JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like most everything, I'm doing my home defense all wrong. I have my trusty GP-100 in my nightstand for things the go bump in the night.
And my idea of home defense is my trusty 686 snubby with a crimson trace laser grip.

Do I feel undergunned? Nope. What about the .44s? Recreation.

Which reminds me. Once when I was a very young broad I gave my boyfriend a present of a snapping turtle. He really wanted one. And I found one about six inches long. Big for pet store.
And they can live longer than a human. I don't understand the appeal of a Snapping Turtle as a pet. I've had a few run-ins with them in the East and Midwest. Even the tiny babies have a bad attitude. They're born pissed off and ready to draw blood.

12ga shotgun with number 7 or 8 shot is probably the best for messing someone up vs. little overpenetration.

I live in the country and have no housemates/family here or close by neighbors, so I just use whatever really.

Depending on the room, AR15 pistol, AR10 pistol, Saiga w/#2 steel shot, or various 9mm pistols.

And once you start a thread, please hang around and participate. Nothing is more frustrating to responders than putting careful thought into a response and OP has dropped out and never responds, never thanks those who have been useful. If you don't care enough to participate, why should we? If you don't care enough to tell us more at the beginning its kinda wasting our time. We can either try to answer the question with so little info we are likely to be wasting our time or just give the question a pass. You don't even tell us whether you want a handgun, shotgun, or rifle. Or if a habdgun, whether it will be for home defense only, or also for concealed carry.

If you are taking a handgun course soon, and will have the opportunity to try many, it would be foolish to try to make decisions now. And it might be more useful asking specific questions you have after you have taken the course rather than asking such vague questions now. There are lots of good gun YouTube channels to give you an overview. Paul Harrell does an especially nice job.
It seems like lots of phishing for certain types of comments.. you hit the nail on the head

No thanks...

"Birdshot offers inadequate penetration and intermediate barrier capability and has no place for LE use."

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4340-12-gauge-shotgun-loads-for-LE-duty-use

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Weapons that work best for law enforcement applications are not going to be the same for civilians defending their homes.

If you live in the suburbs and have houses close by, or in an apartment with paper thin walls and 15 units next to yours, you have to consider using a round that is going to have very little penetration.

"Birdshot offers inadequate penetration and intermediate barrier capability" that's kind of the effing point when you live in dense housing and don't want lawsuits from your neighbor or accidentally shooting your newborn in a wild gunfight that's in the next room over.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Weapons that work best for law enforcement applications are not going to be the same for civilians defending their homes.

If you live in the suburbs and have houses close by, or in an apartment with paper thin walls and 15 units next to yours, you have to consider using a round that is going to have very little penetration.

"Birdshot offers inadequate penetration and intermediate barrier capability" that's kind of the effing point when you live in dense housing and don't want lawsuits from your neighbor or accidentally shooting your newborn in a wild gunfight that's in the next room over.
Seen too many doctor's reports and not enough coroner's to even consider it. This is not going to stop someone intent on doing you harm or if hopped up on dope and it is liable to get you killed. Stopping the threat with a decisive shot will prevent a "wild gunfight". I'll stick with real ammo intended to stop fairly large, aggressive mammals feel free to use that which was designed for birds if you wish, but no legit firearms trainer would advocate using birdshot for self defense.

Shot with birdshot.jpg

Last Edited:
Seen too many doctor's reports and not enough coroner's to even consider it. This is not going to stop someone intent on doing you harm or if hopped up on dope and it is liable to get you killed. Stopping the threat with a decisive shot will prevent a "wild gunfight". I'll stick with real ammo intended to stop fairly large, aggressive mammals feel free to use that which was designed for birds if you wish, but no legit firearms trainer would advocate using birdshot for self defense.

View attachment 1086106
Dude. Look at the pattern of that birdshot. That had to have been fired from a sawed off shotgun at 50 yards lol.

Watch this one to see patterning of shotguns at different yards. St the end, he shoots #6 birdshot at 7 yards with only a single round and shows you the severe damage caused to his meat target. Just as much damage (if not more) than a 9mm with none of the risk of over penetration.

Then imagine shooting 2-5 rounds of birdshot from a semiauto at that distance and how absolutely destroyed the target would be.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top