JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today, Mrs. Merkt was doing her volunteer work thing. So I headed north to visit gun shops. It was a clear, cool, sunny day with a beautiful blue sky. The birds were taking full advantage of it. Going north on I-5, I saw some of the biggest flocks of geese heading south that I'd ever seen. Around Mount Vernon, a swan flew over the road. In Burlington, a huge murder of crows was gleaning a pumpkin field. There were flocks of small birds frolicking and bathing in puddles.

A bird's life is a hard one, mostly. But they must have some moments of dimly comprehended joy.

Fun Facts about Geese. There's a lot going on with any animal that mates for life and mourns over the loss of young and/or mating partner. And the fact that other geese will drop out of the flock to help and protect a struggling goose. So yea, if they can feel pain, loss, sorrow, and perhaps loyalty, they can probably feel some level of joy too. :)

• As gostlings ducks and geese will bond with the first suitable moving stimulus, no matter if this is a goose, person or even an object. They remain dedicated to that person or object as their surrogate "parent" throughout their lives.
  • Geese are highly social animals. If they are raised around other livestock and fowl, they usually get along well with them.
  • Goose is actually the term for female geese, male geese are called ganders. A group of geese on land or in water are a gaggle, while in the air they are called a skein.
  • Geese eat seeds, nuts, grass, plants and berries.
  • They are the largest waterfowls, the other being swans. Though they are waterfowls, they spent most of their time on land.
  • Geese always fly in the shape of a 'V', as it allows at least 71 % greater flying range. When the goose in the lead gets tired, another goose takes over the position.
  • Geese are very loyal. They mate for life and are protective of their partners and offspring.
  • Geese express a mourning behavior when they lose their mating partner or their eggs.
  • They enjoy preening their feathers, foraging for food in the grass, and collecting twigs, bark, and leaves to use to make "home improvements" in their nests.
  • They have strong affections for others in their group. If a goose gets sick or is wounded, a couple of other geese may drop out of formation to help and protect him.

• Geese always fly in the shape of a 'V', as it allows at least 71 % greater flying range. When the goose in the lead gets tired, another goose takes over the position.
Yes, I read this somewhere not too long ago. There is a drafting effect, reducing air resistance for the following birds. Like following closely behind a large truck on the freeway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top