JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you all for the replies. I have since talked to a LEO and he said, if you get pulled over just let them know immediately you have weapons in the car. There's nothing illegal about it.

I have no problem with that. I am in full support of law enforcement. I have nothing to hide and completely understand officer safety. I just didn't want to be wrong driving around with a bunch of guns and ammo in my truck with my kid 300 miles away from home. I'd tell them right off the bat you have my full consent to search my truck. Why be a pain in the a**? Let them do their job and move on. Seems pretty simple to me.

Why not? I have nothing to hide. I'd rather it be known than them finding out. I'd assume, things change if you're a POS. I'm not.
The reason I hope you don't get to find out the hard way but. Sadly some LEO's don't like that people can own guns. There are some that if you tell them you have weapons in the car will make a big deal out of it. How often do you get pulled over and they start searching your car? If this is happening to you there has to be a reason. So if you are not doing something to cause them to search your car they are not going to "magically find" the guns.

Last Edited:
Thank you all for the replies. I have since talked to a LEO and he said, if you get pulled over just let them know immediately you have weapons in the car. There's nothing illegal about it.

I have no problem with that. I am in full support of law enforcement. I have nothing to hide and completely understand officer safety. I just didn't want to be wrong driving around with a bunch of guns and ammo in my truck with my kid 300 miles away from home. I'd tell them right off the bat you have my full consent to search my truck. Why be a pain in the a**? Let them do their job and move on. Seems pretty simple to me.
The two issues here is your going to a police officer for legal advice and disclosing and letting them search your vehicle. LEOs are not lawyers and dont always know the law, introducing a gun to an officer interaction can put some of them on edge, let them ask on their own. Corrupt cops will plant contraband in a search, why would anyone consent to a search and not make them get a warrant.

If I don't legally HAVE to tell an officer something, mum's the word. In a traffic stop, they are NOT there for your safety and are NOT on your side. Nothing you say or do will put you at an advantage and lots of things will put you at a disadvantage. No searches without warrant. No handing over guns for the fun of it. It's yes sir, no ma'am, have a nice day and not without a warrant. That's IT.

If I don't legally HAVE to tell an officer something, mum's the word. In a traffic stop, they are NOT there for your safety and are NOT on your side. Nothing you say or do will put you at an advantage and lots of things will put you at a disadvantage. No searches without warrant. No handing over guns for the fun of it. It's yes sir, no ma'am, have a nice day and not without a warrant. That's IT.
Exactly. The less you say the better. I've got jumper cables in my trunk too. What does that have to do with the stop?

I've heard rumor that the State Police will take your carry gun from you in a traffic stop.
That's why I always say I don't have a firearm when asked….. even though I do.

Traffic stops are the most unpredictable thing for LEOs. Adding a gun into the mix just heightens the stress. Be polite and respectful.

Now if I was to get searched I would immediately disclose the fact I was carrying. But to pull me out of the car I would have to be conducting myself in a manner that I never do. So I'm not worried about.

Know your rights. Know case law (such as plain view doctrine).

This is not a dig a LE. But nowadays a lot of officers lack training and overstep due to lack of knowledge.

I've heard rumor that the State Police will take your carry gun from you in a traffic stop.
I've been stopped 3 times that I can remember by the state police over the years for various minor things, like failing to use my turn signal when exiting the freeway and such, and as I have stated before in various threads when this subject has come up, I have always handed over my CHL with my DL when they ask for license, registration, and proof of insurance, because they will find out anyway if they don't already know when they pull you over (It's on the computer), and they have always politely handed it back to me. They have never asked to take my firearms, so I think this rumor is nothing more than a rumor.

I think I would stop short of consenting to a search, although I have never been asked.
I had a local LEO ask to keep two guns that were locked in the glove compartment while she did her thing.
This explains everything.

I've been stopped 3 times that I can remember by the state police over the years for various minor things, like failing to use my turn signal when exiting the freeway and such, and as I have stated before in various threads when this subject has come up, I have always handed over my CHL with my DL when they ask for license, registration, and proof of insurance, because they will find out anyway if they don't already know when they pull you over (It's on the computer), and they have always politely handed it back to me. They have never asked to take my firearms, so I think this rumor is nothing more than a rumor.

I think I would stop short of consenting to a search, although I have never been asked.

This explains everything.
The last couple "interactions" I had were break downs and I had my CPL in hand waved away. The difference is the OP is talking about going to a state that does NOT allow our License there. So when we travel there I have not yet been pulled over but if I was I would not bother handing my WA CPL to them.

The last couple "interactions" I had were break downs and I had my CPL in hand waved away. The difference is the OP is talking about going to a state that does NOT allow our License there. So when we travel there I have not yet been pulled over but if I was I would not bother handing my WA CPL to them.
I was addressing a fellow Oregonian's statement of a rumor that "the state police" (presumably OSP) would take your guns during a traffic stop, and not the OP's question. Sorry, a bit of thread drift. I agree that presenting your WA license to OSP would probably be pointless.

I've heard of LEOs removing a pistol off a drivers person to run a serial number or have it removed during the entire interaction. Yet that is a complete violation of your fourth amendment right. But if the driver allowed it then that's on them.

I've heard of LEOs removing a pistol off a drivers person to run a serial number or have it removed during the entire interaction. Yet that is a complete violation of your fourth amendment right. But if the driver allowed it then that's on them.
I have had an LEO take a carry gun while checking me LONG ago before the computers were invented and they had to use the radio. Since I don't drive like a moron only interactions I have had in decades were a couple break downs. My ID and stuff was waved off before being looked at. With how often some moron blows and starts shooting at another driver these days? I guess I could kind of see some LEO concerned if a stop tells them they are armed. If it was me I would be more comfortable just letting the person keep the gun and not ask them to get out of the vehicle and such but, I am not the one having to deal with the people on the side of the road so easy for me to say :s0092:
When I hear people tell tales of this happening multiple times all I can think of is how are they driving to get pulled over that much.

I have had an LEO take a carry gun while checking me LONG ago before the computers were invented and they had to use the radio. Since I don't drive like a moron only interactions I have had in decades were a couple break downs. My ID and stuff was waved off before being looked at. With how often some moron blows and starts shooting at another driver these days? I guess I could kind of see some LEO concerned if a stop tells them they are armed. If it was me I would be more comfortable just letting the person keep the gun and not ask them to get out of the vehicle and such but, I am not the one having to deal with the people on the side of the road so easy for me to say :s0092:
When I hear people tell tales of this happening multiple times all I can think of is how are they driving to get pulled over that much.
Exactly.

Last time I was pulled over was 2008. You must be really trying to get pulled nowadays. LE doesn't even pull for minor traffic violations anymore…. It's more of a PC thing if they want to stop you to dig deeper. All the fear of being pulled over is something I don't understand. It rarely happens nowadays.

I drive 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week….. if anyone has the probability to be pulled over it's me. Simply due to the percentage of time I spend on the road. I'm not a perfect driver and do forget things at times…..

Cops profile. Get over it. It is what it is. Don't look like a thug, blaring music, driving erratic, road rage, in hurry, seat leaned all the way back, etc. and you'll never have an issue.

It also pays to drive a plain Jane vehicle. The less attention you bring to yourself the better. This is coming from someone who spent his highschool years and even part of my early 20s in fast/loud cars, partaking in street racing, etc.

Don't give the cops a reason to look in your direction and magically they leave you alone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top