JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reloaded about 200 rounds of 38 special, starting charge if 3.6grn Win 244. Bullet is a 160gr deep HP mold from MP bullet molds. Sinbad Purple powdercoat from Prismatic Powders.

20230502_011537.jpg 20230502_011515.jpg

Last Edited:
Trimmed/chamfered (450) 300blk cases today. Started on a manual trimmer and quickly moved to the motorized RCBS trim pro with 3 way cutter. Very interesting to see the variations on the inside of the case necks. I had the length set but ran everything through it regardless, so even short cases had a degree of chamfer and debur.

View attachment 1415136 View attachment 1415137 View attachment 1415138 View attachment 1415139
Looking at your chamfer I think you might be overdoing it? I don't see any reason to take that much brass off. All I aim to do in chamfering is to square the top of the shell off. And only remove what peels over during the trimming process. I could see more of a taper on the inside if one is loading flat base bullets.

Or, it doesn't matter one dang bit?

Internal brass removal isn't adjustable on the 3 way cutter. But it shows the difference in thickness variation on these converted 223 to 300blk cases. Some cases remove no material internally and others get reamed out.

External chamfer is adjustable and may seem more dramatic due to the zoom on the photo.

Photo is from my 150grn plinker load at 50yrds while testing OAL and powder charge variables.

Screenshot_20230418_140736_Gallery.jpg

Internal brass removal isn't adjustable on the 3 way cutter. But it shows the difference in thickness variation on these converted 223 to 300blk cases. Some cases remove no material internally and others get reamed out.

External chamfer is adjustable and may seem more dramatic due to the zoom on the photo.

Photo is from my 150grn plinker load at 50yrds while testing OAL and powder charge variables.

View attachment 1415372
Is that the final trim to spec on that converted brass?

I was thinking of my own brass. I want brass to last forever, so it looks funny to ME, to see so much brass being ground off if it's not necessary. But .300 BLK isn't anything I'm real familiar with.

Loaded up a ladder test for some 223. 55gr fmj and H335. Man the powder levels are all over the place for that combo with Hornady being much lower than hodgdon and Sierra.

Loaded some 9mm to test 124 gem bullets and trying 3.6 gn and 3.8 gn csb5. Never tried it in 9mm but I have 25lbs of it and it is great in 12ga and 38 special so I am giving it a try. Anyone have experience with it?

That's why I ditched the guide trimmers and went with Giraud tri-way for 223/556 & 300BLK, I can adjust them easily.
Is the Giraud really worth the expense? For 300 blackout i am using a homemade poly trimmer with a carbide cutter but only gets length, still have to deburr. We go through over 3000 a year so if it saves enough time to justify the cost I will gladly give it a try. I did try a Forster product several years ago I picked up at a Houston gun show that advertised do all in one step and it didn't always deburr well and most cases had to be gone back over.

I am a NOE mold fan but have been looking at the MP mold. How do you like it overall?

The sheer value you get from MP molds is nuts. The brass casts sweet, much easier (for me), than aluminum mold casting. It maintains/holds its heat easier. Also, with the HP molds, you get all sorts of inserts to change them to different hp types, and even plugs/inserts to cast non hp boolits. They are made in Slovenia, but I got mine in about 5 days. My guess is that they can make them so cheap due to the exchange rate. Keep an eye on thier molds. If they are out of stock, thet will make more, just takes a frw weeks/months. They will ship in a nlank box, witj Slovenian newspapers as padding, no instructions, and parrs in a zip lock bag, but ill take it since it keeps costs down!

lI have 2 NOE molds, and they are great. My only regret is that I got the 5 cav Aluminum molds, and they are pretty tough to keep hot enough. 2 is my go-to if at all possible now. But thats true from any nanufacturer. I do really like the NOE sizing die bushing system, thats my go to sizing tool, a really smart, cheap system to experiment with.

I am a NOE mold fan but have been looking at the MP mold. How do you like it overall?
Ive only cast once with mine, but I had zero issues with fill out/temps. I did have a bur on my sprue plate, but nothing too bad. The brass can be a little heavy, but better than aluminum, and cheaper/less prone to oxidation/rusting than steel.

Is the Giraud really worth the expense? For 300 blackout i am using a homemade poly trimmer with a carbide cutter but only gets length, still have to deburr. We go through over 3000 a year so if it saves enough time to justify the cost I will gladly give it a try. I did try a Forster product several years ago I picked up at a Houston gun show that advertised do all in one step and it didn't always deburr well and most cases had to be gone back over.
I think it is but I prep 500-1,000 at a time, good enough for me. One time touching for trimming, champher and deburing.

Ive only cast once with mine, but I had zero issues with fill out/temps. I did have a bur on my sprue plate, but nothing too bad. The brass can be a little heavy, but better than aluminum, and cheaper/less prone to oxidation/rusting than steel.
Thank you for your time and knowledge. Just ordered a 358-429 Keith (360), HP Plain Base 4 Cav. Mold No Lube Groove. Been unsure about this vs NOE for a couple months now but I think it's worth a try at half the price.

Thank you for your time and knowledge. Just ordered a 358-429 Keith (360), HP Plain Base 4 Cav. Mold No Lube Groove. Been unsure about this vs NOE for a couple months now but I think it's worth a try at half the price.

Nice! Goodluck! They truely are pretty slick. You will likely find that you need to run your alloy a little hot to get propper fill out with the brass. You may already know this, but in that 4 cav especially, rotate the side you start pouring from... back to front, front to back, bact to front, etc. This helps to not let the "far-away" cavities to stay hot. The pin design is cool on the MPs in that if they get a little stuck, you can tap the outside of the mold where their pins penetrate the block. Pins then slide a little in the blocks which helps free up any stuck boolits. Cast away!

received_966966798070915.jpeg

I've got the 125gr TC 38 Specials done and now working on the 158gr SWC 357 Mags. Next up is the 180gr TC 357's. After that I'll switch over to the big press for a run of 125gr 9mm plated that I got from Extreme Bullets. On deck is 32 H&R, 45-70, 41 Mag, 10mm and 45 Colt.

500 45-70 cast rounds.
100 30-30 cast rounds
100 30.06 cast rounds
100 300 savage cast rounds
100 35 Remington cast rounds
And 50 6.5x57 rounds
And a boat load of cast 9mm and 45acp
I need to go shooting soon so

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class