JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sup, ya'll please bear with me as this post might seem a bit pedantic but I'd really appreciate your feedback as always. As the internet seems to careen back, forth and sideways from one knee jerk reaction to another in the "tactical trends" of the gun world, do any of ya'll still prefer Eotech's and Magnifiers over an LVPO and an offset or top mounted red dot on your GPR's?

Note: for the rifle setup in question, a 13.9 Pin and Weld general purpose rifle I see some magnification as a *must* have on this build. I have had people come in the comments of threads I've posted about LPVO's in the past, try to convince me that magnification isn't "necessary" and that so-and-so can hit targets at 200-400 yards with a red dot with no issue when that really wasn't the debate I was trying to have. If this is your POV, you are entitled to your opinion, but that is not an option for this build for me. This rifle will have magnification of some form or another so please don't detract from the conversation by trying to turn it into a "magnification vs. no-magnification" discussion. Thanks.

And with that said, let's get into the reason why I started this thread. While it's obvious that all options have their pros and cons it seems that people have really swayed away from using Holo-sights and Magnifiers. I have run both 1-6 LPVO's as well as Magnified red dots, and I am still torn.

I've been debating whether I should do the same on my 13.9 GPR, or give the ol' Eotech + Magnifier setup another chance. Eventually, I'd like to use night vision with my 13.9 and be able to aim passively through an optic on that gun. For this, a top mounted dot seems kind of awkward with this height over bore, and compromised third point of contact (can you even get a cheek weld?). Maybe it's not and I am overthinking it having never done it before. That being said, the LPVO is clearly superior for engagements at intermediate ranges which is a capability that I think is important for a GPR. Also, provided that running a top mounted red dot isn't too awkward, it would be an easier more cost effective item to add as I go. It would merely add capability without changing much else about the setup that would already be there if that makes any sense. I appreciate the image quality of a good LPVO, as well as their versatility as a jack of all trades optic, which kind of suits the GPR concept poetically.

As for the Eotech and Mag setup, I'm not sure I'd enjoy going back to crammed eye box/relief and worse image quality (under magnification), and having a 12 ounce chungus hanging off the side of my rifle in the tight confines of a CQB environment. After all this is still a GPR and I'd like it to still do GPR things i.e. be capable out to 300-400 yards while offering a decent ability to maneuver in CQB (or home defense). I know there is the Unity riser and FTC that fixes the snag hazard and balancing issue of the magnifier, but that adds considerable cost, and some weight to a build that I originally wanted to be somewhat light and handy. With the 2.25 height riser, I am not sure how much I'd like running that under magnification and having to settle for a chin weld having heard that it's less slower and harder to control. also if I added the Unity stuff say, after I bought the EOTECH and Magnifier, I'd have to re-learn the holds, ergos, etc. (again maybe this wouldn't be as big of a problem as I'm thinking it might be.). Despite my criticisms, the EOTECH is superior on 1x (and it's not close compared to an LPVO 1x), it's faster to acquire, easier to track under recoil, has less issues with parallax, eye relief, etc., is just all around more intuitive to use on 1x and seems like a more natural choice for passive aiming with it's huge window, light transmission etc. (I know you all know this, I am just stating this to show that I have considered things things so you have a general idea of my knowledge level.)

There is, after all a lot to spend money on to get my gear to even a modestly NV capable setup. The way I see it, I am still no less than $7k away from completing an NV capable setup with a PVS-14, bump helmet and mounting accessories, an optic stack capable of good NV passive aiming, a device for active aiming (like a D-BAL), and a suppressor. All that in mind if I keep waffling on setups then I worry I'll never get there without a plan. I feel like the decision I end up making if going to dictate a lot about how the rest of this build goes and how I spend my money. This is why I throw this out to you, who may already have experience of have been there. What have your experiences been when trying these setups? Is LPVO + top dot the way to go for my application? Or would I be better served going with the undisputed king (still) of passive aiming optics under nods, the Eotech EXPS3?

I like LVPOs over magnified red dots due to the dot getting magnified. At 300 it covers the whole target.

Last Edited:
I absolutely love the flexibility of a flip to side magnifier with an EXPS 3-0. I run one pistol build with that and another with a holosun 510G and a vortex magnifier.

Then my 16" AR has a LPVO 1-6x24. There's nothing better for distance shooting than an illuminated etched reticle in my opinion

Eotech. Cause you can remove the magnifier completely depending on your scenario.

Less real estate taken up on the gun.

Which one? I too don't see many Eotech setups but I don't dislike them. I'd rock one. 😎
EXPS 2-0 with the green dot.

C2B6BC0B-9C5B-4391-BD27-1535902F83BE.jpeg

I'm really liking the idea of them. They are truly battle tested. I just don't see them much these days. With the sheer quantity of options out there now, it's an older design with older features. I would love to see them upgrade the tech in them and drop a new version. I feel like they are just holding into the military side of things and not progressing forward with anything updated.

I'm really liking the idea of them. They are truly battle tested. I just don't see them much these days. With the sheer quantity of options out there now, it's an older design with older features. I would love to see them upgrade the tech in them and drop a new version. I feel like they are just holding into the military side of things and not progressing forward with anything updated.
Yea. I can see that. However I like tried and true.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
True, but minor improvements can be made over the last couple of decades or longer years they started making them.

Kind of how Glock started milling slides for optics. They didn't change much to update themselves to the current times, but it was a huge thing that they did.

If Eotech updated the circuitry I bet they could get better life out of the device. They certainly could go nuts making better reticles.

True, but minor improvements can be made over the last couple of decades or longer years they started making them.

Kind of how Glock started milling slides for optics. They didn't change much to update themselves to the current times, but it was a huge thing that they did.

If Eotech updated the circuitry I bet they could get better life out of the device. They certainly could go nuts making better reticles.
Definitely better reticles.

Based on the height of the mount I'm guessing your choice might have a little to do with why others choose Eotech. They are some of the best to look through when always looking through something.
Yea. I like the big window/eye relief and I also like the height. But you have to factor in the height over bore when shooting close. Lol.

I personally am not a huge fan of the LVPO. They're not bad but I feel like I'm looking through a tube and they take up a bunch of space. If I were to run a LVPO it would be magnified all the time and I would run a red dot on top and just look over the top of the LVPO unless shooting out to distances. But with a 11.5 SBR that's not my intention. With a 16" I may have a different thought process.

Just get one of each.

A magnifier with a quick detach is nice, because you can move it between rifles already set with Eotechs. But I would only use a magnifier on a holographic optic with crisp center dot, and not a (non-holo) red dot, just like someone said earlier the dot is magnified. The new Eotech G43 and older Trijicon magnifier are nice.

I wouldn't get an LPVO unless it is a nice one. The window, glass, and chunk factor varies a lot between models.

I honestly didn't read the whole post, but if you are seriously going with NODs as a priority, then Eotech with a Unity mount sounds like the way to go due to the eye relief and clearance needs. Check out BrassFacts and hoplopfheil of YouTube, they go over that stuff in detail.

Neither, a prism and piggybacked red dot are all you need. Bombproof setup if you go ACOG+RMR. Heck, you can get a front flip cover for the ACOG and use it as a red dot too, especially if it's the LED version. Just flip cover closed, open both eyes and boom, you have a dot.

An Eotech with flip magnifier adds weight and complexity that I don't appreciate, and Eotechs are really only worth their horrible battery life when on outings for predetermined time periods or when running night vision. Plus, I don't like relying 100% on batteries and knowing I'll likely need to use backup irons after only a month or two.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top