JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got nearly 2000 9mm/147's done today, gotta finish those. Then load 2000 124's, then 2000 9mm 125 hard cast conicals, then I have a thousand each of 147 and 115 HP's on the way this week. Then I have 1500 .380 ball to load as well as 500 HP's. Then I have a thousand each of 158's and 125's .38 Special HP's to do. Then I have another seven hundred or so .45 ACP's to load in 185 grain flat point and about another hundred 185 grain XTP's. Then I have some .44 Specials to catch up on with virgin brass coming from Starline.

Once I get all the above loaded and packaged, I have a run of .223's to do, which starts with processing brass, i.e. cleaning, sizing, trimming, chamfering, cleaning again, then loading. Those will all be 55 grain ball. If I have time at the end of this next ten days, I also have some 77 grain Sierra's I can load.

Gonna be busy...

I painstakingly crafted another 100 rounds of 9mm using virgin Starline brass, 124gr Hornady XTPs, CCI spp primers, and 5.4gr of Ramshot Silhouette. Loaded to OAL of 1.080 specifically tailored for my G19 Gen 5, which has the shorter throat the early Gen 5s came with. All on a Lee single stage press.

I'll trade a Gen 4 G23 for them, or a Beretta APX Centurion in .40 S&W... :D

IMG_20200831_014419424.jpg

I've been making a bunch of 147gr 9mm subs with Shooters world Cleanshot. Noticeably more quiet than titegroup. Haven't shot enough of it to gauge soot or smoke.

Should finally get a chance to test out some 125gr Speer TNT loads in the 300blk and a few different 70-77gr 223 loads this weekend.... if I don't get out to test and refine my loads often enough, then I run out of things to load, and that's no fun.

@turbo_vanner , what kind of powder loads and velocities are you getting with the cleanshot? I need to work up some faster loads for 9mm 147 and 125 bullets, and see if it gets the Sig a bit more accurate. I've been generally loading 9 to a 135 ish power factor, and the advice I'm getting from people is to go a bit hotter to tighten the groups up.

Found a couple of more pounds of the HS-6, and took the gamble on some internet research that indicated my 250 grain .45acp rounds would be safe at the same 7.1 grain load. Range tested, and yep, they are just what I needed for bowling pins. 2 1/4" group at 13 yards, and a power factor just under 200. Recoil is a bit more, but definitely manageable. Loaded those until I ran out of ready brass, polished off the first box of 500 250 grain slugs. Processed through all the "bulge busted" .45 I had, guessing just a little over a thousand, which now just needs a final wash and primers. And then it's back to bulge-busting, yech. Maybe I'd better save up for a roll-sizer.

@turbo_vanner , what kind of powder loads and velocities are you getting with the cleanshot? I need to work up some faster loads for 9mm 147 and 125 bullets, and see if it gets the Sig a bit more accurate. I've been generally loading 9 to a 135 ish power factor, and the advice I'm getting from people is to go a bit hotter to tighten the groups up.

Found a couple of more pounds of the HS-6, and took the gamble on some internet research that indicated my 250 grain .45acp rounds would be safe at the same 7.1 grain load. Range tested, and yep, they are just what I needed for bowling pins. 2 1/4" group at 13 yards, and a power factor just under 200. Recoil is a bit more, but definitely manageable. Loaded those until I ran out of ready brass, polished off the first box of 500 250 grain slugs. Processed through all the "bulge busted" .45 I had, guessing just a little over a thousand, which now just needs a final wash and primers. And then it's back to bulge-busting, yech. Maybe I'd better save up for a roll-sizer.

I tested up to 3.6gr of cleanshot, with coated flat nose 147gr pills at 1.115" OAL. They just barely got up to 900 fps, with no pressure signs. Thats about 132, but shooters world data lists a max charge for a 147 Hornady XTP as 3.7gr/910fps. I have tentatively settled on 3.3-3.4gr, 850-860fps for plinking since I just run these through a can for fun.

Its supposedly very similar to AA#2 and titegroup, so the velocity will be relatively limited.

I really like the powder so far, and have some of their 'match' rifle powder loaded up behind some 75 and 77gr OTMs in .223 and 150gr fmj in .308. Also a little cheaper and usually in stock more often than the popular IMR and Hodgdon stuff.

I reloaded a nice batch of Steel cased 7.62x39, and finally found a loading of H322 that cut my groups in half. I have finally found a process that converts steel cases to boxer primers with a yield of almost 100%, and they have produced some of the best groups ever.

That 500 runs me about 27.00 with my coated cast bullet not that big a difference until you shoot a couple thousand a month.

I have 1500 small pistol primers in tubes waiting for me to load the rest of this months Match ammo (141gr cast at 1025 fps) later today.
Yes...I have calculated that the cost savings in reloading more than pays for my gas to get to the range.:s0083:

Priming a whole lot of .45 acp tonight, after installing the new Hogue "big butt" grips and an extended cylinder release. Getting ready for the EPS match this Saturday, and pins on Thursday.
I tested up to 3.6gr of cleanshot, with coated flat nose 147gr pills at 1.115" OAL. They just barely got up to 900 fps, with no pressure signs. Thats about 132, but shooters world data lists a max charge for a 147 Hornady XTP as 3.7gr/910fps.

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to try some other powders, my research on accuracy for the Sig P320 X5 is indicating that they are capable of 1.25" groups at gamer distances, but they prefer 115 or 124 grain slugs running pretty fast, like around 1100 fps. I'd love to get hold of some Sport Pistol, But I may be able to get what I need with HS-6.

Is this a good group? 130g gmx with 49g of imr 4064 ...

View attachment 738180
I like how you simplified the racks by using long box-nails instead of drilling out every hole for dowels. I may steal that idea!

I have been sitting on the couch decapping and sizing MILSURP .308 cases with my Lee hand press....

View attachment 736394

I dropped a shell into the couch cushions and I refused to stop until I found it.....

View attachment 736393

After all that, I wound up finding it in the front pocket of my T-shirt.... :rolleyes:

;):D
:confused:Sounds familiar...must be the dreaded "reloaders obsessive compulsive syndrome."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top