JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back on topic.
Something like this is hard to beat compared to a dot and magnifier. Just one option. There are many out there now in this category. I don't know all of them well enough to link. This guy really surprised me when I got to hold onto it. Silly light and small. I want to say Sig has a few similar as well as Eotech. Nightforce too, I always forget them, mostly as I can't afford them!

I have different guns setup for different tasks. My dedicated NV gun has an EoTech on a Unity riser, I have found it to be the best setup working under NODs. In this case I'm not concerned with battery life or timed out reticles, everything on that gun is like going through a preflight check list. My dedicated HD gun has an Aimpoint micro that is always on, ready for immediate go time. My general purpose gun, what I would consider the Jack of all trades, has a LPVO and an offset RDS.

I do not have a magnifier but would like to get one (already have the mount) a Unity QD FTC since both my EoTech & Micro optics are on 2.26" Unity mounts. I prefer the symmetry, balance and reduced peripheral vision blockage of the FTC vs the FTS mounts.

To answer the OP, an EoTech would not be my first choice for a GP gun, but I can see why it is for others and it would be (as is) my first choice for an NV gun.

I don't think anyone has addressed this, but why choose a magnified RD when the dot itself gets magnified as well? 3MOA to 9MOA dot isn't good for distance, which defeats the magnifier to begin with............

I don't think anyone has addressed this, but why choose a magnified RD when the dot itself gets magnified as well? 3MOA to 9MOA dot isn't good for distance, which defeats the magnifier to begin with............
Why is the magnifier on the user side such that it magnifies the dot?

I get that. Is it placed on the user side for the eyebox. Is there reason that a scout type magnifier isn't used on the other side so the dot is the same?
No idea. The only setups I've used were all with the magnifier behind the optic.

I get that. Is it placed on the user side for the eyebox. Is there reason that a scout type magnifier isn't used on the other side so the dot is the same?
No idea. The only setups I've used were all with the magnifier behind the optic.
I bought a Vortex 3x off a member here to give the concept a run. The eye relief is friggin terrible. The sweet spot on the vortex is maybe 1.25" to 1.7" distance from the magnifier.

Being cross eye dominant to start plus that tiny bubblegum eye box…anyone want a 3x, got one for sale!

I'm still down to try an LPVO - my 6x-24x has great eye relief at the lower settings so I'd assume the LPVO wouldn't be too bad.

Have been running a 3x prism. Tempted to get a 6x prism and 45 degree mount a dot.

Still a lot of experimentation for me to do. One thing I won't be coming back to: the magnifier.

The setups I tried didn't inspire much confidence nor did I care to indulge myself. @Hueco you are spot on with the sh!tty eye relief. The 9MOA dot (or larger) is the cherry on top for me. No thanks.

I can't believe I missed this thread when it started. As one who's been issued both an ACOG and an EOTECH in the military, and has extensively used an AIMPOINT in my post-mil career, I shall weigh in.

My favorite is, and always will be the EOTECH. I like the circle/dot reticle -- it's absolutely the fastest sight to acquire there is. And a big reason the guys who shoot guns the most in real life use these sights.

The battery issue is silly. Most of us have to keep a lot of extra batteries on hand for various items in our kit. Most of us are no longer in situations where we require "shake-awake" or "always-on." I can do a button, even when waking from a dead sleep. Maybe in a TEOTWAWKI or Walking Dead scenario when no more batteries will ever be produced again I'll reconsider.

I do like the AIMPOINT T-2 and even the old Comp M4. But for my purposes, the EOTECH HWS is simply a better system.

Now that I'm a private citizen again, I have no need for an ACOG, although I like taking it to my buddy's 500-yard range. But I found that I used the RMR mounted on my ACOG far more often than the ACOG itself.

LPVOs are probably the most practical for us civilians, but especially if the optic has a true 1X.

But, I do love an EOTECH and a G33 magnifier. Best of all worlds

I do too. The EoTech is great for everything inside 100 yards. A big window and a rugged housing. If I need a precise shot out to 300 I have irons sights.

Magnifiers add additional weight, I do not like them. The elegant solution is fewer moving parts.

Also hate the lack of motac or shake awake.
That is the one (1) thing I do not like about EoTech. If Holosun can figure it out surely EoTech can figure it out too.

The only way to ensure 100% reliability is irons. Anything with a circuit board has the potential to fail.
A skilled iron shooter with a properly zeroed rifle can outshoot an average shooter with expensive optics, any day. The weak point of irons (IMO) are low light conditions.

The Trijicon Credo HX 1-6 seems the best of both worlds.

Not only does it have an etched reticle for normal use, but when lit up the only thing that glows is a red dot...nothing else.

It works great for CQB, as the magnification on the 1 setting is close to zero. So you're able to use the LVPO as a red dot in close situations.

Out to 200+ yards, put the dot on target and send the shots. Past 200, use the etched reticle and you're good to go.

Not only does it have an etched reticle for normal use, but when lit up the only thing that glows is a red dot...nothing else.
Vortex PST 1-6 (which many people run) has the same red dot/etched reticle set-up. Is the Trijicon $250 better? I don't have an LPVO or a dog in the fight, just curious. I do have a couple of TA31s and those are bombproof.

Vortex PST 1-6 (which many people run) has the same red dot/etched reticle set-up. Is the Trijicon $250 better? I don't have an LPVO or a dog in the fight, just curious. I do have a couple of TA31s and those are bombproof.
I've not tried that particular Vortex model. Unless it's their top of the line stuff, their other lines don't have the quality of glass my eyes like.

The other thing I mentioned, and is often overlooked...even though it has the red dot reticle, will the magnification be zero or close to it on its lowest setting. With some people, not a deal breaker...with me it is

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR