JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Awesome!

I started out in this field in 1982 with the very first 8 test turbines in Palm Springs desert

Went on to install and operate the next 200 25k, then onto the 300 kilowatt, though out Cal. huge in it's time!

Went to work for Zond and now there are some 5,000 turbines in the valley

After that I move back to my beloved Oregon and started a building maintenance company, nightly cleaning, carpet, tile, pressure washing etc.

In short, I'm a Professional toilet cleaner lol

I work on these thingys

9777C1B3-C4A1-4908-9DE6-8638616672C7-3337-00000120B603B4BD.jpg

Awesome!

I started out in this field in 1982 with the very first 8 test turbines in Palm Springs desert

Went on to install and operate the next 200 25k, then onto the 300 kilowatt, though out Cal. huge in it's time!

After that I move back to my beloved Oregon and started a building maintenance company, nightly cleaning, carpet, tile, pressure washing etc.

That is awesome! You wouldn't believe the technology now. These things are pretty smart considering 1's and 0's control them. Did you ever hear about the boeing test turbines? They were installed right down the street from our current project back in the 70's and 80's.

Boeing: MOD-2/MOD-5B Wind Turbines

You worked for Airbus? My son is just starting out at Boeing up in Everett. He's doing stress analysis for the 767.

Not Airbus. Just grabbed a photo of a commercial jet off the internet.

Worked for the other aircraft manufacturers. (McDonnell Douglas and Boeing) Long Beach, Seattle, Renton and Portland.

Awesome!

Did you ever know a dude by the name of Mike Merrick? I worked for a company that hauled the tubular steel tower pieces, the nacelles, generators (direct drive and otherwise), and fiberglass blades. I actually have a AA Degree in Applied Sciences in Renewable Energy and have quite a number of certs to be on the sites where they're located. I am also certified to climb in those massive things. I'm not using it since I do make more money doing what I currently do (I also thoroughly enjoy it), and the fact I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees is a total bummer.

I do hope we're talking about the same Mike (not sure of his last name)

He had a windfarm next to the one I managed in Palm Springs, awesome guy!

We used to call him "The laughing Indian" get him laughing & it was contagious, you could hear him 2 wind farms over!

I heard he was up here Teaching?

Did you ever know a dude by the name of Mike Merrick? I worked for a company that hauled the tubular steel tower pieces, the nacelles, generators (direct drive and otherwise), and fiberglass blades. I actually have a AA Degree in Applied Sciences in Renewable Energy and have quite a number of certs to be on the sites where they're located. I am also certified to climb in those massive things. I'm not using it since I do make more money doing what I currently do (I also thoroughly enjoy it), and the fact I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees is a total bummer.

FofFoud, I was "in the que" for a VA L4/L5 surgury. Was completely healed via using a TENS UNIT. They are not for "everyone", but for those that they work upon, remarkable healings are there.

TENS: Transubcutaenal Electrode Nerve Stimulation. They are a prescription type item, but can be found ~online~ OTC, read on them, study the correct usage issues, and for less than a "C Note" you can be in much better, no pain meds needed relief!

Through the Doctor, the cost is 300% more...... With wife as applicator, you will be even better off than me, trying to reach & apply by "touch" is just not the correct method !!!

Hope That Helps,

philip

Pain free for a year, with occaisional reapplications to continue when needed...

I have a TENS unit, does help with my shoulder, arthritis, rotor cup damage.
I have been a catering chef, meat cutter, and a working bakery manager. Shoulders, lower back and hip injuries leave me hurting after only a few minutes on my working.
So, now I work daily at spreading chaos, confusion, mayhem, and doubt. I cheerfully throw in a heap of panic at no extra charge.
If I have left somebody whining, crying, and twitching on the floor at the end of the day; I've had a Good Day.
:eek:ffwall:

Damn, 320 ft rotor? huge!

Most people are surprised at just how big these turbines are until they're up close.

And how far it looks to the ground when you're up top.

First time I went up I couldn't swallow my mouth was so dry, I got over it in time but always stayed tied off.

We lost 7 guys around us in the desert, not an industry to take chances.

That is awesome! You wouldn't believe the technology now. These things are pretty smart considering 1's and 0's control them. Did you ever hear about the boeing test turbines? They were installed right down the street from our current project back in the 70's and 80's.

Boeing: MOD-2/MOD-5B Wind Turbines

I do hope we're talking about the same Mike (not sure of his last name)

He had a windfarm next to the one I managed in Palm Springs, awesome guy!

We used to call him "The laughing Indian" get him laughing & it was contagious!

I heard he was up here Teaching?

That is definitely the same Mike. Last I heard, he was working near Woodward, OK as a Site Manager at the Centennial Wind Farm for Global Energy Services. For all I know, he might be with the same company.

Damn, 320 ft rotor? huge!

Most people are surprised at just how big these turbines are until they're up close.

And how far it looks to the ground when you're up top.

First time I went up I couldn't swallow my mouth was so dry, I got over it in time but always stayed tied off.

We lost 7 guys around us in the desert, not an industry to take chances.

After unloading a nacelle, I was given an opportunity to go on a climb at a nearby tower. Upon reaching the top and getting the view of the surrounding area, they asked if I wanted to go inside of the blade hub. I made the attempt. It was unsuccessful due to the fact that I had no freakin' idea how to actually contort my body to get into that tiny, confined space. I was happy to be back in the rig and on my way with the pilot crew to our next load assignment and hotel.

I am retired Army...I have done some of this and some of that...construction, carpentry, culinary, gunsmith...I putter. Just under 40 and have the back of a 70 year old...Lots of damage and scar tissue. Have some pretty bad days.

Have decided to go into business here in the near future in the manufacturing of firearms field. May have a restaurant and brewery on the side.

iam a structural steel erector," ironworker"24 years now,bad knees,bad back,bad shoulders? wow! i love my job!!! but i love my guns more...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top