JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If going for an SKS the only ones that would fit the max barrel length would be the ones like the Norinco paratrooper. Or one that's been bubba'd already.

Otherwise they're at least going to have a 20" barrel.

One could slowly build a .300 BLK pistol. May cost more in the long run but it would be a good truck gun.

12ga Shotgun IMO.

Hard to find a mag fed one but the pumps load quickly.

Can get really cheap ones all the time and shoot any load you want - defense or whatever...

If it has a long barrel, cut it to whatever you want.

The older ones are tanks and perfect for a truck gun.

Just my 2¢.

For the requirements I'd lean toward lever action in .357 or .44Mag. Thin, good capacity, good ammo selection and availability, easy to shoot, easy to operate. Compact. You could, if so inclined, keep a good wheel gun as a companion to it. Perfect truck, ranch, or field combination.

It doesn't meet your capacity requirements but it's been a fine truck gun for me. Savage model 24. Mine is 22 mag over 20g and I got it used in great shape from a member for $360. They make them in other caliber options but when you get to 30-30 over 12g, expect to pay $800 and up.

My .02 :D

So the most likely need for this truck gun aside from hiway men and dispatching a wounded critter on the side of the road. Would be something to carry while trying to get home after or during some sort of Natural event (man made events give plenty of warning for the most part)

I live in Silverton I park either south of Stayton (rarely) or SE Salem I work all over the valley driving dump truck. I can range from Eugene to Portland even out to Beaverton and beyond. And we work as far East as Santiam Junction so a few thousand square miles. I can not be armed in the dump truck PERIOD.

So the Get home thing would be from where I park the dump truck (unless I would chose to take it home) 16 miles by road or about 15 walking cross country. This is open farm country once I am a mile away from where I park. So threats are going to be at a distance for the most part. Rifle distance

I have 3 creeks or small rivers to cross on the way. the first I have the ability if need be to drive around the creek other wise there are 3 short very stout bridges to chose from. The one river has 5 bridges to chose from in various lengths and construction as well as taking a round about way completely around it (but this adds in another fast moving creek that without a bridge would be very difficult to drive across) And then the last creek which I would have the ability to travel around (but not if I have to travel around either of the first two) or I have 3 cement bridges and a solid steel railroad bridge and all those otions are with a 1/2 mile of the house.

Oh and while the suggestions for an AR or AK or Hi Point are valid I just don't do Black rifles.
I still think you should look at a Ruger American in 300 blk or 5.56x45. even with a 9-12 power on it, you won't feel the weight.

After reading your description of possible what if scenarios, why don't you entertain the idea of a 10/22 breakdown? It comes with a pack or you could put it in a pack of your choice. Load up a few 25 rounders, emergency supplies... Basically put the gun in a bug out bag with your needs in mind. We don't have very dangerous animals in Oregon. It's not like you're going to have to hike to get home in brown bear or moose territory. A 22lr under 100 yards is more than enough of a deterrent with 25 rounds.

Well If I were to go with a .22 I have that already I have a 1906 Winchester pump that is so beat up it looks like someone used it to scree off concrete slabs for a few years but the bores usable and It will easily hit a pop can at 100 yards. It takes down at the back of the receiver with a single thumb screw holds 15 .22LR and I think 21 or 22 .22short. weighs about 3.5 lbs I would guess.

Oh and while the suggestions for an AR or AK or Hi Point are valid I just don't do Black rifles.

Well, I don't know. An SKS is not a black rifle. Or maybe a used Garand, M1 Carbine etc, but I don't know if those are inside your price point. And a bolt action usually doesn't carry enough ammo.

It seems you are going to need to compromise on something unless you can find a lever action that will suit you.

The one thing in your thinking that I have doubts about is the need to shoot 200yds while trying to walk/drive home. I understand the open area, but???? Maybe you could write about that some more?

An SKS is not a black rifle. Or maybe a used Garand, M1 Carbine etc, but I don't know if those are inside your price point. And a bolt action usually doesn't carry enough ammo.
The M1 carbine is the only one you listed that meets his barrel length requirement (no more than 18").

Except the paratrooper SKSs, and the other ones with a shorter barrel. But I don't know how much those go for.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top