JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How much ammo do you usually go through at competitions?

Most USPSA Matches have a round count of 100-140 if you dont miss. Some stages are what is called "Virginia count" an exact shot count, others are "Comstock" as many shots as you want. I bring 200 to be safe and go through 120-150. If you think you wont miss you will be disapointed. Go in to your first shoot to have fun and learn. I have seen guys show up with a fancy 1911 that will shoot 1" groups at 25yrds on paper and have a hard time hitting anything and get frazzled. Being timed and moving changes your known skill set. Then there is the TEXAS STAR!!!!! The ultimate ammo magnet. Today at DRRC we have 2 Texas stars in one stage:s0131:

I have a few new shooter safety and skill suggestions for USPSA and speed steel.

Read the rules of the competition before you start. You don't need to memorize all of them. However, you are expected to know all the safety rules and range commands.

Do not attempt a competition until you know basic function of the pistol. You must be able to load, unload and clear jams. You don't have to do these functions fast but you must be able to do them safe. I recommend all shooters do them carefully.

Attend ARPC's USPSA safety course or a similar course. Even if USPSA isn't what you plan to do, they cover the basics of safety and range commands that are used for most pistol competitions. ARPC's course also includes live fire exercises where you shoot or act as the Range Officer and it is free.

Know the number of magazines you need. It varies by competition. You do not want to run out of ammo on a stage, reload because you prematurely ran out of ammo or have your squad waiting while you reload mags to finish strings on a stage.

Use a simple holster. It must cover the trigger. You must be able to draw the pistol from the holster with one hand. It must retain the pistol securely. Avoid holsters that require a button pushed, strap unbuttoned etc, they complicate things unnecessarily. Simple injected molded holsters can be found cheap ($20-30) for common pistols.

You should be able to consistently group slow fire hits on a target. I have seen new inexperienced shooters totally missing close targets because of recoil flinch. It is frustrating to them and they waste ammo a little more private time behind the pistol could have avoided. I tend to have a recoil flinch but when it crops up I can focus and correct it.

Use a pistol and ammo that functions reliably together. A gun jam puts you at more risk of breaking a safety rule and takes a lot of fun out of shooting.

If you follow these suggestions, you will put yourself in a position to have fun. They seem like common sense but I see new and experience competition shooters make these mistakes all the time.

I have a few new shooter safety and skill suggestions for USPSA and speed steel.

Read the rules of the competition before you start. You don't need to memorize all of them. However, you are expected to know all the safety rules and range commands.

Do not attempt a competition until you know basic function of the pistol. You must be able to load, unload and clear jams. You don't have to do these functions fast but you must be able to do them safe. I recommend all shooters do them carefully.

Attend ARPC's USPSA safety course or a similar course. Even if USPSA isn't what you plan to do, they cover the basics of safety and range commands that are used for most pistol competitions. ARPC's course also includes live fire exercises where you shoot or act as the Range Officer and it is free.

Know the number of magazines you need. It varies by competition. You do not want to run out of ammo on a stage, reload because you prematurely ran out of ammo or have your squad waiting while you reload mags to finish strings on a stage.

Use a simple holster. It must cover the trigger. You must be able to draw the pistol from the holster with one hand. It must retain the pistol securely. Avoid holsters that require a button pushed, strap unbuttoned etc, they complicate things unnecessarily. Simple injected molded holsters can be found cheap ($20-30) for common pistols.

You should be able to consistently group slow fire hits on a target. I have seen new inexperienced shooters totally missing close targets because of recoil flinch. It is frustrating to them and they waste ammo a little more private time behind the pistol could have avoided. I tend to have a recoil flinch but when it crops up I can focus and correct it.

Use a pistol and ammo that functions reliably together. A gun jam puts you at more risk of breaking a safety rule and takes a lot of fun out of shooting.

If you follow these suggestions, you will put yourself in a position to have fun. They seem like common sense but I see new and experience competition shooters make these mistakes all the time.

Well put:s0155:

Some times its just not your day. Mistakes and bad mental focus= One of my worst scores on Sat.:s0114: The harder I tried the worse it got:huh: Got some sun and hang time with friends so it was a great day. Man 46th was a bitter pill though............:rolleyes:

Have have shot ipsc at albany with my carry colt... Officers and done well enough to place. Also shot idpa at drrc with the same gun

Uspsa
A12243

I do some competition where I shoot and al I can tell you is I suck. I have bad hand eye coordination. I suck at any sport but still I have a ton of fun with a gun.

Anybody on this board do IDPA in the Greater Seattle area?

Yes, there is a match just about every weekend from Oak Harbor to Onalaska. The two largest matches are at Renton Fish & Game Range and Paul Bunyan range in Puyallup. There is a match at Paul Bunyan this Saturday. I shoot a lot of the IDPA matches in Washington and teach IDPA specific classes too. My YouTube page with over 80 match videos, dmonwai - YouTube

Damon Mon Wai

Is there a place to get the schedule of matches? I am looking forward to an opportunity to participate. Thanks.

There really isn't one place where all the Washington matches are listed. The official IDPA web site has all the clubs but doesn't have all the details like what day and time the matches are.

I made my own document that lists the Clubs/Ranges, contact people, address, match fees and dates. I need to update some of the match fees, a couple places now charge $20 for the match. PM me your email and I'll send you a copy.

I went to the class at ARPC today, it was fun and I'm looking forward to my first competition. Looking at the rules, it appears that my Glock 23C (factory ported .40) will only qualify in the "Open" division? Is that right? It also seems that I can compete in some of the more normal divisions (production and limited) if I get a non-ported barrel?

Further, it seems that if I were to use a 9mm conversion barrel (and thereby making it into something very similar to a G19) I wouldn't be able to use it in Production and Limited?

Last Edited:
This is true... And if I was stuck in that situation, get a nonported barrel from KKM and when the next bullet shortage happens at least ya can cast ur own lead bullets and keep shooting.

A12243
Be safe

This is true... And if I was stuck in that situation, get a nonported barrel from KKM and when the next bullet shortage happens at least ya can cast ur own lead bullets and keep shooting.

A12243
Be safe

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably just compete with my 23C this weekend to get the certification, maybe get a different barrel or compete with an M&P9c that's due in soon to compete after this weekend.

Last Edited:
I went to the class at ARPC today, it was fun and I'm looking forward to my first competition. Looking at the rules, it appears that my Glock 23C (factory ported .40) will only qualify in the "Open" division? Is that right? It also seems that I can compete in some of the more normal divisions (production and limited) if I get a non-ported barrel?

Further, it seems that if I were to use a 9mm conversion barrel (and thereby making it into something very similar to a G19) I wouldn't be able to use it in Production and Limited?

Glock 23C is open due to the comp. It can be used for limited or limited 10 if you change the barrel to a non-ported barrel of 9mm or larger. It can only be used for production if you change the barrel to a non-ported 40 cal barrel. The approved production handgun list specifically says "C models are allowed providing that the barrel is non-ported and the other requirements are met". Appendix D4 21.3 says "you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top