JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I loaded after consulting my three sources. Little or no primer flattening. Looking now again at Lyman 49th it shows 21-22 gr H110. With 22gr being a compacted load!
Light bullets and slow magnum powder in a revolver makes impress your friends fire balls. Thats what I mean by hot rod load, kind of like nitro fueled funny cars do on the drag strip.

I normally load 147gr for my 9mm Glocks. I recently built a PCC that takes Glock mags with LRBHO. However, with the bunny fart loads that I usually make for the Glocks, the LRBHO is not functioning as I like. So I need to make a somewhat hotter load with a different bullet.

Any recommendations? I have Titegroup, CFE Pistol, and Winchester 244 to chose from.

Light bullets and slow magnum powder in a revolver makes impress your friends fire balls. Thats what I mean by hot rod load, kind of like nitro fueled funny cars do on the drag strip.
I've never really been a "magnum' kind of guy. Definitely not in hand gun. But I picked up a bunch of H110 to load .39 Carbine. I had that lever gun that I'd only ran some .38 sp in, and a few factory rounds of .357 mag I'd picked up some years ago. I just thought WTH!
A question, would I be looking at the same results with 2400? I picked up an old CAN of it. For the can. But the powder appears to be fine.

I normally load 147gr for my 9mm Glocks. I recently built a PCC that takes Glock mags with LRBHO. However, with the bunny fart loads that I usually make for the Glocks, the LRBHO is not functioning as I like. So I need to make a somewhat hotter load with a different bullet.

Any recommendations? I have Titegroup, CFE Pistol, and Winchester 244 to chose from.
LRBHO? Am I just dense?

I would go for a slower powder if shooting in a longer barrel. Slower powder more appropriate for heavier bullets is my thinking. I should think that 244 would work fine.

I've never really been a "magnum' kind of guy. Definitely not in hand gun. But I picked up a bunch of H110 to load .39 Carbine. I had that lever gun that I'd only ran some .38 sp in, and a few factory rounds of .357 mag I'd picked up some years ago. I just thought WTH!
A question, would I be looking at the same results with 2400? I picked up an old CAN of it. For the can. But the powder appears to be fine.
I've not used 2400 but it is a recommended as a powder of choice for magnums in general so should be fine.

LRBHO? Am I just dense?

I would go for a slower powder if shooting in a longer barrel. Slower powder more appropriate for heavier bullets is my thinking. I should think that 244 would work fine.
Yep, it's Last Round Bolt Hold Open. Works the same as an AR where the bolt moves to the rear and is held open when the magazine is empty. The loads that I am running are not strong enough to push the bolt all the way to the back to the bolt catch. A couple will, but most wont.

I have a bunch of factory 115gr that I will try out which should work OK.

Yep, it's Last Round Bolt Hold Open. Works the same as an AR where the bolt moves to the rear and is held open when the magazine is empty. The loads that I am running are not strong enough to push the bolt all the way to the back to the bolt catch. A couple will, but most wont.

I have a bunch of factory 115gr that I will try out which should work OK.
That 244 would probably have a wider powder weight range. That's why I have moved toward such powders.

Ran a batch of 357 this evening. They were my first run using Xtreme copper plated 158's. I used H110 and was planning on running them through my lever gun, but now I'm thinking the velocity might be too high for the bullet.
I am not a fan of plated.
Although .357 Mag in a lever gun can be a lot of fun. I have had a couple of lever action carbines and really like them but cocking them kills my hands so I have no more. It is a caliber that increases velocity a bunch out of a 16 inch barrel.

Notes on the target say BCA, is this a Bear Creek upper and barrel? That is impressive for just about any AR platform.
Confirmation enough for me….. duplicate 1" at 200 yrds. 2" shoot-n-see stickers
- red bottom plate 1" 4 shots
- purple just to zero 200 yrds from here on out
- ignore the greens…. One on top plate was sloppy and I don't know WTF I was doing on the middle of the board…. Speed sniper day dream I guess.

6FCE6AE9-ADBD-402B-A74D-B68A8A89CDC0.jpeg

I just a month or so ago loaded/shot my first full power .357 mag using 20 grains even H-110. I'll tell ya', it's a pretty stout load! I don't have a chrono but recoil was stout in a 6" S&W model 19. Also shot them in a Winchester AE lever gun. I'm using Montana Gold 125 gr brass jacketed HPs. I'm thinking you might be pushing it with plated bullets? Not sure how you would tell? Set up a sheet of paper, say 15' from the muzzle, and see if there is a single hole or peppering from the jacket coming off?
I did a ladder test when I got my first revolver. I noticed that 21g of H-110 (W-296) was the high load and I only shot ONE and pulled the rest.
If I'm using titegroup, I like 4g over 158's for comfort with good accuracy.

I did a ladder test when I got my first revolver. I noticed that 21g of H-110 (W-296) was the high load and I only shot ONE and pulled the rest.
If I'm using titegroup, I like 4g over 158's for comfort with good accuracy.
As I alluded to above. I'm not a magnum shooter from hand guns. But that lever rifle? Different animal and fun to shoot with the "Big-Bangs". :D Makes a much better sound combo when shooting steel! And it costs pennies on the dollar when you're loading with supplies you bought years ago. Win Win Win!!

Confirmation enough for me….. duplicate 1" at 200 yrds. 2" shoot-n-see stickers
- red bottom plate 1" 4 shots
- purple just to zero 200 yrds from here on out
- ignore the greens…. One on top plate was sloppy and I don't know WTF I was doing on the middle of the board…. Speed sniper day dream I guess.

View attachment 1405261
Those are good groups, looks like some of my 50 yard groups but you are shooting four times as far.

As I alluded to above. I'm not a magnum shooter from hand guns. But that lever rifle? Different animal and fun to shoot with the "Big-Bangs". :D Makes a much better sound combo when shooting steel! And it costs pennies on the dollar when you're loading with supplies you bought years ago. Win Win Win!!
Since I'm not in the "Cool kid Club" with a lever gun in a pistol caliber, I can only fantasize about that. :)

I loaded up 100 .45 Colt for my new '92 Rossi carbine. Pre-safety and SS, she shoots well. 7 gr. of 231 under an Oregon Trail 250 gr. LRNFP.

If anybody has a favorite load for this gun, let me know. I wouldn't mind hitting 1100 FPS.

I loaded 200 38special +P with 158gn bullets and 3gn Nitro 100nf. This is a good load in a supressed lever gun. Going to load some of these with CSB-5 to try out. Looking for quiet, accurate and 900-1050 fps. Any suggestions on a tried and proven load?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top