JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gen 4 Glock 19. Too many people snub their noses at them because they "just don't like plastic guns." Their loss
I have a few Glock's, but a 19/23/32 compact are not among them, I just don't like the way they feel. I am not a fan of the way my 29 feels either, but it has redeeming qualitys. my 33 and the Warden's 17 are even better....I almost like them.

MY "new" must have fascination is the Remington Mod 8! Haven't decided what flavor I want it in yet, but .30 Remington or .300 Savage look pretty good for what I would need!
I think those were banned in Boston back around the turn of the last century.... I always wanted a Winchester 1907 in 351

For a "modern" rifle .... I think that at least where I live , a .30-30 is often over looked and under appreciated.
Light weight , the round itself has "oomph" and it is easily found , low "recoil " and noise.
Not sure why some folks turn their nose up at old Marlin or Winchester in this caliber...
Andy

Ug, that means Im getting old. I grew up deer hunting with a 3030. The 3030 is... (Or was?) one of the most produced deer rifles in America. I wouldnt call that overlooked... Or is it getting that old now?

Ug, that means Im getting old. I grew up deer hunting with a 3030. The 3030 is... (Or was?) one of the most produced deer rifles in America. I wouldnt call that overlooked... Or is it getting that old now?
Do you see them in most gun stores...new ones?

The AR180 is on the crude side but a very good basic rifle. I'm sorry I ever traded mine off and hope to find another one; I've even kept some accessories including a couple of 40 round magazines in anticipation.

IMG_1296.JPG

I find a lot of Henry lever actions in .30-30 at a Wal Mart by the college. Want one, but can't afford one since I have to put my money on a different type of gun.

Friend of mine just bought a Henry after deer hunting with me and my very old Marlin.

The Henrys are the way to go, Marlin went downhill. Those Henrys are what Id get now...

IMG_1786.JPG
I don't think the pre CZ Dan Wesson revolvers get enough love. Accurate, well built, and easy interchangeable barrels from 2" up to 15" on the same frame. I have a model 15 .357 that will never leave the family. I only have the 6" bbl, but I'd like to get em all. Out of all the pistols I've ever shot, I've been able to get the best accuracy out of the DW.

You know what? I love the FAL and regret not getting one. The only reason I got my Ace instead is because I can't find a good FAL with carry handle and wooden furniture. I'd even do a trade for one at this point if I could.
I got to fondle one the other day at Gators... it wasn't FS though. One of the heavier rifles I've ever held. I'm not sure but I got so excited I think it moved a little;) Its on the short list for sure.
TWSS
Didn't I see a set of FAL wooden furniture in the classified here last week?

I am going to throw out two more.

The Sig P229 , while used in many government entities, its over looked in the consumer market. More common are the P226 etc.
But the P229 is left in the cold many times.
The P229 differs from its cousin the P226 in several respects, and was originally introduced to supplement and then replace the P228 by adding the .357 SIG and .40 S&W as available chamberings. The P229 was the first production handgun introduced that could chamber the .357 SIG round. The P226 and P228 were originally manufactured using a stamped-steel slide on an aluminum alloy frame. The P229 consists of a CNC-milled stainless steel slide, typically colored black with a Nitron finish. The P229's milled steel slide was introduced to handle the higher slide velocities created by the .357 SIG and .40 S&W loads, which the stamped slide of the P228 could not handle without the use of a much stiffer recoil spring. The one I have is early model P229 1995 pre-ban LE model.

Another is the CZ527 in 7.62x39 It takes the normally SKS and AK round and pushed accuracy out almost double dismissing many accounts that claim the 7.62x39 does not have range. The CZ-527 changes the rules in that caliber.
However due to the fact AR, AK, and the SKS can all be had in this caliber and are semi-auto the Bolt Action CZ-527 is dismissed, and over looked But makes a awesome truck gun without losing accuracy fires 5 rds removable mags and short-Mauser bolt makes this one sweet unappreciated rifle.

Last Edited:
Another one is mausers. Everytime I hear mil surplus bolt action, they're talking about the moist nugget. IMHO the mausers are underappreciated where I live. One of the smoothest actions I've ever handled was a mauser.

I like my Yugo so much I've been debating on trying to buy any yugo barrel I can find until I find a shiny one.

View attachment 363976
I don't think the pre CZ Dan Wesson revolvers get enough love. Accurate, well built, and easy interchangeable barrels from 2" up to 15" on the same frame. I have a model 15 .357 that will never leave the family. I only have the 6" bbl, but I'd like to get em all. Out of all the pistols I've ever shot, I've been able to get the best accuracy out of the DW.
I have the 6" stainless "Vent Heavy" .357
Barrel is under tension from both ends.....shoots where you point it.

I would throw in CZ 527
.17 Hornet Varmint would be my choice.
An heirloom rifle in today's market at reasonable cost.
Mini Mauser action.

I don't think you are "old" ... But I do hear lots of comments like the .30-30 has no range , power , is slow etc ...
I don't think that the .30-30 is any of the above , but just suffers 'cause its a older , non flashly round and rifle , that just does its job well.
Hence my "overlooked" comment , at least where I live.
Andy

Agreed on the comments regarding the Winchester 94 in .30/30 WCF. For reasons I can't fully grasp, it is kind of poo-poo'd these days. I suppose it doesn't appeal to either "tactical" set or those that insist upon a super accurate, super long range bolt gun. I like 'em though: lightweight, comes to the shoulder naturally, smooth and fast action, reliable as the day is long, parts and ammo are available everywhere, and in a cartridge that provides plenty of spank at the ranges such a rifle is expected to perform. Call me old fashioned if you wish, but all that in a rifle is nothing to sneeze at. As such, one is part of our battery, and there has been a Thirty-Thirty, in one form or another, for a long time.

As overlooked firearms, a few come to mind, but I will hammer those thoughts out a little later.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top