can take advantage of the slight upgraded glass and mildots. Until a gun proves to me that it can outshoot the scope I have available for it, I will not upgrade. If I can justify a good reason based on the guns performance then I'll upgrade. I believe a scope can outperform a gun easier then the other way around, perhaps in the centerfire world though it's a bit different.
The main reason for my post is airguns though. Break barrel airguns that keep posting higher and higher fps are strictly marketing ploys. A gun can have strong knockdown power but if it can't hit small game past 10 yards it's a lot less effective as a hunting gun then one that can make head shots at a distance. I'd take 9fpe on target with a .3 group over 25fpe that's shooting a 2' group at 15 yards. There's been 1 constantly accurate mainstream breakbarrel and that is the Beeman R9. All the new Benjamin Trail NP2 and Jim Shockey guns are extremely hit or miss no pun intended. I've had experience with 2 that can't hit at 10 yards what my 175 dollar underlever gamo .177 can hit at 65 yards and that's honestly being conservative.

The Chiappa Rhino revolvers. I see these around for sale new at guns shows, don't know who buys them. They aren't inexpensive. The company in Italy is pretty solid. Part of the idea behind the design is that the bore being low-mount is more in line with the human arm when firing, reducing recoil and muzzle rise. Okay, maybe a good idea but I'm not buying a butt-ugly firearm. I know the idea of firearms is to put a bullet on the target, but aesthetics are important to me; it has to look good.

Last Edited:
I'll look into that one, thanks! My stepson is 15, think it might be too small for him? He's not a large 15, maybe about 5'4" and 90 lb soaking wet.

He might find it kinda short, the same way many of us feel when we shoot a stock AK for example. If he hits a growing spurt he will out grow it fast. Maybe try and find something with a bit bigger stock?

For older kids...and those adults who like single shot bolt action rifles...
Remington's 510 and 514
Winchester's 67 & 68
Savage / Stevens / Springfield model 15
And many Mossberg models
Are all excellent "adult sized" rifles....
Andy

He might find it kinda short, the same way many of us feel when we shoot a stock AK for example. If he hits a growing spurt he will out grow it fast. Maybe try and find something with a bit bigger stock?

I'll probably just go with the Savage in .17HMR I already have. It's bolt action, easy to shoot, and I can just load the magazines with a few rounds at a time.

I have to use an uncomfortable position just to be able to use the warsaw length stock. However, cause I got it so mom has something to shoot at the range with me I can't get a NATO length stock.

A rubber pad helps a lot, and can be removed. So if he outgrows it there's the option of doing that, and will have a rifle he can use to teach his kid.

Not actually ridicules but....The owner of the company I work for chased me down yesterday on the lot to show me a new gun he had just bought for his wife. It is a 5 shot Ruger revolver with a polymer frame and a form fitting laser sight under the barrel. Pretty light and nothing I would be interested in as I prefer 'traditional' revolvers but he wants me to go out shooting with him to run it through the paces. Hey maybe it will surprise me.

I have to use an uncomfortable position just to be able to use the warsaw length stock. However, cause I got it so mom has something to shoot at the range with me I can't get a NATO length stock.

A rubber pad helps a lot, and can be removed. So if he outgrows it there's the option of doing that, and will have a rifle he can use to teach his kid.
Try a telestock adapter? M4 should cinch down short enough for her and also stretch long enough for you...

In mycase, I'm an oddball but I prefer short, heavy stocks myself. The weight helps 'em balance the way I like, and since I can't shoulder anything anyway the short length keeps 'em out of my way.

Try a telestock adapter? M4 should cinch down short enough for her and also stretch long enough for you...

In mycase, I'm an oddball but I prefer short, heavy stocks myself. The weight helps 'em balance the way I like, and since I can't shoulder anything anyway the short length keeps 'em out of my way.
Never bothered with that on an AK. I prefer the wood on the AK, and the stock where I keep my cleaning kit.

For older kids...and those adults who like single shot bolt action rifles...
Remington's 510 and 514
Winchester's 67 & 68
Savage / Stevens / Springfield model 15
And many Mossberg models
Are all excellent "adult sized" rifles....
Andy
Most accurate rifle of any kind I ever owned was a Remington 513T. "Same hole at 50' every time" type accuracy. Can't imagine what possessed me when I sold it, except that I was slavering for one of these:
021003102.jpg

Definitely a good thing to slaver after. Just the wrong technique...sell? Nah, you can usually come by more money easier than you can replace a treasure in my experience. To quote an old friend...."Thou shalt accumulate ":rolleyes:
I know that now, but when I was 18 and making $1.10 an hour that $100 Browning looked a long way off.:)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top