JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone else seen them? It seems a little early to me, but they are traveling N. Some were on our lawn (1/4 acre lawn) this morning. Then they took off and headed high and N.

They get into our irrigation ditch which isn't running, but has large pools, fly up onto the lawn, and then leave in a while.

There's a resident population here where I live over by the skate park in Hillsboro off of Cornelius Pass Rd. Every morning for the past couple of months there have been several flights that go over my house, sometimes I swear there must be a thousand of them passing over. Most afternoons they are over on the grounds of Brown Middle School. I love to hear them going over, but they sure make a mess in the park and the school for the kids playing soccer.

I don't see them in the winter. I see them when they start to migrate. ?? You guys are lucky. I love to see them.

The deer disappear about the middle of hunting season and don't reappear until Spring. I do see coyotes year round, and the turkeys hang around always. Mallards are usually here only Spring to Fall.

We usually have a group of 3-4 bucks on our property Spring into hunting season.

I've posted this before - taken out the back door.

DSC00060a-2.jpg

I don't see them in the winter. I see them when they start to migrate. ?? You guys are lucky. I love to see them.

The deer disappear about the middle of hunting season and don't reappear until Spring. I do see coyotes year round, and the turkeys hang around always. Mallards are usually here only Spring to Fall.

We usually have a group of 3-4 bucks on our property Spring into hunting season.

I've posted this before - taken out the back door.

DSC00060a-2.jpg

I have a deal for you. I'll trade my view in suburban Hillsboro and the Goose overflights for yours. ;)

I have a deal for you. I'll trade my view in suburban Hillsboro and the Goose overflights for yours. ;)

No thanks, LOL. In early Spring the turkeys mate on our lawn. - within 100 yards from the house. I can watch them out the window. Then the females literally chase the toms away and disappear into the woods. Then a few weeks later they reappear with about 9-12 chicks in tow, each. Then we watch the chicks grow up and reach almost adult size by winter. During the summer they learn to fly. Within a year, the chicks are adults and I can't tell them apart.

Somewhere back beyond that pic, on the hill, the females nest but I've never tried to find them nesting. I leave them alone to "do their thing." I know they are there because they bring those tiny chicks down from there, and back up they go, morning and night. During the day the female will leave them and come down to drink and feed and I'm told, take them food.

I leave them alone but they are used to me and will walk right by me in the driveway.

That's pretty cool gunner.. approximately what part of the PNW are ye in? I am curious if they are out on the Olympic Peninsula for one thing..

Like Cougfan, we've got a year-round population of Canada Geese here in Aloha, I expect because of Tualatin Hills Nature Park right next door.
But there do seem to be a lot of high-altitude overflights as well this past week - it seems way early for the Canucks to be headed home already.

That's pretty cool gunner.. approximately what part of the PNW are ye in? I am curious if they are out on the Olympic Peninsula for one thing..

We're in the hills overlooking the Medford area. It's really cool because we are in the woods with wildlife and yet a great view of the valley - fairly close in yet secluded. I could kill a buck right out of our great room window any hunting season but I won't - we like looking at them, and they become "ours."

It is legal to shoot here and I have a 100 yard range, but I usually go to the sports park unless I'm just testing something.

Cool, like your use of Great Room.. we are about to build a castle on our place with a Great Hall, the original concept

Each person has a different priority for his own needs, so no one is "right." To me, it's the land. I have a nice house, but not a castle. The construction is pretty ordinary. We did put in 9' ceilings, run cabinets clear to the ceiling, etc., but that's no big deal. We used HardyPlank (concrete) siding and a fireproof roof for good reason. Just things like that. Oh, and lots of glass for the view.

The great room is in the close corner with 5 7x5 widows.

House550.jpg

HouseGoogle4-2.jpg

Gunner, that sure looks like a castle to me!

Thanks. If you look real close, it's a perfect box - the cheapest way to build. The first floor is my office with a man cave behind, and a garage. All living is above. It's actually only maybe 2400 square feet and very basic. It's the land and view.

We have turkeys spring, summer and fall. When the snow gets too deep they go lower. Most we have ever had here was 43 in the yard at once (reliable water) Our deer stay all year, unless we get more than 2' of snow, then they move down too. Everthing comes back up as the snow leaves in April or May.

Nice place.. we have a real estate that we have been waiting on to build for a long time and soon will be able to.. close enough in to easily get to town but remote enough and totally surrounded by perpetual timberlands

Here's a small part of our land way down on the HWY.. we own about 1 mile of both sides of the road. The trees along the road are mostly smaller trees with a few giants but down in the swamp there are real old growth giants

Nice place.. we have a real estate that we have been waiting on to build for a long time and soon will be able to.. close enough in to easily get to town but remote enough and totally surrounded by perpetual timberlands

Here's a small part of our land way down on the HWY.. we own about 1 mile of both sides of the road. The trees along the road are mostly smaller trees with a few giants but down in the swamp there are real old growth giants

Nice!! :) I see a lot of moss on the trees. I used to live in Aberdeen many eons ago and that reminds me of old times. Do you mind saying what general area you are in?

mid eastern side of the peninsula.. and moss we got .. stand still long enough and it will grow on you :s0114:

LOL. We used to go salmon fishing on the Hoh River in/near the rain forest. It's gorgeous even when raining.

I've always been in S. Oregon out of the rain except for the short stint in Aberdeen.

A couple of years ago my wife and I took a drive up the Ore. and Wash. Coast, crossed the Columbia to Aberdeen, then on up through Forks, Port Angeles, "Squim," LOL, and caught a ferry from Bremerton to Seattle. It was a beautiful trip.

We fell in love with the area and began to look for land in 1991.. we found our place and there was nothing like it even back then.. got it for a song and now we have discovered the timber is worth a fortune and I am going into business selling a bit in a few thins, and using the leftovers to make finished products in the shop and market them direct as well as selling some finished lumber. We will never clear cut it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top