JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1972 pinto wagon

IMG_1512.jpeg

The 24 Tacomas will all be turbo 4-cylinder. They are supposed to have a hybrid later this year too. I'll stick with the V6 for now.
That turbo 4 found its way into the '23 Highlander. Honestly, after driving the wife's several hundred miles, I'm not noticing the difference. And has plenty of power. Cruises at highways speed with the tach around 1,600 rpm…. Drives at least as smooth as our '17 Arcadia w/ V6.

That turbo 4 found its way into the '23 Highlander. Honestly, after driving the wife's several hundred miles, I'm not noticing the difference. And has plenty of power. Cruises at highways speed with the tach around 1,600 rpm…. Drives at least as smooth as our '17 Arcadia w/ V6.
Actual MPG?

Turbo 4's are gonna be (already are?) mainstream with the need for better mpgs. My first turbo 4 believe it or not was a 78 Saab turbo (2.0 liter). First production turbo (at least larger scale production, not race cars). On 80's Saab turbos there was a hack where you could jump the relay and force max boost. It made them crazy fast. I scared a whole lotta passengers with those cars. Turbo came on all at once and it was totally overwhelming, especially if you weren't expecting it. Still have two 2.3turbo wagons. In the wet you can drift with the e brake and hold the front wheels spinning for a long time. Flippin hilarious to see a wagon drifting around corners with full wheel spin (front wheel drive spin). Need to replace the ignition on one which is in between the seats and is a royal, royal, PITA. It was stupid of them to put it there just for "retro" appeal.

They do, but then it feels like I'm sitting on the floor. I'm sure big people drive them everyday and I really like Toyota but they're too small for me.
Now that we have a couple vehicles that the seat can be raised easily my Wife loves that. Then every time I get in one after her my head in on the roof until I lower the damn seat. I miss the days the seats just went back and forth. :s0140:

They're great. And plenty big enough, I would absolutely drive one. But I like my Raptor. :D
I hear you I was just curious if Tundra had same height issue as tacoma or not. This guy had the first 1 million mile tundra. Big dude. They were surprised the seat wasn't all sagged out completely after that much time at the wheel.

141E3367-436D-4C93-B19E-003A0562235F.jpeg

"Then there is the driver's seat. This was a key item for Toyota engineers considering Sheppard said he often slept in the truck, and he's not exactly a small guy. In fact, the seat was such a source of excitement and curiosity among the engineers it was shipped to Japan to be examined by a team there.

Having been returned to the U.S. technical center prior to our visit, it sat alongside the cloth interior that once covered it. After being thoroughly reviewed by American and Japanese engineers, the seat was found to be completely functional and meeting specification. "Seat architecture isn't just a Tundra product, this is used in a variety of Toyota and Lexus products globally and various engineers wanted to see it. It's impressive how well it held up." Seat development involves a lot of testing, but can't replicate this amount of use. Toyota engineers did find one tear on the cloth about the length of a quarter. This tear could have been from a variety of things and was a concern until they noticed the tear was just on the surface layer. It never made it through to the seat padding."

From

Last Edited:
I just rented one in Pittsburgh. I'm 6'3 and didn't have that problem. a good 3-4 inches of head room The seats go down quite a bit
If only the Toyotas could tow stuff though. Who cares about leg or headroom when they aren't capable? I needed a crew cab Superduty because I wasn't willing to compromise on towing safety. I'm 6'4" and needed more than comfort. If I was still an urbanite I may have smaller toys but with a family of six we kinda need to have big boy trailers. I've always been a Chevy guy since a child but found out real quick with my first brand new truck that Chevy's warranty is garbage, transmission was junk and skidding tires but they said it's "in spec". I fixed it with a brand new F350 in '19, paid cash and haven't looked back. Too bad the little toy trucks cannot tow a full size trailer or I'd own one.

If only the Toyotas could tow stuff though. Who cares about leg or headroom when they aren't capable? I needed a crew cab Superduty because I wasn't willing to compromise on towing safety. I'm 6'4" and needed more than comfort. If I was still an urbanite I may have smaller toys but with a family of six we kinda need to have big boy trailers. I've always been a Chevy guy since a child but found out real quick with my first brand new truck that Chevy's warranty is garbage, transmission was junk and skidding tires but they said it's "in spec". I fixed it with a brand new F350 in '19, paid cash and haven't looked back. Too bad the little toy trucks cannot tow a full size trailer or I'd own one.
I've always been a Ford guy. Owned many and besides my '04 6.0 Powerstroke they were all excellent vehicles.

A coworker had a newer Tacoma and recently sold it. He is about 6'4" and slender. He said it was not comfortable on drives over about 2hrs. Dunno but figured I'd mention it.

Side note, Toyota has redesigned the Tacoma for 2024. They're downsizing the engine to a 2.4L turbo. I don't know if the newer engine is proven or brand new.

I am not a fan of these newer engines where the promised horsepower or torque is achieved at much higher RPM's. Reliability? Longevity?

I think the same 2.4L engine is going into the redesigned Land Cruiser too.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tacoma/

I am not a fan of these newer engines where the promised horsepower or torque is achieved at much higher RPM's. Reliability? Longevity?
That is exactly the issue. There's a reason these old hit-and-miss engines at Antique Power Land are still running with millions of hours on them. But there is one down there that is super charged. :)

I think the mid-grade turbo 4 for the Tacoma has higher power and torque than the one they're putting in the Highlander. Basically same engine, different tuning.

I'm looking at replacing my Titan with the new Tacoma.

That is exactly the issue. There's a reason these old hit-and-miss engines at Antique Power Land are still running with millions of hours on them. But there is one down there that is super charged. :)
Modern highly rollorized engines running high rpm's on synthetic oil push 200k to 300k miles or more and do it putting out 2 to 3 times the horsepower that was possible 20 to 30 years ago with better fuel mileage . Hit or miss engines run a few hours here and there .

Hit or miss engines run a few hours here and there .
Not always the case. One of them down there ran for years pumping irrigation water in SoCal, and was still used occasionally in it's final yeas up to 1979. I have the pictures of the stats somewhere. And then there's the tug boat engines down there. Those likely have a butt-load of hour too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top