JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What's On Your Favorite/Go To Hunting Rifle?

• Open Sights Only

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Optic Only

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Open Sights & Optic

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Red Dot

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Fixed Power (please specify power)

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Low Power Variable (please tell us the range)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 2-7x32

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 3-9x40

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • 4-12~16

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • 5~6ish-24~27ish or repurposed from a cold war spy sattelite

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
For iron sights, ghost ring aperture - preferably with flipping apertures so I can switch between ghost ring and a finer/smaller aperture. A front fiber optic sight.

For the optic, it would be a "Scout scope" LPVO. I wish someone would make a 1.x-4-8X scope with extended eye relief of at least 12", preferably more - something like pistol scopes have - until someone does, I go with a 2-7X.

I don't hunt anymore, but in my experience west of the Cascades, this setup is fine. I don't think I need more than 8X magnification, and I like the Scout scope setup. Even east of the Cascades (last time I hunted, it was elk hunting near Ellensburg) - this setup worked fine for me. I don't take shots much over 200-300 yards.

YMMV.

I have a 1-4x24 on my new favorite and as long as visibility is good 400yards no sweat. Pretty cool for timber pounding on 1 power the barrel is visible in the scope. Most my rifles have a 3-9×40 with turrets.

Before I state my opinion, I'll state my pet peeve. It's when people write "3x9" when they mean "3-9x40" or whatever. It's not a 3 power scope with a 9mm objective. It's written properly on the box and stamped/stenciled on the scope.
It's a small thing, but it's technical and while it doesn't bother me as much as you, I'm with you on that.
Weight is my main concern when outfitting a hunting rig. I'm not interested in carrying around a lot of extra heavy glass and aluminum if I can avoid it.
This can be a biggie. The scopes we use, 2-7x33 and 3-9x40 are both 30mm tubes. I don't have a need for the longer range of adjustment or the small amount of light gathering the larger tube offers, but it was the only way to get the reticle I wanted. There is a bit of a weight penalty, but it's not huge. There is a dollar penalty as Ruger charges a bit of a premium for the 30mm rings compared to the 1".

I really love the light gathering during pre sunrise and post sundown that a good scope gives. I missed a very nice buck in 2020 because I couldn't see him with my naked eye. Of course that's the year I decided to hunt with my ancient Winchester 1984. That's ok, I drilled a small spike later that day.
I love the ability to see objects thru the scope that I can't see with the naked eye, but otherwise the scope isn't needed as long as I hunt from a stand. 2020 I shot the deer at 35 yards. 2021 was probably 12 yards. At those distances I barely need to sight in!

It's a small thing, but it's technical and while it doesn't bother me as much as you, I'm with you on that.

This can be a biggie. The scopes we use, 2-7x33 and 3-9x40 are both 30mm tubes. I don't have a need for the longer range of adjustment or the small amount of light gathering the larger tube offers, but it was the only way to get the reticle I wanted. There is a bit of a weight penalty, but it's not huge. There is a dollar penalty as Ruger charges a bit of a premium for the 30mm rings compared to the 1".
I searched high and low for a 1" scope (I already had Taley rings) that fit my needs before I landed on the Trijicon. The reticle is more complicated than I need, but I can ignore most of it.

I really love the light gathering during pre sunrise and post sundown that a good scope gives. I missed a very nice buck in 2020 because I couldn't see him with my naked eye. Of course that's the year I decided to hunt with my ancient Winchester 1984. That's ok, I drilled a small spike later that day.
I rely on my binoculars probably more than I should. That's going to be my next gear upgrade

I love the ability to see objects thru the scope that I can't see with the naked eye, but otherwise the scope isn't needed as long as I hunt from a stand. 2020 I shot the deer at 35 yards. 2021 was probably 12 yards. At those distances I barely need to sight in!
You could have used a sharp stick at those distances!

if just limited to the choices in the poll id go with the 3x9.

On my favorite hunting rifle I have a 3x18.

One of the things hardly mentioned in hunting scopes topics is FOV, you want the widest FOV possible, more than you need magnification.

Last Edited:
I rely on my binoculars probably more than I should. That's going to be my next gear upgrade
That's our next upgrades, too. We have decent binoculars, but I think it's time for better than decent. My eyes ain't getting any better and I'll take all of the help I can get.

That's our next upgrades, too. We have decent binoculars, but I think it's time for better than decent. My eyes ain't getting any better and I'll take all of the help I can get.
Same. I have some Vortex 8x42 soemthing-or-others I bought ~5 years ago. They were around a grand at the time, but having looked through some Leica and Swarovski, I know they are still lacking.

Nah - I like the deer alive - I don't care for their meat. Now if it was elk I would get a tag.
Many people don't care for deer meat, but there is a big difference between eastern Mulies and western Blacktail. These western deer don't taste like juniper. Prep for good eating Mulies is more involved than for our Blacktail.
Elk? My absolute favorite meat. Period.

Many people don't care for deer meat, but there is a big difference between eastern Mulies and western Blacktail. These western deer don't taste like juniper. Prep for good eating Mulies is more involved than for our Blacktail.
Most the deer I've had is from Arizona and Oklahoma, which have been eating on some choice sun-grown vegetation. The WA deer need to unionize and demand some better greens!

I push for practical and period correct on most of my old rifles which means it's Weaver, Zeiss, Redfield, or old school Leupold. Most are ether fixed 6 power, or low variables. I do rock a newer 4-12x40 on the Mauser 98 in 7 mm rem, as well as an older 3.5-15X50 on the Tikka Super Varmint .30/06, both are also fixed with Irons, the Mauser was originally equipped with Redfield Peep's and post and globe with w Bhuler Tip Off mount set and Tally rings, while the Tikka wears a custom set of irons with a equally custom tip off mount that cost almost as much as the rifle, but was so worth it!

I've been surprised by how good moose and caribou taste. Makes sense about east vs west side deer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top