JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seeds.jpg

.223 Remington. 55gr bullet with 26gr of CFE223. Cost: $0.316 ea if my math is correct.

Last Edited:
The following was a somewhat contrived situation. I had some undesized cast .45 ACP bullets, they run around .4505. I didn't cast them, they came in an estate lot. They were unsized and unlubed. I was gonna throw them in the scrap lead but kept them back, for some reason. Waste not, want not, maybe. I have one Colt 1911 in .45 ACP left. Lately, I sold all the .45 ACP reloading components, thinking I have a lot of reloaded ammo on hand already, when that's gone, I'll sell the .45 pistol. I did keep my dies. These bullets are 200 gr. RN. I decided to give them a try anyway. Also I've sold all my casting and lube/sizing equipment. So I lubed them with Lee liquid alox that I had left over from years ago. You just put the bullets in a margerine cup and swirl them around in the liquid lube, then put them out on wax paper to dry.

The thing is, those bullets should've been .452, ideally. As an undersized bullet, you might expect some leading of the barrel. And loss of accuracy might be expected. So I loaded some up, got as much bullet tension as I could using one of my taper crimp dies. I took about 25 out for test, they fired off accurately enough and didn't leave any lead in the bore, which surprised me. No bullet setback into the case, either. So I went ahead and ordered a Lee .45 ACP undersize sizing die to get a bit better bullet tension. After that tool arrived, I loaded up the clean .45 ACP brass that I had generated from firing on-hand reloads, using the undersized bullets. I had the gun and this ammo out the other day again, and at 20 yards, I can place all of the bullets inside the black target center, which is what, 6 inches? Which is just about as good as I can do with any other ammo in the .45 ACP 1911.

I have a mold that throws undersized bullets. There are ways to correct that, but I just never got around to it.

Then I started powder coating. I'm glad I never "fixed" my undersized mold. Powder coating adds diameter and they're perfect now.

Powder coating was a revolution for me, with casting. I doubt I'll ever lube another bullet. In fact, I sold off all my lube-sizers and dies last year.

Cool Saving Money

For my cast bullets, I decided to try and beat the cost of copper gas checks, aprox. $35.00k and bought a gas check cutter. $100.00

Right away I found it was very difficult to make the cutter work in my RCBS jr.press, so I bought a 1 ton Arbor press.$50.00

The Arbor press was great, but the cutter kept falling over, so I had to buy some oversized drills and counter bore the press anvil to hold the cutter. $25.00

Now for material: My local Sears has .014 aluminum flashing 50'x6". You can special order it from their supplier, for $40.00 a roll. Cut into 3/4" wide strips, that's approximately 800 strips per roll.

By being careful, I can punch 8 GC per strip giving me 6,400 gas checks per roll. That's a savings of almost $5.00.

At this rate I'll only have to shoot about 6,400 .459 cal. bullets (275lbs of lead) to amortize the cost of making my own gas checks.

After that, THEY'RE FREE !!! 1619196435350.png
Been thinking about saving some more money by buying a..... 1619196435383.png

Oh! Can't forget the the cost of Kelvar gloves and a box of Band Aids for handling the cutout scrap material. It's like Razor Wire.

There's also the saving I made by buying a .22lr adapter for my wife's pistol. ($250.00) Now, I can save alot on the cost of 9mm....which I don't "buy" anyway....
1619196435367.png

I know I've told this joke before, but I always think of it when we're talking about the things many of us do to "save money", and the math we use to justify it.

This lady comes home from the store with a new dress, and shows it off to her husband. He's upset.

"We talked about spending money! Times are tight and we have to save every dollar we can!"

"Oh, but you don't understand, it was free!"

He's confused - what?!

"Well, you see, they're having a big sale. This dress was 50% off, regular price $100. So, the sale price was $50, but the savings was $50. I just bought it with the $50 that I saved!"

Powder coating adds diameter and they're perfect now.

Yes, and I've had issues a couple of times with store-bought coated bullets from both Bayou Bullets and Mo. Bullet Co. After the coating had been added, they were bigger than .452. They bulged the cases enough that some rounds wouldn't go fully into battery in the weapon. But this was a several years ago when coated bullets were fairly new on the market. When you read about coated bullet products, the manufacturers now sometimes say that the coating added to the cast bullet comes out to the proper diameter. Maybe this is no longer a problem.

Yes, and I've had issues a couple of times with store-bought coated bullets from both Bayou Bullets and Mo. Bullet Co. After the coating had been added, they were bigger than .452. They bulged the cases enough that some rounds wouldn't go fully into battery in the weapon. But this was a several years ago when coated bullets were fairly new on the market. When you read about coated bullet products, the manufacturers now sometimes say that the coating added to the cast bullet comes out to the proper diameter. Maybe this is no longer a problem.
I ran into that issue when I first started powder coating. Now I size everything after coating, no matter what they measure. It's interesting how tough and pliable the coating is; I can take a bullet that drops from the mold at nearly .454", measures almost .456" after coating, then size them to .452" and they shoot great.

I ran into that issue when I first started powder coating. Now I size everything after coating, no matter what they measure. It's interesting how tough and pliable the coating is; I can take a bullet that drops from the mold at nearly .454", measures almost .456" after coating, then size them to .452" and they shoot great.
True story. I take .358s to .352 for that .351 Winchester I have. No lube straight through the .352 die and it just moves with the bullet it's amazing. If I do it in two steps it's more pleasant on the wrists and shoulders:D.

I know I've told this joke before, but I always think of it when we're talking about the things many of us do to "save money", and the math we use to justify it.

This lady comes home from the store with a new dress, and shows it off to her husband. He's upset.

"We talked about spending money! Times are tight and we have to save every dollar we can!"

"Oh, but you don't understand, it was free!"

He's confused - what?!

"Well, you see, they're having a big sale. This dress was 50% off, regular price $100. So, the sale price was $50, but the savings was $50. I just bought it with the $50 that I saved!"
Shades of Gracie Allen.

So the coating doesn't scratch or get harmed during the sizing process? I wondered about that. (Ooops, just saw agingstudent's comment)

I haven't gotten into coating cast bullets and won't. But I like the product if it's done right. So far, my favorites have been the Federal Syntech bullets but try getting ahold of any for reloading these days.

So the coating doesn't scratch or get harmed during the sizing process? I wondered about that. (Ooops, just saw agingstudent's comment)

I haven't gotten into coating cast bullets and won't. But I like the product if it's done right. So far, my favorites have been the Federal Syntech bullets but try getting ahold of any for reloading these days.
The federal syntech is a little different. It's harder and a little more brittle. I don't think it would resize as well. But powdercoat resizes incredibly well. Hitek is pretty pliable also I think it would be okay. But I've never had to resize. Hitek is usually applied in several thin coats and generally thinner.

Edited for misspellings and clarity--I am ashamed

Last Edited:
I find that listening to the news while I reload ups my production. Furiously priming 9mms right now 😆. I want to make sure I shoot it all before I'm expected to give it upo_O

I think you got that backwards brother, it's supposed to be shoot it all while giving it up. :s0143:
Actually the real reason is I got that Ruger PC carbine from my dad and I want to get a good load worked up for it. 9 isn't usually favorite cartridge but I am thinking this one will be fun because I have a tactical scope with a lighted reticle that will fit.

200x9mm so far today. According to my calculations the pound of Green Dot I've been using should give me 1750 rounds at 4 grains each. Using range pickup brass and Missouri RN 115gr powder coated. I finally got my dies dialed in perfectly and I'm not changing caliber until all the powder is gone.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top