JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got done reading this.

I knew it was happening, but some of the ones listed surprised me really. Mostly the candy.I don't really eat candy or buy candy outside of Halloween.

One I recently noticed was Tostitos chips. They recently came out with a thin "restaurant style" version. They were 12 ounce bags. Recently got some more, we like chips and salsa for snack time, and the bag went twice as fast. On closer observation, they changed it down to 9 ounces!

So, I started paying better attention the next time at the store. 3 different Tostitos chips, scoops 11oz, thick regular 10oz, this restaurant 9 oz. All $5 whichever you choose. It really shocked me as I usually don't pay much attention to weights.

Not anymore!

I tried an off brand which cost $1.99 and had 14 ounces. Just as good. Maybe a bit less salty, but the chips were good and I got more for less. That Fred Meyers (Cornelius) also makes their own tortillas so they sell day olds as tortilla chips for I think $2-4 for a giant 2 pound bag I want to say, didn't look to close but now I think I might.

So, what have you noticed shrink? Have you found a replacement? Switched to something else that is just as good?

The protein I buy used to come in 2lb jugs, I believe. Now it's 1.78lbs of contents in the same container. Since the containers were never full in the first place, like a bag of chips, you'd never notice if you didn't look. I want to say some things I bought in the 500ml range are at 475ml. The kick in the nuts about it is that not only has the quantity gone down, the price went up with it. Lame.

I guess I have noticed a broad, vague rise in the cost of the usual bag or two of groceries that I buy a few times per week. Plus the occasional "holy fook this is a 12 dollar pack of 5 hot dogs" type of realization.

The name brand half gallon of milk is no more. I would have never noticed except for a sign warning WIC shoppers that they could no longer buy it due to the carton being a few ounces smaller now. I have to wonder what the cost is to re do the plants for this crap.

My wife does most of the shopping. She's away this week, so I had to make a trip to the supermarket myself for the first time in a while. I really noticed the "shrinkflation" walking down the chips aisle, all the bags are so small. Great thing about capitalism, they can charge what they want, and I can exercise my right not to buy their overpriced crap.

You want to talk about shrinkflation!? Just LOOK at this insanity!

LOOK AT IT!

This is CHARMIN! They didn't just put less sheets on the stupid roll. They made the actual sheets smaller!

SMALLER!

There isn't a single person alive who EVER looked at a roll of toilet paper and said to themselves, "you know, it would be really awesome if they started making the sheets smaller!"

Now I enjoy getting a piece of bubblegum like the next guy but not when it's my own!

In the name of God and all that is holy, what type of SAVAGE would do this to toilet paper!?

CHARMIN! That's who!

This is absolute madness! :mad:

95nwVvF.jpg

LOOK AT IT!

This is CHARMIN! They didn't just put less sheets on the stupid roll. They made the actual sheets smaller!

SMALLER!

There isn't a single person alive who EVER looked at a roll of toilet paper and said to themselves, "you know, it would be really awesome if they started making the sheets smaller!"

Now I enjoy getting a piece of bubblegum like the next guy but not when it's my own!

In the name of God and all that is holy, what type of SAVAGE would do this to toilet paper!?

CHARMIN! That's who!

View attachment 1414060
In all honesty, if you need 2"-4" of TP on each side of your fingers when you wipe, you might need to consult a gastroenterologist.

On topic, I'm shocked at the prices of TP at grocery stores. Buying TP just by itself at Costco will pay for its membership in a year with savings.

Nothing better than a butt sprayer to avoid the TP blues.

View attachment 1414063
you don't know you need something until the internet shows you it.

LOOK AT IT!

SMALLER!

CHARMIN! That's who!

View attachment 1414060
Also, turn them on their side and look at the cardboard ring. Bet they one in the smaller roll is larger.

Last Edited:
Codeine you don't know you need something until the internet shows you it.
The friend who introduced me to the idea is a raging alky living in Asia. I can't say I have his level of intestinal distress, but it does leave my butt happier after some combination of sweaty yard work and bad burritos.

Cheese balls. The ones you typically have around the holidays, I'm not sure of the particulars but they look to be about half the size for a couple dollars more.

I like the occasional root beer float, but that's usually when the weather gets hotter so haven't had ice cream in the house for a while. Went to get some and realized that the ice cream container was actually smaller than before because of where we put it in the freezer.

One method to avoid shrinkflation is to buy in the bulk foods section by weight. A pound was still a pound last time I bought something there. Price per pound might go up but it will be easy to compare.

I wouldn't mind if the environmentalists got involved and began complaining about shrinkflation, because it uses more packaging material per (actual) pound of product.

Another benefit of generic brands, they usually don't have the budget to change package sizes. Most generics soldier on in the original sizes. I don't mind if the price goes up, I feel it's disingenuous to shrink something, as if we're not paying attention.

As well as have you noticed, that the holes in the pouring spouts ( trader Joes olive oil/ most dish soap etc etc) have gotten bigger so you pour more or faster, thus using more, we put every thing into squeeze bottles now.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top