JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I found the lanolin mix *always* tarnished my brass.
I've had this for ~3 years now. Coconut oil, 99% Isopropyl in a 50:50 mix. Spoon it onto the felt, rub it in to spread it evenly. Roll the brass over it and resize. I use it only for bottle necked or, on occasion, 44 mag.
Wipe off by hand. Have never felt the need to re-tumble since doing this.
Typically will lay 10-20 pcs of brass down, roll them together one or two revs.
View attachment 1064658

Some brass from my last two batches.
View attachment 1064659
I haven't really looked, but where do you get the 99% isopropyl? All I ever have around is the stuff that like 50%?
I'm still using the RCBS lube/pad. It's okay. I don't want to use sheep excretions, any more than I want to drink bovine excretions. The coconut oil doesn't sound to bad.

Fred's or Rite Aid for me. I bought 6 pints ages ago. I guess it has been unobtainium since the Plandemic arrived.
I don't use methanol (Coleman cooking fuel, "white gas", Heet, etc) because it's toxic even when absorbed through the skin, more-so than Isopropyl. In a pinch, you can use Everclear instead.
99%IPA is about 1/4th the cost of Everclear, which is 99% ethanol.

I found the lanolin mix *always* tarnished my brass.
I've had this for ~3 years now. Coconut oil, 99% Isopropyl in a 50:50 mix. Spoon it onto the felt, rub it in to spread it evenly. Roll the brass over it and resize. I use it only for bottle necked or, on occasion, 44 mag.
Wipe off by hand. Have never felt the need to re-tumble since doing this.
Typically will lay 10-20 pcs of brass down, roll them together one or two revs.
View attachment 1064658

Some brass from my last two batches.
View attachment 1064659
My way works very well plus it keeps my hands soft, according to Mrs. caveman. Lol

Well, that says how often you smell like fish! :D
Coconut oil works exceptionally well too for softness. Doesn't stink, and best of all, doesn't tarnish your brass.
Yeah-but it's oil? Is lanolin oil? The RCBS stuff isn't oil. I'm not sure i want oil in the walnut. I run my rifle brass in a tumbler with walnut after sizing if it's for a bolt gun. The brass is clean enough I don't feel the need to tumble before sizing. The brass from the Garand wasn't that dirty either. AR15 fired brass is fairly dirty and I tumble twice.

Got my new encore barrel an SSK 10" 44 mag with a 1-16" twist for shooting heavy subs, orederd some 320's 350's and some makers 285 gr expanding, so far it shoots my 300 gr and 320 gr loads really good. using 8-9 grs of W-231.
Going out mon to run some more ammo through it. F87lHti.jpg

I had 5 tins of this powder sitting around taking up space for years:

View attachment 1063677

I also had a bunch bullets sitting on the corner of my bench and scattered around taking up space and a mish mash of primers so now I have:

View attachment 1063678

I opened up all five of the Red Dot cans to check the condition. It all smelled and looked fine, so I loaded up 10 rounds out of each can to test fire. All fired just fine and to the same point of impact as this load using new powder. So I cranked them all out and put them in high quality ammo storage devices! I just wish they would just sell these containers outright ... it's a pain getting that sticky brown paste out of them before you can put them to use! o_O

This powder did not have any red dots however ... I've used Red Dot since the 70's and don't recall this ever happening before. This is the first time since I've started reloading that I have no Red Dot on the shelf. I have never purchased any, every time I was about to run out some old trap shooter (or his widow) would ask me if I had any use for this keg or can of old powder. My world somehow, now, feels out of kilter! ARRG!

Anyway, I cleaned up a lot of odd and ends and saved some space, so that should make it right in the end right?

Naw .... does anybody know any trap shooter widows? LOL
I'm not dead yet you can't have this old trapshooter's red dot. I have a lot of 38 to load yet haha.

So what's up on the fun schedule this week you ask? The Mark 7 will be finishing up it's run of 9mm, then short runs of 380acp and 40 S&W. All with customer supplied primers of course. One of the L-N-L's is making 45acp and the other will get set up for 32 S&W Long and then 44 Special.

I loaded 400 rounds of 7.62x39. Steel and brass case Berdan primed and brass Winchester cases (Boxer) with IMI 122 gr. .310 bullets. My favorite load is 25.5 gr. of AA-1680 and any LRP. Smooth, accurate out to 100 yards and shoots well in 3- 7.62x39 rifles. SKS, AK 47 and my favorite AR 47.

HOWEVER, I could use more bullets if you have them to spare!

So what's up on the fun schedule this week you ask? The Mark 7 will be finishing up it's run of 9mm, then short runs of 380acp and 40 S&W. All with customer supplied primers of course. One of the L-N-L's is making 45acp and the other will get set up for 32 S&W Long and then 44 Special.
For the 1050, a caliber change is around $500 (toolhead/powder/conversion kit). Is the Mark7 about the same cost?

Ran a bin full of 45 Colt 250 grain coated RNFP bullets over Universal powder this afternoon. This was to restock plus build inventory after a range session last weekend with my two 45 Colt lever guns.

20CA40EE-07DD-47FB-9924-5C49BE01A3F2.jpeg
DCA8DCFB-B6A8-4A6A-B124-10ED8C1D1F41.jpeg

But you'd only have to do it once! o_O

I agree, Red Dot is a really under-valued powder outside of shotshell reloading circles. I shouldn't say this, now more folks might be on the hunt for it!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top