JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
60g Hammer Hunter bullets with CFE223. My initial pressure velocity test with these bullets. I loaded 3 of the same charge near the top in a wild guess they will group with a decent velocity, if they do thats my recipe and load dev is done. I did the same loading with A2520 to compare powders and their velocities. Hoping i can get at least 3000fps.

Selection_001.jpg

Primed another 2k pieces of 9mm brass. Had some problems with S&B brass with tight pockets. Seemed pretty random. Some were easy to prime, others just wouldn't work. No problems with other headstamps except for the random crimped pockets.

Managed to size and deprime around 500 pieces of .223/5.56 range brass. Developed quick techniques for dealing with stuck brass. Best method was to remember which container of brass had been lubed! :s0112:
I too used to reload multiple headstamp brass but as you have found there are some that are a PITA and makes for distractions when stuff goes gunnysacks.
I sort to look at the headstamps and the primers on each case that I'm going to load. There are certain ones that I will just toss in the sell or recycle bucket, if you see red sealant around a primer, 9 times out of 10 you can bet that it has a crimped primer pocket. Xtreme brand are also notorious for tight primer pockets, they get tossed.
Pistol brass I keep WIN, PMC, Sig and some Norma, I've found that they are good to go for longevity but keep an eye on them.
I sort ALL rifle brass (.223/5.56) and only keep newer years of LC (556), LC223, PMC, Winchester and PSD. Sure it takes time but I've incorporated time into my process plus I'm retired so a little anal on reloading. Being very thorough keeps me fingers and eyes intact.

Hmmmm. I've never really had they many problems with scratches on brass but there are times when a few cases out of the many that I've loaded that just won't size correctly and they will get streaks.
I prime all cases off press and clean dies regularly.
I have two die sets that scratch brass. And old Hornady set, in the hard dark red non-hinged box. And a Hornady .30 Carbine set in the opaque red hinged plastic box. Both sets well used. I did try using a strip of crocus cloth in a split dowel and drill. Was afraid to do it too much. Not sure it helped.

I have two die sets that scratch brass. And old Hornady set, in the hard dark red non-hinged box. And a Hornady .30 Carbine set in the opaque red hinged plastic box. Both sets well used. I did try using a strip of crocus cloth in a split dowel and drill. Was afraid to do it too much. Not sure it helped.
Call Hornady. I bet they will either polish them for you or replace them.

Call Hornady. I bet they will either polish them for you or replace them.
My Hornady .38/.357 is real old. That tiny hole that retains that stupid little wire around the base of the die had worn the hole in the die egg shaped and would allow the seater to come down past it. Hornady wouldn't cover that. I had to buy the new seater die from them at full price. Very foolish at the time. I could have got the whole new set for not a lot more. That's okay, it was not too long after I started loading. I've been quite satisfied with my Hornady dies.

Do you use a polishing compound?
Mother's works well for me, in fact I should do some polishing maintenance on all my dies soon.

My Hornady .38/.357 is real old. That tiny hole that retains that stupid little wire around the base of the die had worn the hole in the die egg shaped and would allow the seater to come down past it. Hornady wouldn't cover that. I had to buy the new seater die from them at full price. Very foolish at the time. I could have got the whole new set for not a lot more. That's okay, it was not too long after I started loading. I've been quite satisfied with my Hornady dies.
Guess I will scratch off Hornady covering their dies like RCBS and Dillon.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top