JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What's On Your Favorite/Go To Hunting Rifle?

• Open Sights Only

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Optic Only

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Open Sights & Optic

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Red Dot

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Fixed Power (please specify power)

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Low Power Variable (please tell us the range)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 2-7x32

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 3-9x40

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • 4-12~16

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • 5~6ish-24~27ish or repurposed from a cold war spy sattelite

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
What do you use on your favorite hunting rifle and why? How well do you like it and if you could change it, what would you use? Do you use the same set up for east and west side hunting or do you you have specialized setups?

I use a scope but always bring a open sight rifle had my scope get snow packed one year and made it useless kind of hard to clean during a snow storm so if I see snow in the forecast I go open sights .

I use a 3-9 and my wife has a 2-7 only because the 3-9 is overly large for her small rifle. Both of them are VX-R with the Firedot reticle. That little dot is very nice to have in the early or late hour of the day. Unless we're hunting elk in eastern Oregon, the scopes stay on the lowest setting almost all of the time.

While I only voted 3-9, both of these are optic only rifles. We do have other hunting rifles, but these are our main ones.

I use a 3-9 and my wife has a 2-7 only because the 3-9 is overly large for her small rifle. Both of them are VX-R with the Firedot reticle. That little dot is very nice to have in the early or late hour of the day. Unless we're hunting elk in eastern Oregon, the scopes stay on the lowest setting almost all of the time.

While I only voted 3-9, both of these are optic only rifles. We do have other hunting rifles, but these are our main ones.
I have a 3-9 VX-r Patrol (matte black w. no gold ring) on my 280 AI. I really like that scope and dig the Firedot as well. It's just enough, but not too much and turns off automatically if the rifle hasn't moved in a bit.

Many Burris and Leupold. Most are 3-9 or 2-7. I have a couple of 4-12. It really depends on the caliber and purpose of the rifle. I also have my first Zeis conquest on my 375.. on certain rifles like my 358 norma I have s detachable G&H mount with a backup peep. It depends on what I hunt and where. I have big dreams but checks my body cant cash anymore

Before I state my opinion, I'll state my pet peeve. It's when people write "3x9" when they mean "3-9x40" or whatever. It's not a 3 power scope with a 9mm objective. It's written properly on the box and stamped/stenciled on the scope.

Now then, I think a 3-9 is fine though I like the options a 4-12 will provide even though I typically don't go over a 6x magnification when the actual shooting happens. In fact, where I hunt a fixed 4x would be just fine nearly any day of the week. As for objective lens size, 40mm has always been fine, though the 50+mm objectives I own are certainly more clear and sharper. Enough of a difference to make a difference? At my age, probably not. So a 3-9x40 or a 3.5-10x40 are typically what end up on my rifles, more often than not with a 1" tube.

Before I state my opinion, I'll state my pet peeve. It's when people write "3x9" when they mean "3-9x40" or whatever. It's not a 3 power scope with a 9mm objective. It's written properly on the box and stamped/stenciled on the scope.
Point taken and I stand corrected. Unfortunately I am unable to change the text in the poll. Perhaps a moderator could correct this error? I would be much obliged.

I feel much the same way when people use the term "caliber", which is the bullet or sometimes a straight wall cartridge diameter, when discussing cartridges. I still learn from them and appreciate their input, so long as I understand what they are saying.

I used to be an iron sight guy. I got old.

I use a Trijicon 3-9x40 on my Tikka T3x .30-06, which is my "main" big game rifle. It pretty much lives at around 5x though. The green illumination is kinda neat at dusk.

I added an older Leupold fixed 4x to my '80s era Marlin 336 .30-30 this summer.

My bow has a single pin sight.

Weight is my main concern when outfitting a hunting rig. I'm not interested in carrying around a lot of extra heavy glass and aluminum if I can avoid it.

I've got a VX6 2-12x50, so yes...?
I maxxed out the number of poll questions, so picked what I felt was the most representative, In terms of the poll I'd say to pick the closest category in your opinion.

It's getting interesting how so many companies are pushing the envelope. Sounds like a heck of a great scope!

I hunted westside deer with a .30 M1 sporterized carbine and a 4x by whatever fixed Weaver.

My first hunting rifle on the eastside for deer/elk (7mm Rem Mag) had a 3x9x? Bushnell Banner.

My last big game rifle (.308) sported a 3x9x? Silver Bushnell Banner that stayed on 4 most of the time.

My AR shortie has a reflex optic.

My AR heavy barrel varmint rifle had a Chinese 6x24x50 which I replaced with a worthless Chinese 10x40x50 that was so fuzzy at top magnification that I took it back off and gave it away.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top