JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
235 rounds of 30 carbine today... plus 100 rounds previously while running my ladders and tweaking my results.

...man I hate how messy H110 is. I'm actually looking forward to cleaning the press.
What are your loads with H 110 in that .30 carbine? I just loaded my first for .30 carbine, five/each at 13.5-15.0 with old Speer 110gr soft points. About 60 yards. Groups were pretty loose. I know those guns aren't know for sniper accuracy. But I thought it would be better than that. It's also not an original. It's new manufacture Inland.

What are your loads with H 110 in that .30 carbine? I just loaded my first for .30 carbine, five/each at 13.5-15.0 with old Speer 110gr soft points. About 60 yards. Groups were pretty loose. I know those guns aren't know for sniper accuracy. But I thought it would be better than that. It's also not an original. It's new manufacture Inland.
Never having loaded for 30 carbine before, I did a ladder of loads from 14.0 - 15.0 using H110 and a RMR 110 gr RN bullet head. The loads appeared dirtier above 14.7 and the best groupings for me were in the 14.4 to 14.6 gr range, which I chronographed as follows:

14.4:

I ultimately chose to load with the 14.4 gr of H110 since it seemed to have tighter FPS numbers. So, we'll see how this first batch of 235 rounds does.

Never having loaded for 30 carbine before, I did a ladder of loads from 14.0 - 15.0 using H110 and a RMR 110 gr RN bullet head. The loads appeared dirtier above 14.7 and the best groupings for me were in the 14.4 to 14.6 gr range, which I chronographed as follows:

14.4:

I ultimately chose to load with the 14.4 gr of H110 since it seemed to have tighter FPS numbers. So, we'll see how this first batch of 235 rounds does.
Thanks for that.
One book showed down to 12 gr 110. But using a mag primer. I didn't have SR mag. I was concerned that 110 being, generally, a mag load powder that less case fill might not burn well.

So when are you and the Mrs. going to be coming up for that fishing trip? :D
I don't think we're doing it this year Jim. We're just a little over a month from leaving on our regular vacation down to our little rental cottage on the lake. For three weeks. Bass in the morning, and anchored up for perch 'til mid afternoon. There's fine, big, brown bullheads as a bonus. We eat that catfish while we're there and bag/freeze perch fillets to bring home. And bass get their picture taken, if they're worthy, and released.

A while ago I had a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special and bought some 200gr full Wadcutter bullets to make ammo with. Time passed, the gun got sold and the bullets sat on the shelf. I finally decided to make the ammo only to discover there is no published full wadcutter data for 44 special. Sure there is data on the internet from other loaders but no in the book data and none with the powder I wanted to use. So I read and extrapolated, then cast the chicken bones and came up with what I thought would be a good starting point. There is a big name manufacturer that makes a simaller load and claims theirs to run 1000 fps. I picked 850fps as a reasonable place to start with a bit of a safety margin. Today I assembled my best guess ammo and took it and the Chronograph to the range. My test fixtures were a 6" S&W 629 and a Rossi Carbine. The Rossi didn't like to feed the wadcutter but shot them just fine as a single shot. That was pretty much to be expected so I moved on to the revolver. Over the Chronograph and out of the 6" barrel the load averaged 875fps with an extreme spread of 12 FPS so not bad and well within my safety margin. I didn't shoot for a group but I did aim at a paper plate at 25 yards but was more interested in not shooting the machine. Still in all I made a fist sized group and was very pleasent to shoot so again, not bad.

Caliber: 9mm Luger 9X19
Bullet: Hornady XTP 147 gr
Powder: 3.4 Grs Hodgdon Titegroup
Primer: WSP
Case: Multi
Times Loaded: 2
Case Length: .750"
OAL: 1.100

C005791A-96D2-46B0-903D-3E4F6220AB9A.jpeg

Yesterday I finished boxing up the 158gr XTP/FP 357 ammo and then decided to sort out my personal 300 win mag and 223 bullets and brass I'd been squirreling away for a while now. Looks like I can make at least 500 of the 300 win mag and a couple thousand of the .223 when I find that round-tu-it.
Today I'll do a short run of 380 to get that out of the way then start preping cowboy brass in 32-20, 38-40, 44-40 and 45 Colt. Next week while that all is tumbling I'll be doing a production run of 9mm on the Mark 7 press.

The youngest and I put some 6.5 Swede's together yesterday, as well as 8x57 for deer season. This morning I ran 60 of 41 mag- backup/close deer loads.

This is why I sort of had stamps if I am going to keep wet cleaned brass…

View attachment 1265692

One reason I use egg shaped steel chips, less likely to get stuck.
I usually just throw those pins out. They are abnormally short compared to the others. I'm also trying to afford some "southern shine" media which gets rave reviews is more aggressive so shorter tumbling times (which would be a game changer for me) and they don't get stuck or clog like these will, and they are heavier so they fall out of the cases easier (I think they will...?)

was more interested in not shooting the machine.
A perfectly reasonable consideration. Which I myself have been cognizant of the need for. I haven't yet blasted the "box" but I've killed some screen struts. I have the little Chrony, no longer made, cannot get parts for it. Original screen struts I believe are metric, as I haven't found inch subs for them yet but have been using turned down wooden dowel. Which lacks the weight of steel, not as satisfactory.

I usually just throw those pins out. They are abnormally short compared to the others. I'm also trying to afford some "southern shine" media which gets rave reviews is more aggressive so shorter tumbling times (which would be a game changer for me) and they don't get stuck or clog like these will, and they are heavier so they fall out of the cases easier (I think they will...?)
I keep hearing about the Southern Shine media, might just have to replace what I've got and try it out.

Loaded 2850 9mm over the past two days at a friends house. He's generous enough to let me use his 650, it'd take a very long time on my single stages. Picking up a bunch of brass tomorrow, so the process starts again!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top