JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another overlooked rifle in my area is any old bolt action .22LR rifle.

I recently got a CZ 455 Ultra Lux (28" barrel model) for something to do while waiting around during barrel cooling pauses when doing load development tests. That thing is like a little laser gun, just love it. I've taken to shooting the cattails that are growing in the sand pile behind the backstop -- the first time I tried that I started giggling so much every time they flopped over dead (100yds) my wife came over to see what was up -- apparently it was audible through hearing protection.

Last Edited:
Another overlooked rifle in my area is any old bolt action .22LR rifle.
At shows and shops where I live , they just don't sell or are wanted in trade.
Which is a double edged sword , often you can get them at a less than listed price ... but they can be hard to find , 'cause not many folks want them on their shelves or show tables.
Again for the record I have nothing against a old .22 bolt action rifle... In fact I prefer those to any other type of .22 rifle.

It is just that where I live most folks seem to be interested in buying a 10/22 or a AR15 copy or other similar rifle copy in .22LR.
Nothing against those rifles or the folks that like 'em ... Just not my style.
Andy

Here's an old Remington Sportmaster 512 .22 short or long rifle. Great shooter that I traded a puppy for 30 years ago.
And the old mk1 shoots straight and refuses to quit. Same mag always loaded since the 60s. Was my dad's.
1010217.jpg
1010216.jpg 1010204.jpg

View attachment 363915
Any one of these old things....
Just kidding ... Kinda.
When we are at a rendezvous then Nope! ... Lots of looks.
But I think the muzzle loader can be overlooked or unfairly maligned as a viable working firearm in much of the magazines , forums* or TV shows out there.

I have found that if one takes the time to learn the rifle ... even a flintlock can be reliable in the rain and most of the rifles shown in the pic , are accurate enough to get your game animal out to 100 or so yards.
( with practice )

*Actually this forum has been the most receptive of my love for antique firearms ... even more so than a few of the black powder forums I have tried...
Andy

Hey Andy,

If you duct tape 30 of those bad boys together, you could have a 30 round mag... kinda :rolleyes::D

Probably would rupture your spleen just trying to shoulder them though :eek:

How about Roy Weatherby's favorite? The 257 Weatherby mag. Flat shooter, great for medium game like pronghorn or black tail. But still bada$$ enough that Weatherby himself took a cape buffalo with it, one shot. This gun has the history of a legend with the popularity of Carrot Top.

I wonder why? Overlooked I think.

For me, it's always been the FN/FAL ( STG-58) and the Beretta BM-59 that get no love. I also like the FN-49, the K-31, and the Gewehr 43. Others would be the Veper 5.56, M98/48 Mountain Carbine, SMLE Jungle Carbine, Sturmgewehr 90, and lastly, my all time fave, the AR 180:):):)

I miss my BM-59 a LOT!!!! Even though if I still had it shooting it would be a pain I still wish I had kept it. Used to get some long looks at the old rock pit we shot at. When my Wife would be out there blasting cans with that thing smile on her face.

How about Roy Weatherby's favorite? The 257 Weatherby mag. Flat shooter, great for medium game like pronghorn or black tail. But still bada$$ enough that Weatherby himself took a cape buffalo with it, one shot. This gun has the history of a legend with the popularity of Carrot Top.

I wonder why? Overlooked I think.
We used one back on the farm.. also the 300 Wby.
Yea, those two deserve the Magnum name.

A shotgun that gets NO respect is the Mossberg bolt-action. Anyone know if they still make these? Mine sits buried in the closet somewhere and hasn't been fired in maybe 30 or more years. Never dumped it even when it meant moving it half-way across the country several times.. cuz my Dad got it for me (probably cheap) to hunt around the place, and it does work in spite of it's ungainly shape and weight and slow action. 12 gauge with removable 2-shot magazine... and oddly enuff it sports a nicely figured walnut(?!) stock and a real boyhowdy Poly-choke that was a real selling-point back in the 1960's. Wasted a lot of varmints and small game with it back when, before I gradjeated myself to a succession of pump 12's. Not the shottie :eek: I'd wish to be left alone with on a desert isle, but if I was, it would take care of business....

Last Edited:
Occasionally you see really nice figure in the stocks of Mossberg .22's , shotguns and also the Thompson Center Muzzle loading rifles...
Kinda nice when you see a beautiful stock on a "budget" gun.
Andy

FNH PS90. The 5.7 x 28 ammo is getting cheaper so you can shoot this little carbine more. The carbine has very little recoil and 50 round capacity magazine. I think it is a good little home defense carbine. Mine has a red dot, flashlight, and laser. Kind of gimmicky but each has its own advantages. The laser is good for a quick snapshot across a room, you just have to remember the offset from the barrel.

ps90.jpg

I'll throw another one out there. The Glock 22 and 23. I know, they are chambered because in 40S&W, that dreaded high pressure/lower capacity/hard recoiling demon cartridge. But, no one can say that its not a good defensive pistol/cartridge combo. I've used them both in IDPA and carried the Glock 22 on duty and I will submit to you all that it works.

Can't say I've ever shot one Jordan, kind of intriguing to me.
How's it run?
The trigger is a bit long and heavy if you are comparing it to a good AR trigger. I run revolvers so I don't complain. The recoil is comparable to a 10/22 but it is as loud as an AR. Total reliability even with the mags being kept fully loaded for two years. Good defense ammo is a bit pricey but the cheap Federal plinking stuff is better now. Its a blowback system and very reliable. The only thing I do not like about the design is the safety. It is not intuitive for an AR user and needs a fine motor skill with the tip of your trigger finger for take off safe and vice versa.

SKS
Those that think changing out the stock or magazine in an sks into a stupid bubba, that they are best in stock condition, are mostly internet parrots, this lemming thinking has turned into a group think/opinion.....so many guys repeat..... stock, its better that way.......Ill leave mine stock when I get one :rolleyes:

When I saw the Korean 75rnd drum SKS mags hit the market I wanted one badly and at the time everyone was severely negative towards the drum mag REALLY NEGATIVE, & on the main sks internet site its was a group opinion that no mags other than stock are any good or even fit! and the drums are the worst....then your admonished for thinking you can improve on such a brilliant design,
frankly I dont think the SKS will ever have a value there are just too many millions out there, so we are not hurting the curio & relics aspect of them, and anyone that doesnt think improvements cant be found....well frankly just dont possess the mechanical aptitude to make these statements :cool:

Well Im the guy that uploaded in 2012 the "How to Custom Fit Your SKS Drum Magazine" and subsequently other "how to's" for other SKS metal after market mags on you tube and anyone that has followed my instructions has a flawless feeding drum magazine ...fortunately this opinion of sks drum mags is no longer a scourge on the sks, its become an asset...
SKS owners need to wrap their minds around the fact that there is no one size fits all in the SKS world with so many diff manufacturers and in diff countries no less, its obvious to me a little custom fitting may likely be required.....So sorry to say its about "your" personal mechanical aptitude. and frankly if the sks is such a bubba why is it that the SKS is one of the weapons that has the most aftermarket customizing choices available, its right up there with the 10/22 custom parts availability , they dont tool up like this to loose money when they know there are vintage sks rifles in the millions out there.

I have learned to ignore the people in life that that try to keep me down & tell me......... that wont work....because maybe for you it wont! :D

sks1.jpg

SKS
Those that think changing out the stock or magazine in an sks into a stupid bubba, that they are best in stock condition, are mostly internet parrots, this lemming thinking has turned into a group think/opinion.....so many guys repeat..... stock, its better that way.......Ill leave mine stock when I get one :rolleyes:

When I saw the Korean 75rnd drum SKS mags hit the market I wanted one badly and at the time everyone was severely negative towards the drum mag REALLY NEGATIVE, & on the main sks internet site its was a group opinion that no mags other than stock are any good or even fit! and the drums are the worst....then your admonished for thinking you can improve on such a brilliant design,
frankly I dont think the SKS will ever have a value there are just too many millions out there, so we are not hurting the curio & relics aspect of them, and anyone that doesnt think improvements cant be found....well frankly just dont possess the mechanical aptitude to make these statements :cool:

Well Im the guy that uploaded in 2012 the "How to Custom Fit Your SKS Drum Magazine" and subsequently other "how to's" for other SKS metal after market mags on you tube and anyone that has followed my instructions has a flawless feeding drum magazine ...fortunately this opinion of sks drum mags is no longer a scourge on the sks, its become an asset...
SKS owners need to wrap their minds around the fact that there is no one size fits all in the SKS world with so many diff manufacturers and in diff countries no less, its obvious to me a little custom fitting may likely be required.....So sorry to say its about "your" personal mechanical aptitude. and frankly if the sks is such a bubba why is it that the SKS is one of the weapons that has the most aftermarket customizing choices available, its right up there with the 10/22 custom parts availability , they dont tool up like this to loose money when they know there are vintage sks rifles in the millions out there.

I have learned to ignore the people in life that that try to keep me down & tell me......... that wont work....because maybe for you it wont! :D

View attachment 364773

Imperialist running dogs & zombies, beware! :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top