JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing wrong with a LEE press or kit. You get a lot for your money. Anybody that tells you differently either has never owned a Lee or is just press biased. millions probably billions of rounds have been reloaded with Lee presses throughout time.

They are inexpencive but reliable.

nobody said that they wouldn't load ammo, but what was said is that for smoother operation (ie easier on the arm) other presses are better. Anyone who denies that just wants to think that their cheap press is just as good.

No bashing on the cheaper presses, but if you are actually arguing that the softer cheaper metal presses are just as sturdy we are in a physics argument.

Did you actually let the electronics 'warm' for a full 10 minutes? No breezes in the room.
Did you calibrate?
I just don't see a digital being off after so short of a time after calibration.

Yes, yes, and yes. We we very, very, surprised. The off-brand digitals like you see on Ebay were pure junk. The two RCBS units couldn't be trusted at all. This experiment we did was at room temperature over several hours - no breeze or it would have affected the beams too.

nobody said that they wouldn't load ammo, but what was said is that for smoother operation (ie easier on the arm) other presses are better. Anyone who denies that just wants to think that their cheap press is just as good.

No bashing on the cheaper presses, but if you are actually arguing that the softer cheaper metal presses are just as sturdy we are in a physics argument.

All we are saying is that the better of the Lee presses are plenty good enough. Do you need a Rolls Royce or can you get by with a Honda Accord if you're on a budget? I think of the Dillon as a Lexus and a Lee as the Honda Accord. Both will get you there just fine. It's your pocketbook. How much comfort can you afford, or even if you have lots of money, how much are you willing to pay for?

I know a guy who spent about $2,500 on a Dillon 650, several caliber changes and a full set of accessories including a chrony. He hasn't even used it. Think of how much ammo he could have bought for that.

Just for me, the purpose of reloading is to save money while making superior rounds tuned to the gun.

Jack at Dan-Dee Sales (in our vendor section) told me he can get and sell XM193 for $350 per thousand. Heck, even though I reload, I just ordered 2k rounds of that from him for $700, because I get the brass back, and also it's ready to go.

I will agree that the cheapest Lee press is good only for lightweight work, but it costs only $30. I have one dedicated to swaging military primer pockets and that's very handy. If it breaks, so what? I'm referring to the Lee Reloader model. It shouldn't be bought as a primary press but there have been millions of rounds loaded on them. They are a cheap alloy and are for light duty and are sold as such.

For those of us who have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a Lee Classic Turret or Lee Pro 1000, you'll never convince us that they aren't "plenty good enough."

No need for a physics arguement. I didn't say you could run over a Cast Lee press with a truck, but really does a press really need to be that strong? You aren't beating on it with a hammer here. The Lee cast presses are stronger then they need to be and I've never broken one. I suppose if you reload using a hammer and a chizel by all means buy a forged steel press. However if your not a hammer mechanic I think you'll find the lee plenty rugged for your needs.

Easier? My 6 year old girl has no problem making bullets with a lee under daddys close super vision of course. (True story BTW)

No need for a physics arguement. I didn't say you could run over a Cast Lee press with a truck, but really does a press really need to be that strong? You aren't beating on it with a hammer here. The Lee cast presses are stronger then they need to be and I've never broken one. I suppose if you reload using a hammer and a chizel by all means buy a forged steel press. However if your not a hammer mechanic I think you'll find the lee plenty rugged for your needs.

Easier? My 6 year old girl has no problem making bullets with a lee under daddys close super vision of course. (True story BTW)

Isn't the stress on the press directly related to the size of the cartridge being loaded?

Isn't the stress on the press directly related to the size of the cartridge being loaded?

Not at all. Military brass is thicker than commercial brass so a larger commercial case might actually be easier to size.

Autos tend to have looser chambers and the brass may stretch more, requiring more force to resize.

We lube all rifle cases before sizing regardless of brand or price of press. Cases aren't that tough, being fairly thin brass. We're saying that it isn't an issue.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top