JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Mikej

Have you tried 2400 and the .30 100gr 1/2 jackets?
I kept a lot of, "Yotes" fed with that load. :rolleyes:

I haven't loaded anything for it yet. I don't have 2400. I have several #s of 110 because that's what I heard was the original powder used in .30 carbine.. I have all the components (now that it's pretty much confirmed standard small rifle primers will do just fine). I've got so much other stuff going on now that it's good weather, I just can't bring myself to sit inside.

My earlier comments weren't intended as contrary or argumentative. I honestly hadn't ever heard the recommendation to use magnum primers in the carbine. I've been loading it for so long that if I saw that recommendation in a loading manual, I probably wouldn't "see" it. I would never use pistol primers in the .30 carbine, but never thought to use magnums.

In some ways that's disconcerting. Just because I've done something a certain way for decades, doesn't necessarily mean it's right. In this case I'm comfortable that it is, but it's good to keep and open mind. Also, I will never fault someone for following recommendations in a loading manual and trying to make sure they do it the right way!

I just looked in a few of my manuals, and can't find any that show a magnum primer for the carbine. It's probably a manual specific thing, and some manuals do tend to err on the side of caution (not a bad thing).

My earlier comments weren't intended as contrary or argumentative. I honestly hadn't ever heard the recommendation to use magnum primers in the carbine. I've been loading it for so long that if I saw that recommendation in a loading manual, I probably wouldn't "see" it. I would never use pistol primers in the .30 carbine, but never thought to use magnums.

In some ways that's disconcerting. Just because I've done something a certain way for decades, doesn't necessarily mean it's right. In this case I'm comfortable that it is, but it's good to keep and open mind. Also, I will never fault someone for following recommendations in a loading manual and trying to make sure they do it the right way!

I just looked in a few of my manuals, and can't find any that show a magnum primer for the carbine. It's probably a manual specific thing, and some manuals do tend to err on the side of caution (not a bad thing).
I agree with your comments. I started loading .30 Carbine sometime around 1976 and the Lyman and Speer manuals I had at the time didn't mention magnum primers in .30 Carbine with any powder. So I've never used them, just small rifle and they always went bang, there was never any unburnt powder, and they seemed as accurate as the factory ammunition I had purchased before I started reloading the cases. Now I've two newer manuals (a newer Speer and a Hornady book) that do suggest using magnum primers with H110. However at this point why change when it has never been a problem?

I'll also mention that I too recommend anyone new to the hobby follow the manuals before listening to some guy (like me) on the internet. They can re-adjust their technique and use of components as their skill and knowledge base increases. But I'm telling you, in 45 or so years of reloading I've learned that some things in the books are purely for corporate lawyers benefit. For one thing the maximum charge weights for many cartridges has decreased a few grains in the last 30 to 40 years with some powders.

As for doing something for years that may not be "right," if it works as it is supposed to, and is safe, that's right enough. Oh, right, I also shoot those rounds out of a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine and they work well in that too. But they do bark a bit.

I looked in a couple of my books as well and see that they recommend standard small rifle primers for the 30 Carbine. When I first started loading this caliber all I had was small rifle magnum primers that I was using to light off W-748 in .223 varmint loads so that's what I did the load development with and have stuck to ever since.

Last Edited:
Primed and belled 920 9mm rounds with a single stage. I'm tired.
20210418_155221.jpg

Loaded up some 140gr Hornady FTX in 357 for the lever guns using H-110 we'll see how this powder does vs Blue Dot. One of these days I'll have to try the leverlution powder whenever that unicorn riding leprechaun delivery guy drops it on my doorstep.
Two of my favorite handgun powders, especially when I want velocity. H110 will bump the speed, and the fireball!

Loaded up 50rds of 30-30sp and another 100 rds of 40 plinkers for the kid. Need to get some more 30-30 brass to tinker with the Hornady monoflex 140's for hunting. May not be able to find Leverolution ammo but at least I can make my own.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top