JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This thread is intended for the newbee that thinks you need to be at pro level to start. Simply put...not true at all. No better place to gain a tremendous amount of skill than in competition. Most all competitors welcome new shooters with open arms as we were welcomed at our start. Safety is the most important thing that is taught at a match. It has been my experience that I can gain as much from shooting 150rnds in 6 stages as I would shooting 500-1000rnds at paper on the range. Speed and accuracy will come in time the more matches you shoot.

The skills you learn first:
Muzzle control(keeping your muzzle pointed downrange at all times)
Safe gun handling(keeping trigger finger straight and out of the trigger gaurd during any movement or re-load or re-holstering)
Lots of re-loading and drawing from the holster
Lots of good and friendly advice from experienced shooters
Lots of steel targets:s0155:
The rush of being timed:s0114:

You dont need an expensive setup. I started with a $15 unclemikes nylon holser and mag pouch.
I have never got funny looks for being a newbee. That is the #1 reason I here for not wanting to come out and try USPSA, or Im not at a pro level, or I will be to slow. Their is no too slow only safe:s0155:

Oh BTW the youngest I have seen was 14 so come out to a match and give it a try. Its for everyone!!!

Want to see what you can be capable of?? Give USPSA or IDPA a try
Hopefully this gets you off that fence and out to join your new waiting family:cool:

Have fun
Be safe
Mr Ed

An inexpensive holster is OK - but, I wouldn't agree with a nylon holster - get something that cannot fold over: leather, kydex, not serpa.

IDPA takes 3 mags and you are competitive with a stock $400 - $500 gun - ie a Glock 17.

I actually joined the IDPA just got my stuff in the mail and looking forward to getting out, learning and having some fun. Thank you to those that have responded to my posts and mails.

Thanks for this glad to see people on here are welcoming. Will I find these comps on the douglas club site?

DRRC, Dundee, APRC, Tri-County, Bend, Clatskanie and Eugine are all clubs that hold monthly USPSA matches and some IDPA too. I am sure that there are more clubs than I listed too. The february DRRC USPSA is this Sat. at 10am to 4 or 5. Fees are $15

An inexpensive holster is OK - but, I wouldn't agree with a nylon holster - get something that cannot fold over: leather, kydex, not serpa.

IDPA takes 3 mags and you are competitive with a stock $400 - $500 gun - ie a Glock 17.

I was glad to retire my nylon setup. Just letting folks know it should not be an obstacle to get started. Its better to wait to buy a good setup untill you come out and shoot 1 or 2 and then figure out what you want. I have seen lots of folks buy all new gear for their first shoot only to realize that it doesn't suit them or they see something better that somebody else has. Best place to window shop is at a match. You will see lots of different setups of all types and brands, and good feedback on Quality and reliability. The best place to B.S. and talk about gear is at a match. Thats why most of us are on this Forum:cool:

DRRC, Dundee, APRC, Tri-County, Bend, Clatskanie and Eugine are all clubs that hold monthly USPSA matches and some IDPA too. I am sure that there are more clubs than I listed too. The february DRRC USPSA is this Sat. at 10am to 4 or 5. Fees are $15
Great, now I just have to do a little research and figure out how it is ran and what is the diff between uspas and idpa is.

Fees are only $15? It can't really be that cheap, can it? Do I have to be a member of whatever range the comp is held at? Are there no mandatory classes (and fees) required before I could shoot in one of these comps? I have no experience with shooting competitions but was under the impression they cost far more. I am a very safe shooter and don't care about being slow, but have no range membership or formal training. How much would it cost someone like me to go to one of these events and participate?

As far as which one to start with: doesn't really matter which one. For me, it was a decision as to what was being held at my club. It's a bit more like a chevy vs ford question.

As to cost, the matches are inexpensive. They're asking you to help pay for supplies. Club membership is a non-issue when it comes to participation in these two sports on a local level.

USPSA does require that you attend a 4 hour orientation prior to participation in your first match. Other that that, you'll need to provide your own ammunition, gear, transportation, and lunch. But like any sport, it'll cost what you want to put into it. Even stamp collecting can be pretty expensive if you want it to be. You'll see basic semi-auto handguns and also see "race guns" and gear. There are different categories of competition, so the playing field is relatively even.

Both regimes are very beginner friendly. It doesn't matter how well you shoot, it's about learning and challenging yourself. You can seek different levels of personal training, that's totally up to you and is a part of what you want to get out of shooting in general. Don't get too caught up in what you think you'll need. Just check it out and have fun. Got to tell you, the first time you actually complete a stage well, it's a pretty good adrenaline rush. You'll be able to tell by the goofy grin on any shooters face as they finish!

Check out both the USPSA and IDPA web sites: Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association, IDPA - Welcome!

If you head out to Douglas Ridge, you can get your orientation and shoot the same day. They let new people shoot without going through a "class," just having the RO's guide you through the match as you go.

If you want to do a more formal class, then there is one at ARPC the first weekend of the month, then you can shoot the match the next weekend. Check out this website for more info on USPSA and local clubs. The clubs also have a lot of info online, especially ARPC.

Columbia Cascade Section - USPSA

I was not able to find a requirment by USPSA for a 4 hour class on the website under "getting started".

Some clubs offer this but it is up to each local match director to do a "safety check" for first time shooters. I only know of a few that took the class at ARPC. I think you mite have to take a safety class at Tri-county???(I am not a member there) No class is required at DRRC. I have shot close to 20 matches and never took a class. I meet brand new shooters at every match. I will be taking th R.O. class being held at DRRC in March:s0155: You can never know to much:s0114:

For the revolver guys and gals you can also compete. Bring lots of moon clips

Since I started USPSA at Albany, I was under the impression that the class was a requirement. Thanks for correcting my mistake. USPSA has been an exciting endeavor and I don't want to be giving out any wrong information.

Comment #7 - I agree
If you show to a local match, most guys are very helpful and will help you pick out gear - even loan you some if you need it. And, most of us have boxes of gear that just doesn't work for us, but might work for you ... so it could be had cheap.

Comment #10 - TC IDPA is $15 / match. No club membership. You have to join IDPA after your first, or second, match which is about $50. Local clubs set rules as far as safety briefings pre-shooting matches. TriCounty has day of the match new shooter orientation - that is NEW TO TRICOUNTY IDPA - you could have 50 years experience and need to take the 30-45 minute orientation.
Other clubs may have a different fee schedule. I saw a survey and most places across the USA are $25 or less.

USPSA is no longer at TriCounty - due to TC having local rules - no muzzle over the berm.
BUT, TC does offer other defensive pistol competitions - see their website for contact information. Tri-County Gun Club | Firearms Training Facility | A Private Club Open to Members and Guests

Comment #8 - the rules are the difference between IPSC - USPSA - IDPA and other defensive leagues. USPSA can be run & gun, and gear intensive at certain levels. Production divisions are easier to get started in. IDPA does not have open divisions - limits the number of mags you can carry, have to have a concealment garment (hoodie, hawaiian shirt, rain jacket, or one of those evil gamer vests)

Comment #13 - Puyallup? Not sure if that qualifies as Greater Seattle - and on the IDPA web site all the clubs can be found.

Comment #18 - YES for IDPA, You will not win your division, but I personally think shooting your carry gun is a great way to go.
You could be very competitive at a BUG match. LC9s are small enough that your daily carry method may not fit within the IDPA rules - even though many IWB setups are OK, Appendix, cross draw, small of back, and pocket are not) So do check the rules. There is an official IDPA forum if you have specific questions - IDPAforum Forums
One of the competitors at TC shoots a Shield, with the short mag, because that is what he carries.

Glock Sport Shooting Foundation - GSSF - is a great series if you use one of their guns - and you could win a Glock at every match.
These typically go around to the various ranges, rather than being every month at the same place. Glock Sport Shooting Foundation

I also recommend Steel - Speed Steel, Steel Challenge, Ruger Rimfire - as these matches require good gun handling - trigger control, aim, trigger control.

Besides the sport rules, do check for range rules before you go - where you can handle your pistol, lost brass, muzzle over the berm, and others can make some of the unprepared crazy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top