JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you had to give advice to a new hunter (what guns to take or places to try etc.) what would you say?

Sidenote: I know people have certain areas that they hunt at but just a general spot where people could branch off and hunt.

Hunting...
Is far more that what gun to take..or where to go.

It would be wise to study up on the game one wants to hunt.
Deer , elk , bear...grouse...all can live in the area...but all require different methods.
And perhaps different firearms or cartridge loadings.

It would also be wise to study up on and scout the area where you want to hunt.
Hike and camp there in the off season...get out and .....walk...do your best to get to know the land.

As for shooting...
One can be an excellent shot on the controlled environment of a range...but a great range shot does not always equal a great hunting shot.
When scouting ....take your rifle or shotgun with you...practice "hunting shots " where safe to do so.
A hunting shot is when ....
You are tired...cold ...hungry...in poor light...usually off hand or with a improvised rest...
After you have carried your rifle or shotgun all day...
This is vastly different when relaxed at a range.

Also when scouting or camping...use the same gear / clothing you would when you are hunting.
Hunting season is not the time for a field test.
Andy

My advice would be not to expect to fill your tag and enjoy the hunt for what it is. Bring a gun that's light. You won't appreciate that 10lb bazooka after hiking all day. And bring lots of socks.

Wow that's a really deep explanation
Speaking only for myself here and I how I look at and do things....

Hunting is a very serious business.
Not that you can't have fun while hunting...However one big goal of hunting is to come home with meat.
I need to respect the fact that I am trying to take a life.
I also need to respect the animal hunted and the land hunted in.

When I hunt...I am fully taking part of life...as a active participant....not just watching animals or enjoying the scenery.
Not being an observer or whatnot....but actually engaged in a role that will affect all concerned if I am successful in killing game.
This is not a matter to take lightly or to go about without thought or care.

With that said....
I don't have to kill an animal to have a successful hunt.
That fully taking part of life I talked about earlier...comes into play here.
It is one reason why I think the old saying of : "Everything tastes better when its cooked over an open fire. " ...rings true.
When hunting I try to be wholly in tune with what is going on around me...which then sharpens my senses.
So I can then be better able to take in all the life around me.
Andy

If you had to give advice to a new hunter (what guns to take or places to try etc.) what would you say?

Sidenote: I know people have certain areas that they hunt at but just a general spot where people could branch off and hunt.
I asked this question a long time ago. I didn't grow up hunting but I grew up shooting and being a woodsman. Anyway -

I ended up with a 7mm Remington Mag. Ruger at the time, but there are better rifles out now that cost a little more but will be rifles you can give to grandkids later. The ballistics are great, it's super flat shooting, lots of different bullet weights to play with, and it will take down anything on the North American continent. I've also later found out it's one of the "less recoil" calibers making it fun to shoot time and time again. I've shot .338 and 300, I'll stick with my 7mm.

Later in life I bought my kids a .270 hoping for less kick for them, and having to do it all over again, the kick isn't much different and I would love to only have one caliber to mess with. I'd buy them a 7mm rem mag as well and not look back.

There is the new 7mm prc, but I don't think the barrel has the life expectancy of the 7mm rem mag, so that's something to think on as well.

For hunting spots, go find a clear cut area. Hike there often and make sure it's tucked back in a little ways. Find a spot on the edge of the cut that hides you but gives you good vision of most of the cut. Look for trails coming in and out of the cut, and make sure you've got a good view of them. Hike in early before sunrise, at least an hour ahead of it. No flashlight, maybe a red light on super low power. Sit all day if you can till after dark, then head out without your flashlight on and without noise. Repeat for many days until lucky.

Start there. When you get better, start hiking mountains and following elk and deer trails. See where you bump into them and the time of day you bump into them. Lots more but I'll leave it at that for now.

If you're new to hunting and especially if you're hunting Blacktails my advice would be to not be discouraged when you don't see much game. Pay attention to sign, learn what good sign is by starting off in popular hunting areas (they are popular because they hold good numbers of game).

When starting out your priority should be to learn. Learn the area, learn the game habits, learn from your mistakes. Learn what gear works. Learn where it's best to camp in a given area.

A few of my big mistakes from the past: 1. over scouting or scouting too close to the season. 2. Putting my tent in a spot that disrupts the game and makes mature bucks aware of my presence. 3. Having the rifle strapped to my pack while hiking out of a good area.

When you figure out what you're doing and can be successful regularly… find your own area with less pressure (and usually less game). Manage your spot by controlling the predators where possible (reducing fawn mortality). Deer populations are cyclical so you would benefit from having two areas that are not too close geographically.

Harvesting only mature bucks has the least impact on the population and when you harvest the dominant buck in an area you will often draw in more mature bucks to your area the next couple seasons. Nothing wrong with harvesting young bucks it will just have a negative impact on your spot, every harvest is likely to educate other bucks so make it count.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top