JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another overlooked rifle in my area is any old bolt action .22LR rifle.
At shows and shops where I live , they just don't sell or are wanted in trade.
Which is a double edged sword , often you can get them at a less than listed price ... but they can be hard to find , 'cause not many folks want them on their shelves or show tables.
Again for the record I have nothing against a old .22 bolt action rifle... In fact I prefer those to any other type of .22 rifle.

It is just that where I live most folks seem to be interested in buying a 10/22 or a AR15 copy or other similar rifle copy in .22LR.
Nothing against those rifles or the folks that like 'em ... Just not my style.
Andy

Which is a double edged sword , often you can get them at a less than listed price ... but they can be hard to find , 'cause not many folks want them on their shelves or show tables.
Again for the record I have nothing against a old .22 bolt action rifle... In fact I prefer those to any other type of .22 rifle.

It is just that where I live most folks seem to be interested in buying a 10/22 or a AR15 copy or other similar rifle copy in .22LR.
Andy

I do have a .22 bolt rifle, but it's a new manufacture Ruger American Rimfire model - it's a great rifle, even though it may not have the look and character of a more classic .22 bolt gun. I would like to add an older wood-stock model to the collection some day. I think one great advantage of a bolt .22LR is that you can also get away with shooting longs and shorts (though I understand you shouldn't do it all the time), if that's what's available. During the last big ammo shortage, I could always find longs and shorts, even when LR was nowhere to be found - and I don't think there are any semi-auto rifles that can cycle those rounds - single shot, yes, but not a loaded magazine.

Andy
U gota operate bro. Get 1 of dem tactical 22 AR 15s and operate. :rolleyes:

No idea why people want the semiautos more, but probably so they can have a semiauto that is cheap to shoot. IMHO a .22 bolt action is best for teaching the fundamentals and a .22 AR to teach the controls after that.

Lots of great firearms get little love...

Any 1911 in .38 Super, personally wouldn't mind having a Commander size in this caliber...

S&W Model 52, the .38 wadcutter semi-auto... Those were sweet guns to shoot...

S&W Model 41, those .22's, tack drivers once dialed in...

Just for starters...

On the first page I said the SCAR17 and I meant it....

BUT, the FAL/L1A1 is also right up there IMO. (In fact, the SCAR and FAL have a lot in common).

It seems new shooters aren't familiar with the FAL. I can remember StG58 build kits going for $99... and back then it included the barrel. That's when I got into them. No days mags have dried up (used to be like the HK91 were a few years ago... a buck each. Now those are going up too) and what used to be a buck a mag is now 20, when you find them. And often these home builds seem sketchy and new rifles are expensive. Perhaps thats why new shooter stay away.... I don't know.

The FAL is more comfortable to shoot than the HK91 (and it's types). It has been a main battle rifle for over a half century. In fact, it has fought against itself (Falklands). It's been licensed in factories all over the world and is even being made today with little signs of going away. Yet, it doesn't get a whole lot of love. Just some 18 months ago they were for sale quite a bit and nobody was buying. The prices kept getting lower and lower until the owners just put them back in the safe or traded them away for something else.

FN FAL - Wikipedia

So for me it's: 1)SCAR17, 2)FAL/L1A1, 3)Ithaca M49 :eek:

Yup, the Ithaca M49... because it was my very first rifle!!!

IMG_0018.JPG The Krag-Jorgensen rifle (aka 1892 Springfield) firing the 30-40 Krag round. Underpowered by today's standards, but it won us the Spanish American War. Also, in 1899 a record elk was taken with a Krag: a record that stood for 50 years. I really dig that side mounted magazine. (Above is not my rifle. I wish!)

Speaking of Remington rifles and 6mm's, my favorite and most accurate rifle I've ever owned was a model 600 Mohawk in .243 Win. these were commonly repurposed into benchrest guns

img_4969.jpg

Ah...the good Ol FR-8 Mauser! Even I forget about them, love me a good Mauser AND in .308, with that funky rear sight, not much better in the days of semi auto battle rifles, the last "Gun Fighter" bolt action fighting rifle just might be the next best thing! Oh wait, you want a scout rifle, Here ya go, want a nice light weight carbine with a hard hitting round and light weight, look no further:)!

How about the 6.5X57 Mauser... I have a 1939 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5X57 that is pre WWII or at least pre US getting into WWII

Mannlicher%20Schoenauer%201_zpsuj8ebwqo.jpg

Says Made in Germany instead of Austria (Germany invaded and annexed it)

PIC_0230-1.jpg

Its a great round but has been over shadowed by the 6.5X55 Swede

'K' frame Smith & Wessons - probably more variations on the K frame than any other Smith & Wesson made. Currently the most popular is the Mod 19/66 with the 2.5" Barrel - so much in fact the Mod 66 has been reintroduced. The M-15 Combat Masterpiece is probably as popular as the M-19/66 and maybe a bit harder to find. Fantastic revolvers. A 4" 19, 66 or 15 is great to shoot and a natural pointer with great balance.

I think it depends on the website. Sites like this favor ARs, AKs, Glocks, etc. the only bolt actions you see on here seem to be heavy barreled jobs. So on here, I feel like some really cool and well made rifles and cartridges are ignored.

Rifles like the Winchester 1885, Ruger No.1, Winchester Model 70s, original Remington 700s, etc. Cartridges like the 7x57 Mauser, 280 Remington, 257 Roberts, 300 H&H, 22 Hornet, 222 Remington, 220 Swift, etc. You hardly ever see anything AI'd here.

I use plenty of black/plastic guns at work and I own some, but nothing would fire me up more than a Winchester 1885 Low Wall in 257 Roberts.

I will say one thing, sites that are more hunter-centric have some guys who really have useful knowledge of terminal ballistics. Makes caliber arguments between non-hunters look pretty ignorant.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top