JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those Lee push thru sizing dies are great,

Yes they are. For all the Lee bashing that goes on (here and elsewhere), this is one of their products that even the staunchest Lee-hater would have trouble faulting. For one thing, it's dead simple. I used them before I bought the serious stuff, you know, Lyman bullet luberisizer (and base heater), the various dies and top punches, sticks of lube, etc. Which I am all rid of now. I probably should've just stuck with an assortment of Lee push-through dies in the first place. I think what made me go to a Lubrisizer was to take full advantage of a true lube groove on the bullet. Now coated bullets may make that assessment outdated.

One thing about the "serious stuff," all those little dies and punches can drive you to the poorhouse.

The Lee push-through sizing kits aren't just for cast bullets. My greatest success story with them was sizing jacketed .338's down to .330 for use in 8x56R Austrian. I juiced the bullets up with case pad lube, ran them through in one pass, worked like a charm every time. In those days, .338's often could be had cheaply due to their presence in mark-down or close-out bins at stores and gun shops. Not all that many people shoot .338, and when they do, not many shots.

When down-sizing the .338's, I noticed about .001 spring back. With those old Austrian bores, .329 to .330 was close enough.

Those Lee sizing dies are great. I'm working out how to automate my sizing process, and planning to make it so it takes Lee dies. The APP press works well, but I'm finding sizing to be a chore that I really would rather avoid. Laziness, the mother of invention!

"What did you reload today?" Some .458 WinMag with Oregon Trail Bullet Company 430 grain flat point gas checked bullets, 62 grains of IMR 3031 (My RCBS powder measure won't go quite that high with 3031 so I've got to use the powder trickler for the last ten or fifteen kernels), and CCI #200 large rifle primers. There is no need for magnum primers, the #200's always make it go "bang."

Why? Because I always wanted an elephant gun and a Ruger No.1 .458 Tropical is a really nice rifle. I don't shoot more than five or so at a whack, but then the .458 wasn't made to shoot all day, just once or twice at a session.

~200 x 9mm, when I ran out of primers I had 4 9mm bullets left and 200gr of powder. It's like having your car breaking down on an empty tank of gas :) Ended up w 57 lbs.
Now over to 10mm

PXL_20210501_182244020.jpg

I'm just finishing up a run of 44 Mag, first I made the 240gr SWC's then the 300gr TC's and now running out what Nickel Plated brass I have left and using the 300gr Hornady XTP's.

Finally found time to get together with my reloading buddy to set up the 9mm dies and "cranked out" 50 rounds in our first outing. As with anything-we had to stop and adjust things after things got going.

I've been eyeing that shelf of LC 5.56 lately and figgered they won't process themselves (plus I was waiting on my new fishfinder/GPS).
Last night I managed to resize almost 1k and swaged half of them. Today the FF/GPS came in so I installed it and to friggin tired to get out to the shop to finish the brass.:oops::oops::oops:

Today will be a 45-70 day. I've got a bunch of 405gr RNFP's, new Starline brass, Winchester primers and a few lbs of 5744 powder.
A friend and neighbor had a Ruger No.1 in 45-70, he has since moved to Arizona for health reasons. However he loaned me his rifle for a bit once. The loads were 500 grain hard cast and the velocities were within 200fps of the .458 WinMag. You know when you're pushing a 500 grain bullet at around 1700fps that additional 200 feet doesn't mean much and the "thump" on both ends is significant.

A friend and neighbor had a Ruger No.1 in 45-70, he has since moved to Arizona for health reasons. However he loaned me his rifle for a bit once. The loads were 500 grain hard cast and the velocities were within 200fps of the .458 WinMag. You know when you're pushing a 500 grain bullet at around 1700fps that additional 200 feet doesn't mean much and the "thump" on both ends is significant.
The load I'm making replicates the orginal Black Powder loads but with modern smokeless powder. Out of a 25" barrel they run 1300fps.

Some .223 Rem. using SR 4759 powder. I've had this now-discontinued powder for years, using it for reduced centerfire rifle loads. Lately, I've let go of the last rifle I used it in for this purpose. But I seemed to remember that the old DuPont loading pamphlet had rifle loads for just about all of their line of powders. So I went back and looked, sure enough they have loads for 50 and 55 gr. bullets in .223 using SR 4759. Now I still have a way to use this powder.

Finished off the 45-70, now making 1100 125gr RNFP 38 Specials. Then over to the Mark 7 to crank out 2000 9mm. After that I have 3000 357 to make if my brass and bullets get here today.

Finished off the 45-70, now making 1100 125gr RNFP 38 Specials. Then over to the Mark 7 to crank out 2000 9mm. After that I have 3000 357 to make if my brass and bullets get here today.
That's a bunch of .357. I don't think I've got more than 500 myself. I did find a box stashed away the other week I had forgotten about with 500 Starline cases and 6 bags of 140 grain COP bullets in it (solid copper hollow points), but that's for emergencies.

Last Edited:
That's a bunch of .357. I don't think I've got more than 500 myself. I did find a box stashed away the other week I had forgotten about with 500 Starline cases and 6 bags of 140 grain COP bullets in it (solid copper hollow points), but that's for emergencies.
The truth be told, it's not my ammo. I make it, but it's all for customers.

The truth be told, it's not my ammo. I make it, but it's all for customers.
I used to do that but the liability regarding a single mistake has become too egregious to contemplate these days. And too my homeowners policy will not protect me. The last time I checked the cost of a specific insurance policy to protect me was too ridiculous to consider purchasing such a policy.

I've a good friend with a business as a firearms instructor, tactical and concealed carry. He has a small range and rental firearms, he provides ammunition. His insurance policy will not even allow re-loaded ammunition on his property. Which is a shame as he used to re-load a bunch of his ammunition before he started his business.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads