JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, Your guys wrong and wiki as usual is partially right. You do need a 5320.20 to travel for machineguns, SBR's , SBS's and destructive devices. Silencers and AOW's are not listed on the form so it is not necessary to file a 5320.20 to travel with them. If you file a 5320.20 to travel with silencers and AOW's the ATF will approve it but you don't need to...

<broken link removed>

I quote...

"1. Authority. Solicitation of this information is made pursuant to the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4)). Disclosure of this information by the applicant is mandatory if the applicant wishes to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle."

As you will notice it does not say "any NFA weapon." . It specifically mentions a few categories. Those are the only categories the form applies to.

When I traveled last year I did have to notify the ATF. I have the paperwork sittin in front of me now. Form 5320.20 was the form. It askes what type of firearm and I had to put suppressor. It asks servicable, caliber, model, overall length, manufacturer and serial number. It only took bout 2 weeks to get the paperwork back. If I were you, Id call the ATF and make sure with them. You dont want to get stuck in a bad position. Just my experience and .02 cents.
304-616-4500 (ATF)

Well, Your guys wrong and wiki as usual is partially right. You do need a 5320.20 to travel for machineguns, SBR's , SBS's and destructive devices. Silencers and AOW's are not listed on the form so it is not necessary to file a 5320.20 to travel with them. If you file a 5320.20 to travel with silencers and AOW's the ATF will approve it but you don't need to...

As you will notice it does not say "any NFA weapon." . It specifically mentions a few categories. Those are the only categories the form applies to.

On the top of the form it says "APPLICATION to TRANSPORT INTERSTATE or to TEMPORARILY EXPORT CERTAIN NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT (NFA) FIREARMS." The ATF said I ABSOLUTELY have to have this form if Im NOT traveling within the said weapons home state.

Read the instructions on the form . It says what the form is for. It is for SOME NFA weapons. Not all of them. CERTAIN NFA weapons has meaning. If you send a 5320.20 to the ATF they will approve it. That doesnt mean they have to. This is well known in NFA circles. If you are travelling interstate with a machinegun or SBR or SBS or Destructive device like it says on the form you need to have it approved . Otherwise approval is NOT required to travel with a silencer or AOW to a state that allows them or through a state that does not.

When I traveled last year I did have to notify the ATF. I have the paperwork sittin in front of me now. Form 5320.20 was the form. It askes what type of firearm and I had to put suppressor. It asks servicable, caliber, model, overall length, manufacturer and serial number. It only took bout 2 weeks to get the paperwork back. If I were you, Id call the ATF and make sure with them. You dont want to get stuck in a bad position. Just my experience and .02 cents.
304-616-4500 (ATF)

You did not have to get one approved. If you send them one they will approve it but it is not legally required for you to file the 5320.20. There is nothing in the NFA or section 922 USC that requires it. You are welcome to post the pertinent US code that says silencers or AOW's need an approved 5320.20 for interstate travel. You will not find that wording in the law of the land. Its not there.

Thats not what the ATF told me when I went out of state. On a side note, IM not gonna push it cause of the ignorance of law enforcement. Ill always get paperwork.

Thats not what the ATF told me when I went out of state. On a side note, IM not gonna push it cause of the ignorance of law enforcement. Ill always get paperwork.

Its on the form and in the US code when its required. Silencers are not one of those items requiring the 5320.20. Keep in mind that travelling interstate the police are only going to be interested in your approved form 1 or form 4. Its the ATF that wants to see 5320.20's and in the case of silencers is clear in black and white when its actually required. Talking to a ATF agent on the phone for useful advice is as useful as getting surgery over the phone.

Its on the form and in the US code when its required. Silencers are not one of those items requiring the 5320.20. Keep in mind that travelling interstate the police are only going to be interested in your approved form 1 or form 4. Its the ATF that wants to see 5320.20's and in the case of silencers is clear in black and white when its actually required. Talking to a ATF agent on the phone for useful advice is as useful as getting surgery over the phone.

Your right, checked out the form and couldnt find anything that was related to cans.

Good timing for this tread as I am traveling to Oregon next week to shoot my suppressor. I just spoke to the BATF on the phone and no paperwork is need to travel with a suppressor across state lines if the state law allows suppressor's and you have a copy of your original BATF paperwork (tax stamp).

If you go to a private rifle range, they may ask to see a registration form. You are of course free to not show it, but they are free to deny service to anyone for any reason. I have been asked for my forms at private ranges, but never at public ones.

Ranb

You don't need to file a Form 5320.20 to transport a suppressor interstate, but if you file one the ATF will process it.
Oregon law required that silencers are registered as per Federal Law and the owner must have proof of that in their immediate possession.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top