Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What 9mm Defense Ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Chromaflage, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Chromaflage

Chromaflage Oregon Member

I've been drooling over ads for the new Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Has anyone gotten any yet? Any thoughts on this round? How about the TAP? Or HydroShock? What say the seasoned and experienced? What other 9mm defense rounds are worth considering?

Thanks.

2. savealife83

savealife83 Salem New Member

I am wondering the same thing. They look pretty impressive!!

3. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Speer Gold Dots and Cor-Bon DPX (or other rounds with the Barnes XPB bullet) would be the ones I would look at.

Hyda-shok is old bullet technology, you can get better. I'm not personally too knowledgeable regarding the TAP pistol ammo or the new critical defense though they certainly seem interesting. I want to see some independent ballistics testing though before I decide if I want to switch over from my current choice of Ranger T (147gr - RA9T - simply the best IMO though good luck finding any these days)

Do some reading and form your own conclusion - here

4. sweetnsauer

sweetnsauer Salem New Member

If theyre anything like varmint bullets in a rifle, which they seem to be designed to emulate, they should work great, point wont fill up with clothes, but will be easily pushed back by the much denser flesh.

5. Chromaflage

Chromaflage Oregon Member

Thanks....some good reading right there. :thumbup: