JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What would you prefer?

• Total voters
Reactions
Looking to invest in some stuff to aid in shooting and hunting. Most of this would be used for competition. Likely off a tripod. They way I'm going I'm gonna need one of those rolling work bags or a range cart!

I cheaped out on my spotting scope with a vortex diamondback. I'm half tempted to use my canon 400mm f/5.6L as a replacement because honestly, I really dislike that spotter.

To date, I've just used my rifle scope as a spotter because it's usually the best thing I have at hand (4.5-27x).

But, I can see the use of a good spotter and will likely invest that way after awhile. Life is too short to suffer bad glass (for long).

I don't hunt so my opinion there is worthless. But, I was thinking a ground squirrel hunt with my nrl rig may be fun…

I would think a good spotting scope would be helpful, especially if combined with a smartphone app and adapter. It can keep track of your shot placement and determine the order in which they were fired. It can let you know if you have an issue with recoil control or staying out of the sights.

Can also be used for hunting.

Being I am mobile when hunting, binoculars and range finder. I have no use for a spotting scope because I am not going to pack it and there is few places it would be any more helpful than binoculars in the areas I hunt.

For competition it is a spotting scope on pole stand for seeing 100 yard target hits or mirage and target scores at longer distance. The pole stand is for adjusting from standing height to prone height.

For Highpower rifle competition the most popular spotting scope are by far the Kowa 82SV. It
is a 82 mm angled eye piece. Most shooters use the 25X long eye relief eye piece. Buy once cry once.
It is not high magnification that allows you to see holes in the target it is the clarity of the glass! Most
shooters use a 5/8" or 3/4" pole to mount the scope. Easily adjusted for standing sitting and prone. Also
the pole does not get in the way for position shooting. Picture from DRRC 600 yard line. At this distance
the scope is used to read the "mirage" to help read the wind besides seeing the scoring disc on the target.
Notice the Kowa angled head scope and Ray-Vin stand left of center. Each shooter has a 'scorer' behind
them. The scope body, eyepiece and cover will be over $1000.
1675520635180.png
1675521381737.png
1675520591807.png

I do like a spotting scope for range use and a separate range finder and compact binocular for hunting. Glass with the binoculars then use the range finder once I find something to range.

I don't competition shoot. I hunt, so take my vote of binoculars/rangefinder with a grain of salt. I haven't hunted eastern Oregon for elk for several years, but when I did a decent pair of binocs and a rangefinder was a good team. My scope is a 3-9x and my binocs are 10x. I can make out a lot more detail when I can see with both eyes.

These days I treestand hunt for deer where neither the binocs or the range finder are needed. :D

A quality spotting scope so you can see shots downrange because the range hogs wont go cold ! The spotting scope can also be used for viewing stars and such and if you live by a beach you can also see stuff lol.

I have all 3, but never carry the stupid spotting scope with me in the field. It gets used at the range.

I do carry a rangefinder, but rarely use it. I might range some objects if I decided to hold up somewhere for a while, but have never ranged an animal. I zero my rifle for MPBR and have never taken a shot over 288 yards at an animal.

8x42 binoculars are my most used tool.

I have a set of the vortex fury hd 5000's with the built in range finder and they go everywhere. I personally thought they had better quality than Sigs variant. Swarovski has a set and yes they are better quality however, more than twice the price. I can mount the vortex binos to a tripod with an arctic swivel adapter and just have them in a chest harness when walking.

That would be my vote however, if I'm hunting east side wa and setting up for long distance/ spot and stock I take a spotting scope as well.
Same as if I'm trying to put little groups in paper at the range.

As only a hunter I prefer a combined rangefinder and binocular. I have a cheap spotter because I keep hearing every hunter needs a spotter but honestly my 10x binos do it all for most hunting ranges 300yds or under. Ive never used the spotter for deer or elk hunting though I think I would if I ever draw a tag in a more open desert terrain unit. My binos are the Nikon Laserforce, I've tagged objects out to 1300yds so its way more than I need for ranging game.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top