JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For me it is going to be a day of smoking deer hocks in prep to finish them off low and slow sous vide and a pellet shoot out with my airforce talonp .25 cal. I have been shooting jsb hades 26.54 which shoot very well, but I am going to revisit the topic with some other varieties using my newish garmin for chrono data!
What are all you other non Superbowl peeps doing today?

IMG_5338.jpeg

You make sure everyone knows that you don't care about the game!

I'm smoking up a pork shoulder, mac & cheese, chorizo shotgun shells and have some chili going in the dutch oven.

I'm a sports fan and a gun owner. I'm not afraid to admit it!

I did shoot a few rats this morning. They will feed the ravens.

You make sure everyone knows that you don't care about the game!

I'm smoking up a pork shoulder, mac & cheese, chorizo shotgun shells and have some chili going in the dutch oven.

I'm a sports fan and a gun owner. I'm not afraid to admit it!

I did shoot a few rats this morning. They will feed the ravens.
I am a sports fan but not particularly the superbowl unless the Hawks are in it.

A bit of firearm maintenance...
Was looking through the gun safe and found some items that I put into our classifieds.

Doing some reading and drinking coffee....later more reading but with beer.... :D
Andy

I may watch a bit of the game as my wife informs me she will be watching Reeb's do the National anthem. I can abide by Reba although Patsy Cline is more my syle!

Well the hocks are in the green mountain smoking. Here are the results of my shootout. The Jsb exact kings beat the hades pellets today and the slugs made a strong showing. I would not hesitate to use the slugs if bigger pests like coons and coyotes were the target. The bc of the slugs is almost triple the pellets and would retain energy and drift way less in the wind. Between the pellets I think my shooting today was just ok and it probably skewed the results. That being said the exact kings beat the hades in bc .038 to .026 and that is huge. With slightly better grouping and the bc advantage, I will make the switch to the jsb exact kings. All groups were 5 shots at 50yds on a fresh filled tank and burning three shots after fill let fps settle in.

Not my best work with the hades but no cherry picking!
IMG_5351.jpeg

For some reason I accidentally purged chrono data for the exact kings but not before writing them down
IMG_5352.jpeg
IMG_5350.jpeg

Btw these targets are a bit odd in that the green bull and the distance between rings is less than 1" if you are thinking my measured groups look optimistic. 😅

image.jpg

And here is my main impetus to switching to the exact kings
IMG_5353.jpeg

Well back to the hocks.Time to take off the smoker and put in sous vide bath.

After getting back from city, been taking care of odds'n'ends, looking for some revolver grips,* planning out next week, and hanging with my wifely sidekick. No interest in the Super Bowl and couldn't name a Taylor Swift song if I tried. :s0155:

* These look neato.
1707695454028.png

Hocks are in their little sous vide bath at 144 deg where they will reside for the next 48hr. I put one in whole and took the meat off the bone on the other, just to see if there will be a difference. Hopefully it all ends up tender and juicy.

IMG_5354.jpeg

Last Edited:
Nothing left to do but contemplate what I have done! The deer hocks are on autopilot with results tbd.
I ran the numbers in strelok for the hybrid slugs and it is pretty eye opening. Too bad they cost so much more. Like I said for larger pest it would be the schnitzel, and I would use them in a heartbeat if that was the quarry. Here is the chart I made with the slugs added. Look at wind drift difference between hades and the slugs. 14 freakin inches! I don't know about others, but most of my longer range misses with pcp guns come from wind. God help that 150yd pigeon or crow!

IMG_5355.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews