JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How about what did I unload today. Last night, kneeling on a knee scooter resulting from foot surgery. I'm letting go of my two .38 Super Colt pistols, the ammo has to go. I'm breaking down the reloads into components.

Put together 62 total rounds start to finish.

20x 175gr Tipped SMK .308 with reloder 15
20x 142gr SMK 6.5 creedmoor also with reloder 15
22x 350gr round nose 458 Socom with LIL' Gun

Pretty easy to work through the batch with 100% QC.

337F74A9-714F-4660-9D1A-7F26DF7CA17B.jpeg
08CDC605-AAB6-49C9-A72B-B3D0748BFC76.jpeg
296AE251-0248-49FA-B9C3-35219DE643A8.jpeg

No pics but I loaded (60) 178 gr ELD-M 308 for my bolt gun and started on some 140 gr ELD-M 6.5 CM. I have about 200 empty 6.5 brass and got about 1/4 of them done. Too cold to shoot this weekend (probably) so I will finish them up tomorrow.

Got tired of shooting then reloading the same 150 pieces of .38 per week..
Just cleaned around four gallons of 9mm brass and am gonna see if my basketball size pail of Lee 102's will take care of those.
I'll just peck away at it.. 1-2 hours a day or whatever. I've got a full .50 can of em to plink on that's just been lying around for years.. then I'll load those and add them to the aforementioned pile.

Got tired of shooting then reloading the same 150 pieces of .38 per week..
Just cleaned around four gallons of 9mm brass and am gonna see if my basketball size pail of Lee 102's will take care of those.
I'll just peck away at it.. 1-2 hours a day or whatever. I've got a full .50 can of em to plink on that's just been lying around for years.. then I'll load those and add them to the aforementioned pile.
It beats standing in line. You should be able to make those 102s work:p. Maybe even with your favorite powder;). I'm getting low on projectiles. Going to have to fire up the pot soon.

Over the weekend I did up 200 rounds of 150gr .308 fmjs and 200 55gr sinterfire frangibles in .223 for up close steel blasting.

Also narrowing down ladder tests for 178gr and 73gr ELD-M as well as 68gr bthp in 308 and 223. Really trying to whip my long range ARs into shape. Hopefully the 178s will get me to 1000 yards. I was getting about 2525fps out of an 18" barrel with the most accurate load so far, unfortunately it was about 1.3" and I think I can do better.

Not reloading, just, "Casting", a slug of round balls and 310 gr. bullets, (it's a double mold).

I'm getting low on unhardened lead, I may have to melt down some more SCUBA weights. :eek:

Last Edited:
How about what did I unload today. Last night, kneeling on a knee scooter resulting from foot surgery. I'm letting go of my two .38 Super Colt pistols, the ammo has to go. I'm breaking down the reloads into components.

Since this post, I've broken down 400 plus .38 Super rounds and recovered the components. I've re-reloaded all the bullets into 9mm Luger cases. The powder was salvaged and returned to original container. I used a different powder in the 9mm Luger (WW 244). All 400 small pistol primers were wasted. I've reused decapped live primers successfully before but I couldn't get satisfactory seating tension in the majority of these. I don't like loose primers. Better to scrap them than risk problems later. Defective live primers go into a jar of oil to desensitize them, then go into the brass scrap metal for recycling.

WW 244 powder is a fairly new product. I've used it in a few loadings now and like it. It calls for relatively small charges, which is a plus with 9mm Luger. I've used it experimentally in .32-20 and found it to be fairly insensitive to position. Which is an issue with .32-20 what with a long, narrow case.

I used a Hornady collet bullet puller to take most of these apart. The collet puller surely reduces the amount of work involved. I had 50 rounds of a conical bullet that wouldn't allow enough purchase to use the collet puller; these I had to use the kinetic puller on.

a brave man.

The reloading books all tell you not to do this. But I've been doing this as necessary for nigh on 40 years and never had one go off. The key is to do it gently. I had one go off that got stuck sideways from using a Lee Bench Auto Prime, then I tried to pry it out with a small screwdriver. It snapped but there was no harm. When they are being decapped in a press, even if one goes off, it only blows its limited charge up into the decapping die, then back down. It's not blowing at you. Just my take on the practice.

I suppose there might be some danger, depending upon the design of the press, of a chain detonation of an accumulation of primers nearby. Meaning in the decapped primer cup. I use a Lee Classic Cast press; the decapped primers have a long drop through a clear plastic tube so I don't see any hazard with the use of this design.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top