JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think you are "old" ... But I do hear lots of comments like the .30-30 has no range , power , is slow etc ...
I don't think that the .30-30 is any of the above , but just suffers 'cause its a older , non flashly round and rifle , that just does its job well.
Hence my "overlooked" comment , at least where I live.
Andy

Well its not the "do all" hunting caliber, often its a "starter" gun for hunting then someone wants to go elk hunting and feels they need to step up in power. Realistically anything under 200yds is fine including elk. Thing about this caliber is its more about the lever action carbine, light quick and fast holds a lot of rounds for its time, easy to reload... Americas first true "assault rifle" technically even to this day still a formidable defensive rifle.

I don't think that the .30-30 is any of the above , but just suffers 'cause its a older , non flashy round and rifle
I think the one on the left is plenty 'flashy'!
100_1247.jpg

You guys keep it up about the 30/30. It will help my Winchester sell that's listed in the classifieds.

For a very reasonable price, you can own a piece of history. Only for a limited time plus handling fees. If you purchase within the next 48 hours I will include free safety glasses. :D

Lever Action guns in general... I own a few and people always ask why I own a Marlin lever action instead of an AR15 or some other modern rifle. I LOVE lever guns and have them in 22, 44, 30-30, 35 Rem (which is for sale!) 300 savage and 45-70

Andy, are all those muzzle loaders your? Im drooling!

The 17HMR. I have a Winchester 9417 lever action in 17HMR. It is a much better shooter than the 22. Shoots flat and straight. This gun is a whole lot of fun to shoot. If you like rim-fire, you will love the 17.

As has been said before, 'If I have to explain you wouldn't understand'

I have been around firearms my entire life and have shot most firearms that are used by civilians. Im not saying that I dont see what an AR15 could be used for... Im saying that I have no use for one. There is nothing I do that would require an AR and if it did I would go for the AR10 instead of a 15

Its kind of like when I refuse to buy a Glock, Im sure they are very good at what they are for but when I was looking for a 10mm pistol that holds 16+1 I was looking at the RIA 10mm and got a lot of lip from glock users (not on this site) that I should go for the G20 instead because it is $100 less. Yeah but then I would have to spend 150 for upgraded sights and at least 150 for a good barrel that I can shoot full power loads and be able to reload my brass. So the cheaper gun actually costs 200 more.

If Glock would put better sights on and went with a fully supported barrel (instead of people having to purchase from another company) then they would be at the top of my list to buy.

Last Edited:
The AR180 is on the crude side but a very good basic rifle. I'm sorry I ever traded mine off and hope to find another one; I've even kept some accessories including a couple of 40 round magazines in anticipation.

View attachment 363947

I second that on the 180 Armalite's. I've got a Sterling made one that has the factory scope and would never think of selling it.
If you ever want to sell/trade the extra mags, please get in touch with me.

I have been around firearms my entire life and have shot most firearms that are used by civilians. Im not saying that I dont see what an AR15 could be used for... Im saying that I have no use for one. There is nothing I do that would require an AR and if it did I would go for the AR10 instead of a 15

Its kind of like when I refuse to buy a Glock, Im sure they are very good at what they are for but when I was looking for a 10mm pistol that holds 16+1 I was looking at the RIA 10mm and got a lot of lip from glock users (not on this site) that I should go for the G20 instead because it is $100 less. Yeah but then I would have to spend 150 for upgraded sights and at least 150 for a good barrel that I can shoot full power loads and be able to reload my brass. So the cheaper gun actually costs 200 more.

If Glock would put better sights on and went with a fully supported barrel (instead of people having to purchase from another company) then they would be at the top of my list to buy.
Back on the farm over 40 years ago (no, not the CIA) we had an AR-15.. we did everything with that gun.. hunted deer, black bear, squirrels, and just had fun with it. What a wonderfully capable and handy carbine. I guess you'd have to grow up with one..

Back on the farm over 40 years ago (no, not the CIA) we had an AR-15.. we did everything with that gun.. hunted deer, black bear, squirrels, and just had fun with it. What a wonderfully capable and handy carbine. I guess you'd have to grow up with one..
Black bear? Oh my, I bet a bunch of ".223 is too small for deer" folks are having a heart attack atm. :D

Here is the Mod 81 take down I am looking at, it has the Kreiger conversion to .308 Winchester and is at a pretty reasonable price! Me thinks I may go ahead and order it tonight!
View attachment 363964

Very nice rifle.

FYI, all Remington Autoloading rifles, Model 8s and Model 81s are all takedowns.
The gun was called the Autoloading Rifle before the Model 8 was assigned to it. Very cool rifles. The one I had was in 35 Remington. The shuffle of the barrel and action when shooting this gun is unlike any other.

Thanks! Turns out the seller is 2 hours away from me, and we agreed to meet up tomorrow evening. I have actually met the guy before and he is really cool. Cant wait to get it and do some shooting.
Very nice rifle.

FYI, all Remington Autoloading rifles, Model 8s and Model 81s are all takedowns.
The gun was called the Autoloading Rifle before the Model 8 was assigned to it. Very cool rifles. The one I had was in 35 Remington. The shuffle of the barrel and action when shooting this gun is unlike any other.

Rock Island Auctions has a pair of model 8's that were used by the Los Angles sheriffs office and the St. Joseph MO. police dept.

View attachment 364054
How have I never seen one of these before.. I want! I thought it looked a little like a love child of a Browning A5, and an SKS. I looked into it and sure enough it's a JMBrowning. He designed this and the A5 about the same time. How one man dreamed up so many ledgendary guns is astonishing!

Andy, are all those muzzle loaders your? Im drooling!
Thanks TM ... My friend Dave and I have over 30 odd original muzzleloaders .
During the Summer months we travel and show off our museum.
We are very hands on with our collection , so we will talk about a 200 year old rifle , while you get to hold it.
Heck we even let you shoot some of them!

How one man dreamed up so many ledgendary guns is astonishing!
That's what happens when you don't have a TV set in your house ...:D
Andy

Great topic dunehopper.
I too really enjoy the SKS for what it is, a straight foward tough battle rifle that will do most anything it's more popular sisters will.
And in that same realm I offer up the FR-8 Mauser.
An overlooked compact .308 battle rifle. If you've seen, handled and shot these then you already know,
If you haven't then one really should take a look while their still obtainable as none are being imported any longer and where else can you find a real .308 Mauser battle rifle with a bird cage flash suppressor for $400 (their going up) anywhere?
Mine has never failed to draw a crowd at the range when it pulled from the case. The what's that? And "wow" never seen those folks are always interested, especially when they find out it's .308.

I don't think you are "old" ... But I do hear lots of comments like the .30-30 has no range , power , is slow etc ...
I don't think that the .30-30 is any of the above , but just suffers 'cause its a older , non flashly round and rifle , that just does its job well.
Hence my "overlooked" comment , at least where I live.
Andy

Just for the record. Way back when I lived in Eastern Wyoming I hunted Antelope with my 30-30. Never let me down and always got me the Antelope. IMHO anyone who thinks the 30-30 is a second tier hunting rifle is just plain old wrong. It's not flashy or tacticool but what a great firearm for hunting. Shouldn't be overlooked.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top