JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you think is the most overlooked firearm ?
Post pics and tell us why you chose your firearm choice as the most over looked.
Over looked can mean lowest , price most reliable but why you think your firearm choice is one
maybe people pass by and go eh !

Me its the SKS, being in production (Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova),
Designs started in 1943, but most models hit the floor after 1945 thats along time and no matter where the SKS is made its a very reliable rugged and still inexpensive rifle.

• Field strip with nothing more then a knife to pop the trigger. NO TOOL strip.
  • Fires the 7.62x39 more commonly known for use in the AK-47
  • Many models to choose even some that come with AK-style mags.
  • Easy to customize hundreds of kits for it.
  • Still under $400 for a semi-auto self contained rifle.
  • Fixed but easily opened 10 round magazine ( 20rd can be found ).
  • Built like tanks even the Norinco made in China are very well made.

Only con is most new SKS's are soaked in comsmoline and require fair amount of cleaning right down to bolt internals. And on Norincos the stock can be kinda short for those over 6ft like me. Yugos tend to reach find and there are 2" sks buttpad addition to screw on using back plate screws.

I will keep it short and that is why I see the SKS as one of the most overlooked firearms ever made.

1920px-SKS_-_Ryssland_-_AM.045810[1].jpg

Last Edited:
IMG_9926.JPG S&W Model 57 Not so much an overlooked gun, as an overlooked caliber.

.41 Rem Mag is a potent and accurate caliber.

Awesome woods gun, great for hunting, and defense.

I believe it is marginalized by .357 magnum in all of its awesomeness and the .44 Rem Mag. Because of the versatility and popularity of both calibers, .41 Rem Mag is undeservingly the middle child of the magnum wheel guns.

SCAR 17. It's too expensive so nobody is looking at it. But the price of 7.62 is now at .50 / round of surplus so practice at the range isn't breaking the bank as quick as it used to be.

The 17 will do both long range work and up close / personal too - versatile. A pleasure to shoot, very reliable. And very modern.

P1390362-900x601.jpg

Last Edited:
I agree with op...out of all the ar's or ak's I own, my Yugo SKS is a rifle I trust and I'm good with it. I might get funny looks by mall ninjas, but in a shtf situation I would be fine rocking my Yugo. Im very fast and accurate with it.

Some other guns I own that are overlooked are:

Ruger American ranch 300 blackout. It has a 1/7 twist 16 inch threaded barrel. For now though, I run 150 grain soft points for deer hunting. Not the best with this barrel but this cartridge will drop heavy bullets like a rock. In a ar sure...use heavy loads for close range. This rifle though is a great lightweight, light recoil, ranch/backpacking/working mans gun. Crappy thing about this gun is it can't do harder primers, so I have to reload or be sure the loads I'm buying use a #400 primer I believe.

Marlin camp 9. I love this classic. In the day and age of cheaper manufacturing standards (yeah, I'm looking at you kel-tec) these things are great 9mm carbines. Simple to take apart and work on. It's like a 10/22 and a MPA defender had a child together.

And my final vote... anything made by sarsilsmaz in Turkey. From the sar arms pistols imported by eaa, or autoloading shotguns imported by hr/Remington. Cheap but working man type guns. Sarsilsmaz produces almost everything I'm house and has produced for their military.

I might get funny looks by mall ninjas,

Indeed. I used to have a Norinco Type 56 I would occasionally take to the main range and people would just stare. I guess it does stand out in a sea of deer rifles and AR's, but it's hardly rare or unusual. These sideways looks became so unnerving at one point I went back and consulted the range rules to make sure I wasn't doing something egregiously wrong.

For the most overlooked firearm, I vote Remington 870. They are everywhere, and do everything, but get none of the glory.

Galil Ace. Its a decent gun (I kinda wish I bought a FAL instead, trade anyone? :D) but it costs more than it should. The downside is some mags don't work right, but magpuls do.

I'd post pics but I already posted a few and that'd be bragging at this point.

For me, it's always been the FN/FAL ( STG-58) and the Beretta BM-59 that get no love. I also like the FN-49, the K-31, and the Gewehr 43. Others would be the Veper 5.56, M98/48 Mountain Carbine, SMLE Jungle Carbine, Sturmgewehr 90, and lastly, my all time fave, the AR 180:):):)

One of the best things about the FAL is the closet nature of the aftermarket for these, parts can be found all over the place and if your good with your hands, a kit is a pretty easy way to get the FAL of your dreams. Me, I LOVE the original STG-58 with the wood furniture, but I also like the Rhodesian contract rifles, so I combined the two looks with a good parts kit and ended up with one of the nicest looking FAL's I have ever seen! then I went over the top and stripped a Tapco butt stock for the M-243 butt hook and adapted it to my wood stock like the Israeli HB and ended up with a super sweet fighting rifle. :)

The issue with kits is there's no gunsmith within a 2 hour drive I'd even trust with a basic AR. Otherwise I'd have gotten a kit and held out for an imbel receiver already.

DSC05467.jpg
Any one of these old things....
Just kidding ... Kinda.
When we are at a rendezvous then Nope! ... Lots of looks.
But I think the muzzle loader can be overlooked or unfairly maligned as a viable working firearm in much of the magazines , forums* or TV shows out there.

I have found that if one takes the time to learn the rifle ... even a flintlock can be reliable in the rain and most of the rifles shown in the pic , are accurate enough to get your game animal out to 100 or so yards.
( with practice )

*Actually this forum has been the most receptive of my love for antique firearms ... even more so than a few of the black powder forums I have tried...
Andy

I agree, the SKS is a very over looked and under appriciated firearm. Many cannot enjoy the simplicity of the clip fed, 10rnd internal magazine.. They feel the need to bubba a perfectly awesome firearm and gum it up with busy accessories, some 20-30rnd mag and ugly adjustable stocks.

After I snag a certain rifle Ive been after (hopfully in June) an SKS is next on the list.. Im shocked I dont currently own one.. Sold a great one about 3 years ago and regretted it.

For a "modern" rifle .... I think that at least where I live , a .30-30 is often over looked and under appreciated.
Light weight , the round itself has "oomph" and it is easily found , low "recoil " and noise.
Not sure why some folks turn their nose up at old Marlin or Winchester in this caliber...
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class