JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I loaded up 100 .45 Colt for my new '92 Rossi carbine. Pre-safety and SS, she shoots well. 7 gr. of 231 under an Oregon Trail 250 gr. LRNFP.

If anybody has a favorite load for this gun, let me know. I wouldn't mind hitting 1100 FPS.
We have that identical gun! Well, got it for wifey. We have the safety, on top of the slide. I've tried several loads for it and was disappointed in all the blow-by filthing up the brass and chamber. But then 200g coated bullets may be light according to some. Last load was pretty good using 8.5gr Win-clean 244.
Also tried before...
Unique at 8.0gr was real dirty.
HP-38/W231 at 6.7/7.2 seemed dirty too.
Also tried a few 250 gr moly coated that I had laying around, with 10.0gr HS-6.
I think the 244 was cleanest and hit pretty good at 50 yards.

Hell, I can't even see clearly that far away… :oops:
I feel ya' there. IF, I ever got a chance to come up there and shoot with you I'd bring my newest toy for you to play with...

1681666010780.jpeg

1681666062474.jpeg
That was just short of 100 yards. Center target was adjustment of the scope. Both left, and top right targets were the best. Not sure what happened on bottom right.

I feel ya' there. IF, I ever got a chance to come up there and shoot with you I'd bring my newest toy for you to play with...

View attachment 1405292

View attachment 1405293
That was just short of 100 yards. Center target was adjustment of the scope. Both left, and top right targets were the best. Not sure what happened on bottom right.
Nice looking rifle, what caliber?
Too funny, I was getting those groups with my new 20 inch build and then the last group absolutely sucked. It was like the scope loosened up but I double checked and it did not.
I was able to ring steel at 185 yards during the first session though, I was stoked.

I just a month or so ago loaded/shot my first full power .357 mag using 20 grains even H-110. I'll tell ya', it's a pretty stout load! I don't have a chrono but recoil was stout in a 6" S&W model 19. Also shot them in a Winchester AE lever gun. I'm using Montana Gold 125 gr brass jacketed HPs. I'm thinking you might be pushing it with plated bullets? Not sure how you would tell? Set up a sheet of paper, say 15' from the muzzle, and see if there is a single hole or peppering from the jacket coming off?
Just a word of caution, my best friend had a beautiful Model 19 that he loaded up some full power 125 gr JHP's with H-110 and managed to crack the forcing cone of the barrel in just a few hundred rounds. If you want it to last, it is recommended that you stick with lighter loads with the lightweight bullets and if you want magnum loads, that the 158 gr jacketed bullets are actually easier on the barrel. The newer Model 19's are supposedly tougher, but then they have the awful "Hillary Hole" on the side of the frame. 🤮

Nice looking rifle, what caliber?
Too funny, I was getting those groups with my new 20 inch build and then the last group absolutely sucked. It was like the scope loosened up but I double checked and it did not.
I was able to ring steel at 185 yards during the first session though, I was stoked.
That's one of my two Swedish Mausers in 6.5 X 55 Swede. That one is a 1917 model 96 that showed some pretty good accuracy at the 50-60 yards I usually shoot without a scope. I got a great deal on base, rings and the Vortex Scout LER scope from a gentleman on gunboards.

Love that steel! I would really like to try more distance with this. The range we visit when were on vaca down in Florence has a 300 yard gong. Jane was hitting that some with her scoped AR.

Just a word of caution, my best friend had a beautiful Model 19 that he loaded up some full power 125 gr JHP's with H-110 and managed to crack the forcing cone of the barrel in just a few hundred rounds. If you want it to last, it is recommended that you stick with lighter loads with the lightweight bullets and if you want magnum loads, that the 158 gr jacketed bullets are actually easier on the barrel. The newer Model 19's are supposedly tougher, but then they have the awful "Hillary Hole" on the side of the frame. 🤮
Ah yes. I knew that but didn't even think about it when I took the M19 that day. Glad I'm not a magnum hand gun fan, I only put two cylinders through it. I should have taken the 6" 686 instead.

I'm going to start the week off with 30 Carbine, then switch over to 38 S&W (not 38 Special). I'll need to shoot some of the 38 S&W in my new to me Webley 38/200 War Finished break top revolver you know for quality assurance and product development. I know tough job, but somebody's got to do it. Might even turn into a gun day fun day as long as I have to go to the range anyway.

I'm going to start the week off with 30 Carbine, then switch over to 38 S&W (not 38 Special). I'll need to shoot some of the 38 S&W in my new to me Webley 38/200 War Finished break top revolver you know for quality assurance and product development. I know tough job, but somebody's got to do it. Might even turn into a gun day fun day as long as I have to go to the range anyway.
Hey Mike,

Have you ever loaded low-recoil .38 spl ? I think Magtech makes some, but I have been unable to locate any. I am hoping to introduce my 2 Nieces to shooting (revolver) and was thinking the low recoil would be a nice intro for them before working up.

Hey Mike,

Have you ever loaded low-recoil .38 spl ? I think Magtech makes some, but I have been unable to locate any. I am hoping to introduce my 2 Nieces to shooting (revolver) and was thinking the low recoil would be a nice intro for them before working up.
I do make a light 105gr bullet load that runs about 700 fps for the cowboy action shooters. For comparison my standard 125gr bullet load is about 900fps.

A friend gave me about 400 rds. of 9mm that he bought on line. Truly awful ammo. About half had bulged cases, the ones that would chamber were either hot enough to show pressure signs, or so weak they wouldn't cycle.
I got out the collet puller, pulled all the bullets, dumped the powder and ran the still-primed cases through the sizing die with the decapper rod removed, checked the result with a Wilson case gauge. good to go, so I reloaded them with my usual load of Titegroup.
It's raining, so using 3 or 4 hours with soothing music and an adult beverage at the end of the session was a nice bit of time taken.

I do make a light 105gr bullet load that runs about 700 fps for the cowboy action shooters. For comparison my standard 125gr bullet load is about 900fps.
Ive used that same load when my son was learning to shoot my S&W model 66. It's a very easy, soft shooting load, almost like shooting a .22.

Loaded up some 148 grain coated DEWC from T&B bullets in 38 Special over AA#2 until I used up the primers left in the Dillon 550 on the last loading session.

565FBE86-3FF2-4C92-93D3-143EAE83B221.jpeg

Then I switched the 550 over to large primer, and 44 magnum. Loaded some 240 grain plated HPs, and some 240 grain coated Gallant SWCs over Unique.

A0DC0B36-B4C0-41EA-B435-86B385607383.jpeg

Finally get to put an entry in the "What did you load today" thread. Been loading stuff just haven't taken a picture.

Loaded 40 little 6.5 X 55 soldiers. 37 grains of IMR 4064 with 123 grain Nosler HPBT bullets. The only difference in each 20 is I tried my hand at annealing.

1682029281575.jpeg

1682029319031.jpeg

I'd read that Sellier & Bellot brass was prone to splitting fairly quickly, some said on second firing. So decided to experiment with annealing. Once fired, 20 straight and 20 annealed. I'll see what happens.

Finally get to put an entry in the "What did you load today" thread. Been loading stuff just haven't taken a picture.

Loaded 40 little 6.5 X 55 soldiers. 37 grains of IMR 4064 with 123 grain Nosler HPBT bullets. The only difference in each 20 is I tried my hand at annealing.

View attachment 1408254

View attachment 1408255

I'd read that Sellier & Bellot brass was prone to splitting fairly quickly, some said on second firing. So decided to experiment with annealing. Once fired, 20 straight and 20 annealed. I'll see what happens.

SuhWeet Mike!

What kind of groups do you get with that? Or maybe you don't know yet. If so, when you do, plz post!

View attachment 1408254

View attachment 1408255

I've never tried annealing. What did you use for that process?

SuhWeet Mike!

What kind of groups do you get with that? Or maybe you don't know yet. If so, when you do, plz post!
Post #4424 has the target Of this load with 120 gr HPBT nosler bullets
I've never tried annealing. What did you use for that process?
Here is a thread on annealing from member @Lilhigbee. It explains what people have used and gone through to do this, successfully apparently!
Post 29 has a short vid. It's basically how I did it but I dropped the long case in the drill with the chuck close to wide open, and didn't bother with a water quench. I watched his video after I'd annealed 20 pieces and noted that he had decided 10 seconds was best for him to get the color/pattern he was looking for.
This isn't an accuracy experiment, it't to see if the, supposed poorer quality S&B, brass will be helped by annealing. What Lilhigbee did to that brass was some pretty serious working, compared what MY brass goes through with firing and sizing.

Thanks for the info @Mikej . Not that I'm likely to ever try it, but I do have use some cartridges that are getting harder to find (or afford) brass for, and I may have to consider it sometime. .218 Bee, .222 Remington, .222 Remington Magnum, .300 Wby Magnum and .270 WSM come to mind. Very interesting thread and video.

Thanks for the info @Mikej . Not that I'm likely to ever try it, but I do have use some cartridges that are getting harder to find (or afford) brass for, and I may have to consider it sometime. .218 Bee, .222 Remington, .222 Remington Magnum, .300 Wby Magnum and .270 WSM come to mind. Very interesting thread and video.
If just doing the "Eye Ballin' it" method like Lilhigbee and I did is all there is to it? It's pretty easy. but then, if you were getting 10-12 loading before split necks/ brass? Might not be worth it.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top